Sauber C36 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Cardex94

Re: Sauber C36 Ferrari

did anyone noticed the cuts in the upperbody of the diffuser?

gandharva

More details.

Last edited by gandharva on 20 Feb 2017, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

Cardex94 wrote:http://abload.de/img/backw4raa.jpg
Should be an attached Gourney Flap.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FrukostScones

those cockpit fins...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Gridlock

Are those camera stalks on the nose just in front of the leading edge of the suspension? :wtf:

I thought they were gone.

turbof1

Gridlock wrote:Are those camera stalks on the nose just in front of the leading edge of the suspension? :wtf:

I thought they were gone.
Well, there is some space between them (some pictures look a bit deceptive), but they are in line with eachother yeah. Looks like Sauber put them quite clever to reduce blockage and disturbance.
#AeroFrodo

timbo

I quite like the car. It looks proportional to my eye, which Sauber cars from the last couple of seasons didn't. Of course pretty doesn't mean fast.

It would be interesting to see how split intake works -- do both channels feed the compressor, or only one and the other just does cooling. IMO on the current cars the packaging is quite compromised in the airbox due to entanglement of cooling and engine intake channels, splitting them horizontally might work better as far as packaging is concerned.

The rear of the car is interesting. I have the impression that they do all they could to get as much diffuser/rear wing coupling as possible,
Last edited by timbo on 20 Feb 2017, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

Cardex94

Thunders wrote:
Cardex94 wrote:http://abload.de/img/backw4raa.jpg
Should be an attached Gourney Flap.
I mean here, that part where is surrounded by red, the arrow is pointing it.
Sorry for my english

aral

Holm86 wrote:It doesnt look like its got the raised leading edge of the floor like the Williams??
That is because it is not a Williams! :roll:

godlameroso

ME4ME wrote:Livery aside, I don't agree with some comments that the car looks "basic" and is "disappointing". Actually if you look closely there a lot of highly refined details on the car. It's a huge step forward for Sauber and you can clearly see they spend a lot of development time on it. I'm quite impressed.
Someone with functioning eyes!
Saishū kōnā

GPR-A duplicate2

Image The complex front wings that we are witnessing on Sauber (and also on Williams) is a testimony for the rear downforce that they are achieving. Without having a great deal of rear downforce, they couldn't have accomplished these front wings that Red Bull and Mercedes were using previously. These cars are definitely going to be some challenge for drivers. I just can't imagine what the RB and Merc are coming out with.

WaikeCU

GPR-A wrote:http://abload.de/img/wing2dpq21.jpg The complex front wings that we are witnessing on Sauber (and also on Williams) is a testimony for the rear downforce that they are achieving. Without having a great deal of rear downforce, they couldn't have accomplished these front wings that Red Bull and Mercedes were using previously. These cars are definitely going to be some challenge for drivers. I just can't imagine what the RB and Merc are coming out with.
So I assume, those front wings need to be more complex than ever, because of the increase of rear downforce. If the front wing doesn't get more complex, I assume the car would be heavily understeering.

dren

The front wings are wider, so they are generating more DF due to the added wing length. Since they are wider, they don't have to 'give up' more of the end width to drive the air outside of the front tire wake (it's already in front of the tire).

The Sauber front wing has a flat, straight leading edge, while the Williams swoops backwards at a slight angle.

The Sauber is already quite detailed. The rear suspension uprights are rather bulky. The drive shaft looks contained within the lower arm like the top teams are doing.

The sidepods are rather flat along the length and then curve in sharply to expose the upper area of the diffuser to as much air as possible.

I like the look of the rear wing support and the swept wing end plates.
Honda!

henry

Looking at the rear wing it looks more like a bi-plane than last year's. What was a slot gap is now very large.

Maybe that is with DRS open. In which case the top element will be virtually perpendicular when closed.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Scuderia1967

henry wrote:Looking at the rear wing it looks more like a bi-plane than last year's. What was a slot gap is now very large.

Maybe that is with DRS open. In which case the top element will be virtually perpendicular when closed.
That's just an optical illusion due to the unpainted carbon fibre