Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
iulian_florea

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

I expected the Ferrari to be fast this week-end, but not by such a margin.
Is it possible that the new enlarged intake improves somehow the flow to the rear of the car?

I

designf1

@ImanHansra
The top half of the new, forward element is perhaps the most interesting area of the revised bargeboard set-up – from the above view, the part appears to have some camber, the result of which will be a pressure differential being set up and a vortex being produced.

Given that the height of this vortex will be lower than the top of the main bargeboard, it is possible that this high-energy flow is being used to energise the inboard boundary layer of the main bargeboard, lowering the tendency for it to separate and lead to a rise in pressure drag/loss in bargeboard efficiency.

This could have been achieved by creating a greater number of slots in the main bargeboard, but this would have weakened the vortices shed by it, lowering its effectiveness in directing around around the sidepods, as well as diverting the front tyre wake away from the rear of the car.

[media]https://twitter.com/ImanHansra/status/9 ... 3148975106[/media]

CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

.poz

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 08:55
Finally some images of the PU from the sides and from behind:
better quality (from motorsport.com)

godlameroso

I see why Ferrari has such a fast car, even the insides are designed with aero performance in mind.
Saishū kōnā

digitalrurouni

I gotta say this car is getting more and more beautiful as the season progresses. What an engineering masterpiece this car is. It just works everywhere. Mercedes is way more peaky and needs a hell of a driver to get most out of it at least that is how it appears to me. However this car does seem to struggle a bit in cooler temps no unlike the Merc which thrives in cold temps (in relation to tires).

SectorOne

The exhaust looks completely squashed. Or is it just an illusion?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

cramr

SectorOne wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 17:12
I think it's an illusion. It bends towards the turbo

SectorOne

cramr wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 17:55
SectorOne wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 17:12
I think it's an illusion. It bends towards the turbo
I´m not talking about bends though, i can see the pipe being bent up and down but closer to the rear wing the exhaust looks oval, not circular.

Do they have any components above the exhaust in that area or is it purely for airflow, hence the exhaust being oval?
I assume regulations stipulate the exhaust tip to be circular so i find that fairly interesting why they did that.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

DiogoBrand

I think most teams have the exhaust pipe distorted in some way to help packaging, some with the swan neck running through it, some with the wastegate tubes moulded around the main exhaust and so on.

turbof1

The following message is made from a hardware POV. It's not here to discuss regulatory rammifications.

Vettel's gearbox seems to have survived unscathed. Tough piece of hardware!
#AeroFrodo

Big Mangalhit

I think it's because the force was executed on the wheel in perpedicular to the support arms. So that made them break in their weakest points (probably the mounting points) and immediately get loose from the gearbox, instead of transferring the force into the gears themselves. I think if you hit a wall laterally (like that Alonso pre season freak accident) it is much more damaging for the gearbox.

PhillipM

Yes, seems to have lifted up and ripped the driveshaft out of the star, rather than ramming the shaft into the 'box.

Sevach

Vettel had a different suspension geometry in Malaysia.
https://t.co/iX6JTEBRdE

garyjpaterson

Difficult to tell, but it almost looks like they are pushing the top wishbone a bit higher - not nearly to the same extent as the TR or MB where its completely outboard though.

I wonder how many teams will do that next year, and if MB and TR will continue it moving forward (I kinda had the thought that it was to keep their options open regarding setup, and may save weight/complexity next year when the tyres/aero are more known - but I'm probably speaking rubbish!)