Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

This is parts being elastic, not being moved by driver like DRS, F-duct or being influential to aero platform like FRIC... Other than failing to pass regulated tests (which they obviously did) FIA has no reason or cause to ban this. They could by simply changing the regulations, but it's not likely to happen this season without safety concerns. And I honestly can't see any...
bhall II wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 21:54
I think what we see in that GIF are sparks being deflected by the rear wheel's bow wave.
Most definitely. But it works in conjunction with diffuser - it sucks the air towards it and tyres push it in there as well. Of this I have no doubt...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

bhall II

Yes, but to make any sort of quantitative assessment of local air flow based upon the trajectory of those sparks, given the fact that they've gotta go somewhere, seems odd to me. Some are deflected inside, some are deflected outside, and some of them even get run over.

roon

bhall II wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 22:21
Some are deflected inside, some are deflected outside, and some of them even get run over.
-Pastor Maldonado on approaching other cars on a racetrack.

But in all seriousness, I think it's time to address the really important question: does downforce increase when driving through sparks?

f1316

roon wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 23:16
bhall II wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 22:21
Some are deflected inside, some are deflected outside, and some of them even get run over.
-Pastor Maldonado on approaching other cars on a racetrack.

But in all seriousness, I think it's time to address the really important question: does downforce increase when driving through sparks?
Given you have to be close to another car in order to drive through sparks, you would imagine the exact opposite :wink: :D

bonjon1979

bhall II wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 21:54
I think what we see in that GIF are sparks being deflected by the rear wheel's bow wave.

https://twitter.com/FiftyBuckss/status/ ... 8364706816
If you watch closely, you'll see that one of the sparks is deflected inward to the diffuser at the exact moment part of the floor flexes down. I suspect there could be a lot of questions about this to come.

hamilton#1

Henk wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 01:20
f1316 wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 14:43
What are the load tests on the floor? And how are they applied?

Ultimately, a front wing is legal if it passes the necessary tests - even if during the race we see footage of it flexing like mad; Red Bull proved that multiple times.

I suspect it will be the same with the floor (and potentially FIA will look to introduce stronger loads if they don't like what's happening) but must admit I don't know what kind of tests the floor undergoes.
I don't know if they test the floor either but any moveable earo device other than DRS is not allowed. This is how they banned FRIC and how they clarified the rules on suspension. Presumably the FIA can just ban this overnight.
The floor is tested at the front of the floor and near the rear tyres, but this is no rule. So if they want to, the FIA can measure de loads on the floor at any point at any time.

ScrewCaptain27

Via AMuS:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

ferkan

Updated FW

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

DiogoBrand

Mercedes style tunnel?

Sevach

PlatinumZealot

Ooh! That slot was definitely designed to flex! They used a metal bit instead of carbon at the base of it. Not to mention it is an outright cantilever. It probably opens up to change the size and strength of the vortex at different speeds and yaw.. Very clever.

I hope mercedes copies this quickly.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Henk

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 20:59
This is parts being elastic, not being moved by driver like DRS, F-duct or being influential to aero platform like FRIC... Other than failing to pass regulated tests (which they obviously did) FIA has no reason or cause to ban this. They could by simply changing the regulations, but it's not likely to happen this season without safety concerns. And I honestly can't see any...
The front wing loads test was changed based on front wings being too elastic. The FIA can ban this by just stating that they suspect it gives an earo gain and then change the load test. If there is no earo gain Ferrari also wouldn't mind changing it.

Come to think of it, they should use this rule to ban the T-wing by just increasing the load to the heaviest thing they can attach to it.

marvin78

What's bad with the T-Wing?