Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

tok-tokkie

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

How are the bell cranks manufactured?
The two pieces with the centre spring between them. I assume they are lost was castings.

Maritimer

tok-tokkie wrote:
24 May 2018, 18:43
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201805 ... 0ec078.jpg
The two pieces with the centre spring between them. I assume they are lost was castings.
5 axis mill? Probably starts out as a rough cast though.

Vanja #66

Maybe even sintered, then machined for tolerances only?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

tok-tokkie

I see no trace of machining marks on those bell cranks which is why I suggested investment casting.

Sieper

RBR is this year also investing in tidying up all these components, like the fluid reservoirs posted some time back, no generic of the shelf containers and tie wraps but a specially formed (injection molded) reservoir. Molds have been cut specially to be able to do that, costs quite some money.

e36jon

tok-tokkie wrote:
24 May 2018, 18:43
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201805 ... 0ec078.jpg
My money is on CNC of billet material. A casting, by any method (investment, pressure, die) will always have the risk of porosity & inclusions. For parts this small and highly loaded you need to start with material that has impecable qualities, hence billet. Regarding 'no visible machining marks' it is common on highly loaded parts to do handwork to polish the surface and then do a shot-peened finish. I have a Pankl con-rod that has the same production path as I am suggesting they used here...

tok-tokkie

Shot peened. Now that would explain the surface finish. I accept what you say about billet strength vs cast.

AngelicPrincess

Bell cranks are normally made of Ti, rough machined and stress relieved, then further machined to a Ra 0,8 surface finish. And as said above shot peened. Hence the lack of machining marks. Surface finish on a highly stressed component is extremely important to prolong life.

While I am at it, it is not unsual to see hudraulic conponents such as the power assisted steering rack have a golden look. That is TiN (Titanium Nitrate) coating for corrosion resistance.

godlameroso

Can you brighten the bottom image so that the bargeboards can be seen? For science.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

AngelicPrincess wrote:
25 May 2018, 19:12
Bell cranks are normally made of Ti, rough machined and stress relieved, then further machined to a Ra 0,8 surface finish. And as said above shot peened. Hence the lack of machining marks. Surface finish on a highly stressed component is extremely important to prolong life.

While I am at it, it is not unsual to see hudraulic conponents such as the power assisted steering rack have a golden look. That is TiN (Titanium Nitrate) coating for corrosion resistance.
Must cost a fortune, just the raw materials are expensive, but the machining costs. Well at least to mere mortals like myself, goes to show the craftsmanship and dedication every component is built with. It's really a shame that so many technical details are hidden behind bodywork, and stationary photos.
Saishū kōnā

AngelicPrincess

godlameroso wrote:
25 May 2018, 21:53
AngelicPrincess wrote:
25 May 2018, 19:12

Must cost a fortune, just the raw materials are expensive, but the machining costs. Well at least to mere mortals like myself, goes to show the craftsmanship and dedication every component is built with. It's really a shame that so many technical details are hidden behind bodywork, and stationary photos.
Yes very very expensive, but this is f1. I wouldn't call it craftsmanship. Nowadays the designer produces the CAD drawings to extreme detail, another one does the tool path programming and a machinist sets it up and presses go. they try to eliminate the human factor when manufacturing as much as possible, we humans just introduce inaccuracies, and in a world where everything runs to very tight tolerances thats unacceptable.

godlameroso

Ironically enough humans still have to check over the finished product for defects which machines/material quality still occasionally make.
Saishū kōnā

roon

Humans still write software. I think there might be more to the machinist's job than pressing a big green button on the 5-axis.