Haas VF-18 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Haas VF-18 Ferrari

It's too different perspective to take tyre sizes like that. Try aligning rim diameters.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GM7

Like that ?

f1316

Very interesting if accurate - last year the Haas had exactly the same wheelbase as the Ferrari; if this year’s is shorter still, it would fly in the face of the idea of Ferrari and Mercedes converging on wheelbase - maybe Ferrari have, in fact, doubled down on their shorter concept (not forgetting, of course, that the Red Bull was already shorter).

Vanja #66

That's what I meant GM7. :) But it still doesn't make sense to me, render of VF-18 is too different from photo of VF-17. And also, looks to me like different rear rims, with deeper position of central nut. Maybe it's best for us to wait photos from testing to make any reasonable comparison. :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mmred

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 22:16
That's what I meant GM7. :) But it still doesn't make sense to me, render of VF-18 is too different from photo of VF-17. And also, looks to me like different rear rims, with deeper position of central nut. Maybe it's best for us to wait photos from testing to make any reasonable comparison. :)
10 cm of wheel base is purely mental waste of time
it s more the result of package optimizatiton than a specific setup
cause from a setup dynamic perspective even a different rear suspensions affects a zillion more the car behaviour on sharp turns than 10 cm can
and that s what we ve seen so far
cars with stiffer rear suspensions struggling to optimize a constant ride height, while cars with soft ones getting the beneifit of a dynicmic setup and better traction in sharp turns ( obvioulsy loosing the advantage on fast turns where stiffer suspensions allow more grip, but compensating with their dynamic aero )

in the end wheel base means nothing
it s just th result of an optimization of the suspensions ( stiffer suspensions try to compensate the aero disadvantage with a bit motre space behind the wheels )

GM7

“Our 2017 car was actually pretty good, but we didn’t always get the best out of it, and that’s what we aimed to change in 2018. We got the car as light as possible to carry more ballast. We were able to do a better job of putting the weight where we wanted it.”

That's maybe why they chose to make a shorter wheelbase or to keep the same wheelbase. This year the weight of the car will be a bigger preoccupation than last year and Grosjean is a tall driver by the way. Haas is a small team, they have difficulties to setup the car, so a lighter concept to carry more ballasts and an easier setup may be better than a longer wheelbase without ballast for them...

f1316

SO this is just a bit of fun, and by no means do I think it's 100% accurate (various caveats about photo angles, the method I've used , etc.) but for my own interests, I thought this might give a representation of whether we're looking shorter/longer/the same:

I don't think that number can possibly be right - it's not 10cm shorter than last year's shortest car (or is it? :P ) - but it might at least suggest that it's likely to be less than the 3594mm they (and Ferrari) ran last year.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Zynerji

Is anyone else getting the feeling that we may have the most competitive season in years in 2018?

If all of these cars perform as good as they look and sound, we are in for a crackin' season!

DiogoBrand

To me their sidepods, front wing, flow conditioners and nose look almost identical to Ferrari's from last year. Makes me wonder how far their partnership goes.

GM7

This pic :lol: New rear wing btw