Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Can't believe no one mentioned about the deflectors on the floor near the side pod end plates.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

i have the feeling the halo's shown (yet) are not the 'finished' product. they are allowed to put on certain fairings but i'm seeing nothing except some 'minor' bended shapes - also it looks really, really fat compared to last season testing - but that could be just tricks of the angle.

those crash structure wings look very cool and interesing, as indeed do the sidepod openings - but also the tightness of the rear end near the gearbox.

is the halo allowed to have openings? i was actually expecting somebody to have a 'perforated' halo which might even function somewhat as a 'airduct' and i agree with other poster here that i was expecting RB to play around there

i also get the impression that the nosecone is missing something (wing-/cape-ishly) shapeful between the suspension and the wing.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 19 Feb 2018, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Thunder

Manoah2u wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 12:40
is the halo allowed to have openings? i was actually expecting somebody to have a 'perforated' halo which might even function somewhat as a 'airduct' and i agree with other poster here that i was expecting RB to play around there
I doubt it since it's a Spec Part. Also i don't think the FIA would like their newest Safety device being modified as in drilling holes in it. :shock:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Squid

Thunder wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 12:43
Manoah2u wrote:
I doubt it since it's a Spec Part. Also i don't think the FIA would like their newest Safety device being modified as in drilling holes in it. :shock:
Could that be done by using the 20mm of allowable space for fairings? That might work if they use empty space between the actual Halo structure and the fairing outer shell to serve as airducts.

Holm86

Squid wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 12:50
Thunder wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Could that be done by using the 20mm of allowable space for fairings? That might work if they use empty space between the actual Halo structure and the fairing outer shell to serve as airducts.
I think thats a possibility, im pretty sure you're not allowed to drill or cut in the halo, and its delivered by a spec company.

But using the space between the faring and the halo could be done i guess, mayby to route some extra air into the sidepods, or airintake to compensate for the disturbance in the flow towards the engine air intake

Manoah2u

Squid wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 12:50
Thunder wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
additionally, that's what i was thinking of too. creating some sort of s-duct like path.

though i don't think it'll be allowed, i do wonder in what manner the rules are written in regards to the halo. is there anything clear on that?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Mansell89

What a beautiful car that is. The Halo never even dawned on me- an outstanding livery job RBR. Gobsmacked by it if I’m honest.

Let’s really hope the Renault PU closes the gap- that car needs to be fighting Mercedes!!

I imagine there are many subtle details hidden in that livery!!

ScrewCaptain27

Good to see i’m not the only one who sees a similarity with the F14T. They had nightmares with flow attachment, hopefully RB won’t this time.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

wuzak

Mat-tes wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 11:22
http://i63.tinypic.com/2gx1ok5.jpg

The size of that opening is just mad, and it's interesting to see a different interpretation of the Ferrari sidepods lowered side crash structures.
Aren't there supposed to be two crash structures either side?

So one would be as being described, and the other in the winglet?

Holm86

wuzak wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 13:16
Mat-tes wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 11:22
http://i63.tinypic.com/2gx1ok5.jpg

The size of that opening is just mad, and it's interesting to see a different interpretation of the Ferrari sidepods lowered side crash structures.
Aren't there supposed to be two crash structures either side?

So one would be as being described, and the other in the winglet?
The top crash structure is right under the sidepod inlet, and the lower one is in the floor

GoranF1

Can't believe no one mentioned about the deflectors on the floor near the side pod end plates.
[media]https://twitter.com/f1talks/status/965534033022275584[/media]
Last edited by GoranF1 on 19 Feb 2018, 13:25, edited 2 times in total.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1

GoranF1 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 13:20
https://twitter.com/f1talks/status/965534033022275584
EDIT : how in the hell do you insert tweet now??? it was so easy before!
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Holm86

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 13:15
Good to see i’m not the only one who sees a similarity with the F14T. They had nightmares with flow attachment, hopefully RB won’t this time.
There is much more curvature in those Ferrari pods, maybe thats why they had troubles.
But the wing/flowdirector above the sidepod shoud help the flow staying attached

seezung

Highest resolution pictures I could find:

Side-view: (4095x1990px)

Front-view: (4096x2733px)

Angled:(4096x2733px)

Blackout

GoranF1 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 13:20
https://twitter.com/f1talks/status/965534033022275584
IMO the pic is misleading; there is a classic 2017 slot on the floor but the deflectors, which hang high above it, seem to be connected to the floor...but they are not...