Williams FW41 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jagunx51

Re: Williams FW41 Mercedes

Manoah2u wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 00:03

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/amp ... 666679.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMhQcJHVAAAc9qY.jpg
https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... s-fw41.jpg

honestly, i don't see any agressive breach from the predecessors. all i see is a 'natural' evolution.
the sidepod is Ferrari style
............!!!!

Raleigh

Everything about this car screams Williams are going all out for downforce and you can't get much different from their past aproach in the V6 era than that.
Last edited by Raleigh on 16 Feb 2018, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach

sprint car76

Don't like the paint, not radical enough, looks the same as last year, really.

Love the car, much different than last year. I wouldn't care if it was painted flat black. Always excited by the start of a new year. Very much doubt that there will be someone with a radically different car under the present rules.

Enjoy it, racing soon.

designf1

From an external standpoint, the most significant change to the Williams car for 2018 appears to be the sidepod area. The intake is preceded by an array of fins, much like the 2017 Ferrari, into which Dirk de Beer had a large input. The first thing to note is that the entire sidepod intake has been raised significantly, now being almost half its previous height.

https://formulaone21.files.wordpress.co ... arison.png

This requires a very good cooling package in order to avoid overheating, but the benefit is less impact of front tyre turbulence on internal airflows, reducing drag. Ahead of the intake, the upper two vanes seem to be aimed at directing the flow downwards, in the direction of the initial sidepod slope, ensuring the smoothest possible flow entry.

https://formulaone21.files.wordpress.co ... idepod.png

A more global view of the new sidepods provides a greater insight into how they might work. The blue arrow above indicates the direction of flow exiting the bargeboards, which is trying to pull the front tyre wake as far outwards as possible, around the rear tyres. Meanwhile, the extremely narrow new sidepod design provides more space between the rear wheel and bodywork for airflow to travel through, making this path ‘more attractive’. Overall therefore, it is possible that there is less airflow heading towards the rear tyres, lowering their negative consequences in terms of drag and squirting flow laterally into the diffuser’s path.

[media]https://twitter.com/ImanHansra/status/9 ... 5571666944[/media]

FW17

Does the cape under the nose extend all the way to the barge board?

Redragon

FW17 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 04:54
Does the cape under the nose extend all the way to the barge board?
Same thought, I believe it does. At least from the frontal view

Gerhardsa

Its funny how both cars launched has an iteration of the 2017 Ferrari side pods. I had a feeling the other teams will incorporate this into their new designs. Glad to see it

Vanja #66

FW41 has only two elements on upper side pod intake lip, contrary to SF-70H and VF-18 - who have 3. This is a better solution, as it creates less lift, but only if they managed to solve adverse pressure gradient flow separation issues. Which I'm sure they did. Great to see aggressive car evolution compared to last year, and great to see so many teams adopting this new side pod design, as was predicted a year ago by some members on this forum.

I fully expect Red Bull to integrate Ferrari-like side pod solution as well, maybe even Mercedes.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Manoah2u

lol, people complained how the 2008 cars looked like a mess of wings and stuff,
this looks absolutely worse as a mess of wings, even if it's functional and well-engineered.

it's going to be only a matter of time before stuff like this gets banned (again).
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GoranF1

I known aero guy told me entire nose cone might be either fake or will change to Mercedes style later
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bonjon1979

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 09:30
I known aero guy told me entire nose cone might be either fake or will change to Mercedes style later
Having seen the Mclaren documentary, I’m less convinced that teams deliberately make fake parts for the car unveiling. Maybe it’s just an early iteration of a part that’ll change.

GoranF1

bonjon1979 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 09:39
GoranF1 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 09:30
Having seen the Mclaren documentary, I’m less convinced that teams deliberately make fake parts for the car unveiling. Maybe it’s just an early iteration of a part that’ll change.
Could be, he says "dick" nose tip will not work whit the "cape"..
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bauc

Mansell89 wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 21:38
Here’s hoping that Williams have actually delivered an aero package and not just a car decent in straight lines. I have been super disappointed with them in 2015-2017.

This looks, at first glance, better.

The big question is how much aero improvement will the others bring?

Will follow Williams closely during testing
I agree, Its about time Williams make a car that is decent enough on all tracks during the season
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 08:35
FW41 has only two elements on upper side pod intake lip, contrary to SF-70H and VF-18 - who have 3. This is a better solution, as it creates less lift, but only if they managed to solve adverse pressure gradient flow separation issues. Which I'm sure they did. Great to see aggressive car evolution compared to last year, and great to see so many teams adopting this new side pod design, as was predicted a year ago by some members on this forum.

I fully expect Red Bull to integrate Ferrari-like side pod solution as well, maybe even Mercedes.
It’s interesting to see that teams across different PU manufacturers have done this and will be interesting to see if it does indeed become the de facto, must have, solution.

Moreover, I’m intrigued to see how far Ferrari take it, a year on in its evolution; it’s one thing coming to a solution new but another to have a year’s worth of experience and data. Like with other things of this nature (ebd, for example) you imagine the initial innovator has the opportunity to always be one step ahead in the development.