The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER
21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

mclaren111 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:49 pm
Quick question from a non engineer.

Is it possible to use a V8 ( +- 2.0 litre ) turbo but allow only 4 cylinders that can charge the turbo, and use the other 4 cylinders to increase the sound ??

Thus, you have 1 exhaust for turbo cylinders and another for the non turbo cylinders and the waste gates as they are now.

Thank you.
It is possible, but a very stupid thing to do.

Also... trading efficiency for "Moar noise" is the epitome of stupidity, especially when you have to make the system more complex to do so.

User avatar
mclaren111
223
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Shithole - South Africa

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:08 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:49 pm
Quick question from a non engineer.

Is it possible to use a V8 ( +- 2.0 litre ) turbo but allow only 4 cylinders that can charge the turbo, and use the other 4 cylinders to increase the sound ??

Thus, you have 1 exhaust for turbo cylinders and another for the non turbo cylinders and the waste gates as they are now.

Thank you.
It is possible, but a very stupid thing to do.

Also... trading efficiency for "Moar noise" is the epitome of stupidity, especially when you have to make the system more complex to do so.
How do you propose to increase noise ?

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER
21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

mclaren111 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:15 pm
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:08 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:49 pm
Quick question from a non engineer.

Is it possible to use a V8 ( +- 2.0 litre ) turbo but allow only 4 cylinders that can charge the turbo, and use the other 4 cylinders to increase the sound ??

Thus, you have 1 exhaust for turbo cylinders and another for the non turbo cylinders and the waste gates as they are now.

Thank you.
It is possible, but a very stupid thing to do.

Also... trading efficiency for "Moar noise" is the epitome of stupidity, especially when you have to make the system more complex to do so.
How do you propose to increase noise ?
Pick up your remote control and press the little button that increases the volume.

roon
roon
449
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

Putting aside the evocative words like "pinnacle" and making a distinction between invention & development, I'll maintain that F1 is a well-funded & staffed platform which creates highly sophisticated hardware of which hasn't existed before. Particularly with aero devices but also other areas of the cars.

It's particularly easy to see in the current formula. When before were race engines displaying such combustion efficiency? Where did such an MGU-H of apparent qualities exist before?

roon
roon
449
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:15 pm
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:08 pm


It is possible, but a very stupid thing to do.

Also... trading efficiency for "Moar noise" is the epitome of stupidity, especially when you have to make the system more complex to do so.
How do you propose to increase noise ?
Pick up your remote control and press the little button that increases the volume.
True aficionados light firecrackers inside their ear canals during the race.

User avatar
mclaren111
223
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Shithole - South Africa

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:15 pm
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:08 pm


It is possible, but a very stupid thing to do.

Also... trading efficiency for "Moar noise" is the epitome of stupidity, especially when you have to make the system more complex to do so.
How do you propose to increase noise ?
Pick up your remote control and press the little button that increases the volume.
Fact is they sound silly at the moment and something has to be done to correct it !!

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER
21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

mclaren111 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:33 am
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:15 pm


How do you propose to increase noise ?
Pick up your remote control and press the little button that increases the volume.
Fact is they sound silly at the moment and something has to be done to correct it !!
I don't think you know what a "fact" is. They sound fine, go to a race and you will see for yourself, The broadcast does not do the current sound full justice.

rjsa
rjsa
69
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:01 am

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:05 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:33 am
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm


Pick up your remote control and press the little button that increases the volume.
Fact is they sound silly at the moment and something has to be done to correct it !!
I don't think you know what a "fact" is. They sound fine, go to a race and you will see for yourself, The broadcast does not do the current sound full justice.
No they don't sound fine and I regret spending the money to find out.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER
21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

rjsa wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:51 pm
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:05 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:33 am


Fact is they sound silly at the moment and something has to be done to correct it !!
I don't think you know what a "fact" is. They sound fine, go to a race and you will see for yourself, The broadcast does not do the current sound full justice.
No they don't sound fine and I regret spending the money to find out.
Oh well, if you need loud in your motorsport try NHRA, much cheaper tickets

rjsa
rjsa
69
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:01 am

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:48 pm
rjsa wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:51 pm
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:05 pm


I don't think you know what a "fact" is. They sound fine, go to a race and you will see for yourself, The broadcast does not do the current sound full justice.
No they don't sound fine and I regret spending the money to find out.
Oh well, if you need loud in your motorsport try NHRA, much cheaper tickets
Better yet, you go play greenwashing car racing and watching LMP1 die and leave F1 alone.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER
21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

rjsa wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:35 pm
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:48 pm
rjsa wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:51 pm


No they don't sound fine and I regret spending the money to find out.
Oh well, if you need loud in your motorsport try NHRA, much cheaper tickets
Better yet, you go play greenwashing car racing and watching LMP1 die and leave F1 alone.
The current PU's may not be loud but they are still the most powerful raceday power plants in F1 history, while still using much less fuel than a loud V10. "greenwash" that

rjsa
rjsa
69
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:01 am

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:14 pm
rjsa wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:35 pm
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:48 pm


Oh well, if you need loud in your motorsport try NHRA, much cheaper tickets
Better yet, you go play greenwashing car racing and watching LMP1 die and leave F1 alone.
The current PU's may not be loud but they are still the most powerful raceday power plants in F1 history, while still using much less fuel than a loud V10. "greenwash" that
Let's start by accounting the amount of jet fuel burned hauling the stuff around.

It's silly. No one really cares about how much fuel the engines are burning. It's nothing more than greenwashing and marketing by the OEMs. And will help to kill the sport. Like it's doing to LMP1.

User avatar
mclaren111
223
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Shithole - South Africa

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

Totally agree.

F1 must move away from this "green" sport nonsense.

There is a hundred other ways where they can help "save" the planet.

Just by banning in season testing they have saved enough to give them a "free ride" for the next 30 years !!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
Stormy
1
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

mclaren111 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:13 pm
Totally agree.

F1 must move away from this "green" sport nonsense.

There is a hundred other ways where they can help "save" the planet.

Just by banning in season testing they have saved enough to give them a "free ride" for the next 30 years !!!!!!!!!!
It's not just about saving the world. It's about the big manufacturers showcasing their technology which is the future of the automotive industry. They don't care about IC engines anymore, that's the past and it will be reserved only for enthusiasts in the future.

zac510
zac510
39
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:58 am

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Post

mclaren111 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:13 pm
F1 must move away from this "green" sport nonsense.

There is a hundred other ways where they can help "save" the planet.
Yes and they should do all of them, too!