Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

It's allways Renault's fault for this dude #-o
The PU is ready so don't whine and --- your pants.
And it seems Renault is telling RB to piss off, not the contrary.

Just_a_fan

If Renault give RedBull the best engine on the grid this year, RedBull will still claim it's all the car. #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mat-tes

Sort of on the topic of engine, I don't know if this has been asked before:

Redbull used to have an engine cover made out of a single piece, but since the rb13 (I think), they reverted to a traditional 3 pieces assembly while Ferrari is still using a single piece engine cover (up to 2017 at least).
I remember seeing pictures during Thursday preparation of the crates coming in with the complete engine cover in one large box while all the other teams had smaller boxes.

Was there any advantage in term of rigidity for that? Or can it be considered minor and they ditched it for practicality reason. I'd assume it's trickier to transport than 3 smaller pieces and more importantly 3 elements are not as demanding to fabricate + replace if one side gets damaged.
Maybe there's a tiny weight gain (need less fixations and bolts/rivet) but I'd assume that wouldn't be the entire reasoning behind this.

If I'm not mistaken and they reverted to a 3 piece setup after the rb12, that would correspond with Adrian Newey gradually stepping away from design (during the rb12 life), while we know he has been back and more involved in the rb14 design. If there is a real advantage to it, would they go back to their previous design or keep the more conventional 3 pieces assembly?

Regarding overall design, will we see them going a bit more crazy on the slit design ahead of the floor like other team? For now they didn't really invest much in that area.

Santozini

Mat-tes wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 12:01
Sort of on the topic of engine, I don't know if this has been asked before:

Redbull used to have an engine cover made out of a single piece, but since the rb13 (I think), they reverted to a traditional 3 pieces assembly while Ferrari is still using a single piece engine cover (up to 2017 at least).
I remember seeing pictures during Thursday preparation of the crates coming in with the complete engine cover in one large box while all the other teams had smaller boxes.

Was there any advantage in term of rigidity for that? Or can it be considered minor and they ditched it for practicality reason. I'd assume it's trickier to transport than 3 smaller pieces and more importantly 3 elements are not as demanding to fabricate + replace if one side gets damaged.
Maybe there's a tiny weight gain (need less fixations and bolts/rivet) but I'd assume that wouldn't be the entire reasoning behind this.

If I'm not mistaken and they reverted to a 3 piece setup after the rb12, that would correspond with Adrian Newey gradually stepping away from design (during the rb12 life), while we know he has been back and more involved in the rb14 design. If there is a real advantage to it, would they go back to their previous design or keep the more conventional 3 pieces assembly?

Regarding overall design, will we see them going a bit more crazy on the slit design ahead of the floor like other team? For now they didn't really invest much in that area.
smoother surface -> less drag :D

ScrewCaptain27

Possible hint to the livery?
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

FrukostScones

Honda white outlines 8)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dimitarvv

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/statu ... 6762386433
19th of February it is for the RB14.

carisi2k

FrukostScones wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 16:13
Honda white outlines 8)
Hey, I have been pushing that narrative!!!!

Webber2011

carisi2k wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 02:11
FrukostScones wrote:
Honda white outlines 8)
As much as I'd love to see Honda come good and Red Bull-Honda to become a reality this year, I'm just not buying it guys.

IF, and that's a big if :lol: :lol: :lol: they were planning this, then surely someone's spies would have seen a meeting, or caught a glimpse of Honda employee at Milton Keynes or vice versa ? ? ?

There's no way they could keep such a secret under wraps........surely not ? ? ?

carisi2k

Blackout wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 10:24
It's allways Renault's fault for this dude #-o
The PU is ready so don't whine and --- your pants.
And it seems Renault is telling RB to piss off, not the contrary.
This is a speculation thread after all and my speculation is that the RB14 will be Honda powered.

Renault have told RB to piss off in 2019. My hypothesis is that Red Bull are telling them to piss off in 2018. Aside from that one bit of information about Renault telling them they have fixed there reliability, we have heard nothing from RBR about Renault.

