Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 C37

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 C37

Sniffit wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 09:09
roon wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 02:08
Sniffit wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 02:07

Do you have a source for that or are you just guessing?
From the horse's mouth:

Powy wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 20:23
Jörg Zander, technical director of Sauber, talks about the car
https://youtu.be/QraXx8C5AZw
Thank you, I had completely missed that video. But going back to look at the renders that HAAS released I can't help to feel that the suspension is different.
It's common knowledge my friend.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ENGINE TUNER

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 19:05
Who needs customer parts right. =D>
Apparently Sauber(and Haas) do, according to articles Sauber are using the Ferrari gearbox and rear suspension as well as the PU , and possibly some front inboard suspension components.

roon

I wouldn't go that far. :)

Sniffit wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 09:09
roon wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 02:08
Sniffit wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 02:07
Do you have a source for that or are you just guessing?
From the horse's mouth:
Powy wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 20:23
Jörg Zander, technical director of Sauber, talks about the car
https://youtu.be/QraXx8C5AZw
Thank you, I had completely missed that video. But going back to look at the renders that HAAS released I can't help to feel that the suspension is different.
It would depend on what is included when he uses the word 'suspension.' They may still develop their own uprights, pullrods, etc., and purchase the internals like springs, rockers, and dampers. Or any combination of these parts.

PlatinumZealot

He implied the parts having to do with the geometry are the same.
"At the back of the car we have the new 2018 Ferrari engine which will power us of course to very good positions. We also have the gearbox of the Ferrari together with the Ferrari rear suspension – which meant we had to move the rear suspension by 40mm further backwards." Jorg Zander
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

skitnik

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 19:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 19:05
Who needs customer parts right. =D>
Apparently Sauber(and Haas) do, according to articles Sauber are using the Ferrari gearbox and rear suspension as well as the PU , and possibly some front inboard suspension components.
If im not mistaken, they had their own rear suspension till last year, and they always had problems with the rear. So, i guess it's a good step they took there

SmOgER

skitnik wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 01:37
Gerhardsa wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 15:05
digitalrurouni wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 14:58

Agreed but this car looks so much better than their previous attempt and I really dig the color scheme. Looks like quite the step up this car will be compared to last year's machine. Sauber getting the same engines as the 18 Ferraris? Or is it last year's engine?
Not really. They where supposed to have the recent engine last year too, beore monisha decided, now that they have money for aero updates, they could have the last years engine, so the car gets as bad as possible.
That's definitely ain't gonna happen with Alfa's name on this car. This alone puts it above Haas in priority list.

Godius

jagunx51

............!!!!

wesley123

Maybe the answer is already given earlier in the topic, but wtf are they trying to do with the sidepod intakes? The intake area isn't any smaller than if they had used a conventional intake. In my view all it seems to do is lower the sidepod a little bit, but in effect their sidepods also are much bigger and more boxy. Thanks to the extra intake on top of the sidepod the radiators have to be put very far back(and thus limiting your ability to tighten the sidepods), or have some really weird ducting.

The fact that they have the gills near the headrest implies that they have some pretty complicated ducting going on, and the 2014 McLaren already showed it doesn't work all that well.

Outside of that; what the hell are they doing with the nose? The FI like holes seem to be completely pointless as the thumb nose itself isn't any higher than last year.

Together with the blade-style roll hoop, which makes no sense either in the current ruleset, it makes me feel like they have these things on the car for the sake of being different, rather than it actually being superior.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Xwang

Maybe they are trying to solve or use some kind of interference given by the Halo or the additional opening above the sidepods are intended to be modified on track bases.

timbo

wesley123 wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 13:10
Maybe the answer is already given earlier in the topic, but wtf are they trying to do with the sidepod intakes?
I guess it's about lowering the upper crash structure, which in turn allows making the top of the sidepods rounder.
it makes me feel like they have these things on the car for the sake of being different, rather than it actually being superior.
IMO it's a bit arrogant to think this way. I'm sure every team does its best to beat the competition with the resources provided.

Manoah2u

wesley123 wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 13:10
Maybe the answer is already given earlier in the topic, but wtf are they trying to do with the sidepod intakes? The intake area isn't any smaller than if they had used a conventional intake. In my view all it seems to do is lower the sidepod a little bit, but in effect their sidepods also are much bigger and more boxy. Thanks to the extra intake on top of the sidepod the radiators have to be put very far back(and thus limiting your ability to tighten the sidepods), or have some really weird ducting.

The fact that they have the gills near the headrest implies that they have some pretty complicated ducting going on, and the 2014 McLaren already showed it doesn't work all that well.

Outside of that; what the hell are they doing with the nose? The FI like holes seem to be completely pointless as the thumb nose itself isn't any higher than last year.

Together with the blade-style roll hoop, which makes no sense either in the current ruleset, it makes me feel like they have these things on the car for the sake of being different, rather than it actually being superior.
not like i'm expecting at all that something like this is to happen, but if they actually turn out to be able to hit the podium on own speed and not luck, then i think you can only conclude what they're doing is actually working.since it's not melbourne, we have no idea what to expect.

also, we have no idea what their philosophy is for this design, their thought process on the aero, etc.
for them, surely, it makes sense. also in regards for the budget to which they're operating.
weight, balance, etc. all has to be taken into account. we just dont know enough.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PhillipM

Well, generally the idea is to force air around the sidepods rather than over the top to reduce lift - that's why we have undercuts, deflectors, etc.
Sauber may have decided that a more extreme version of the ferrari sidepods gave them enough aero benefit combined with much more complex bargeboards since the new regs, etc, that they can sacrifice some CoG lift and try it again - lets not forget it's not the first time they've played with narrowed 'pods, so it's obviously something that they think works with their philosophy rather than something radical as it first appears.

With so many openings, intakes and diverters they must be hoping that new Ferrari engine can offset some decent drag though!

paddyf1

Manoah2u wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 20:11
Holm86 wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 15:35
What is this hatch for on the front of the halo? Seems very big, if its only hiding som mounting screws for a faring
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B031A29
good spot! f-duct/s-duct? :shock: :!: :?: :P
There will ave to be a camera in every halo about that area.

Manoah2u

paddyf1 wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 20:29
Manoah2u wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 20:11
Holm86 wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 15:35
What is this hatch for on the front of the halo? Seems very big, if its only hiding som mounting screws for a faring
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B031A29
good spot! f-duct/s-duct? :shock: :!: :?: :P
There will ave to be a camera in every halo about that area.
actually, no.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"