Red Bull have had access to Honda since September and since then we have heard nothing but positives about the spec 4.0 and 2018 engine and how it fits in the STR12/13 from the RBR bosses. With no Renault engine to test over thw northern hemi's winter and the Honda in the factory why wouldn't you slip the Honda into the RB13/14 to see how it fits in a Red Bull chassis.

RBR have a customer supply deal and so long as RBR pay Renault the money for the engines in the contract for 2018 then it doesn't really matter if the Renault engines go into the RB14 or not. Renault have no naming or sponsorship on the RB that would make the break impossible. The RBR / Renault relationship is a dead duck and while we have been hearing plenty from Mclaren about the Renault engine we haven't heard anything from RBR.

Mclaren have apparently been over to viry to help with their dyno because Renault no longer have access to the red bull dyno. Max comes out and says we would be unbeatable with Mercedes engines on the day the rb14 launch date is announced is another dig at Renault.

Face it the RBR and Renault bit is done and RBR are ready to move on already.

carisi2k

Webber2011 wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 02:55
carisi2k wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
Honda white outlines 8)
As much as I'd love to see Honda come good and Red Bull-Honda to become a reality this year, I'm just not buying it guys.

IF, and that's a big if :lol: :lol: :lol: they were planning this, then surely someone's spies would have seen a meeting, or caught a glimpse of Honda employee at Milton Keynes or vice versa ? ? ?

There's no way they could keep such a secret under wraps........surely not ? ? ?
Honda employees have been at milton keynes on the RBT test rig for Torro Rosso. You know who hasn't been seen at milton keynes since the end of 2017 is a Renault employee.

Webber2011

carisi2k wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 03:02
Webber2011 wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 02:55
carisi2k wrote:

Honda employees have been at milton keynes on the RBT test rig for Torro Rosso. You know who hasn't been seen at milton keynes since the end of 2017 is a Renault employee.
Hmmmm

I understood that Honda were using Red Bull facilities to prepare for the Torro Rosso deal, but had no idea that Renault haven't been cooperating

Interesting info, thanks for that mate

Kinda makes me think again to be honest, but I still reckon it would be nigh on impossible to keep something like this a secret

Don't get me wrong, it's my dream for a Red Bull-Honda to give Dan Riccardo and Mad Max a car that will battle at the front this season

Are you really convinced they will team up ?

carisi2k

The only thing that would surprise me is if there actually is a Renault in the RB14. A whole winter without talking, discussing or co operation with Renault and Mclaren being actively involved with helping Renault on the dyno. The relationship is dead and buried and it doesn't make sense to continue it just because of a contract. Both sides get want they want. Honda gets 2 teams, Renault gets 2 teams as they sure can't handle 3 teams. RBR get better with no longer having to deal with cyril.

Red Bull have hired Hasegawa which I am assuming is to handle the integration of Honda into RBR and STR. STR is now called Red Bull STR Honda. My understanding is that Honda is thriving in the RBT/RBR/STR environment. They have been freed of all the restrictions put on them by Mclaren in regards to size zero packaging.

lio007

carisi2k wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 03:33
The only thing that would surprise me is if there actually is a Renault in the RB14. A whole winter without talking, discussing or co operation with Renault and Mclaren being actively involved with helping Renault on the dyno. The relationship is dead and buried and it doesn't make sense to continue it just because of a contract. Both sides get want they want. Honda gets 2 teams, Renault gets 2 teams as they sure can't handle 3 teams. RBR get better with no longer having to deal with cyril.

Red Bull have hired Hasegawa which I am assuming is to handle the integration of Honda into RBR and STR. STR is now called Red Bull STR Honda. My understanding is that Honda is thriving in the RBT/RBR/STR environment. They have been freed of all the restrictions put on them by Mclaren in regards to size zero packaging.
What?
Red Bull has hired Hasegawa? Are you sure?

carisi2k

He is at the red bull technology facility I believe. I read it somewhere at the end of last year.