Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 C37

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ScrewCaptain27

Re: Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 C37

Via AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Morteza

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

gibells

What mechanical reason could they use to justify the existence of those vertical wings? It's far too much of a stretch to say they're for brake cooling.

ScrewCaptain27

Via AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Sevach

Sniffit

gibells wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 10:28
What mechanical reason could they use to justify the existence of those vertical wings? It's far too much of a stretch to say they're for brake cooling.
According to autosport.com the outermost 125mm of the shroud counts as part of the brake duct rather then as part of the suspension.

trinidefender

gibells wrote:
They don't need a mechanical reason. As far as aerodynamic and mechanical design goes, 'spirit of the rules' has very little effect. Once a team can generally prove that the design falls within the written regulations then it is allowed.

What generally happens is then the FIA will change the wording of the rules to outlaw a part if they think it doesn't work for the intended function.

PlatinumZealot

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 12:57
And here’s a diagram by Craig Scarborough:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201803 ... e78375.jpg
I think Craig got it a little wrong here. I have no evidence but i don't belive the top radiator has a duct for its self. That would block of the air from the bottom radiator. I think the air from the bottom radiator blows through the top radiator and on its way there it is mixed with a small amount of fresh air from the top inlet. Thus helps reduce pressure loss a little bit.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

gibells wrote:
It is not mechanical its to control the biggest problem of open wheel race car aero. Tyre wake!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

skitnik

found an interesting article on this topic:

https://ch.motorsport.com/f1/news/techn ... r-1020220/

Quote: "Regeltechnisch stoßen diese Winglets in einen Graubereich vor, denn die äußeren 125 Millimeter des Querlenkers sind per Definition nicht Bestandteil der Radaufhängung, sondern der Bremsbelüftung."

Ruff translation: according to the rules, these winglets are in a kind of grey area, because the outer 125 milimeters of the wishbone are not defined as part of the suspension, but are part of the brake air intake.

so, as much somebody would say these winglets are there to attack the front tire wake, they would just claim, that they are nessecary for their brake coolage, since nobody has their wind tunnel data, nobody can prove they are not. it's most likely that they simply change this particular rule, if the fia feels like they are not appropriate.

skitnik

SmOgER wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 10:00
skitnik wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 01:37
Gerhardsa wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 15:05

Not really. They where supposed to have the recent engine last year too, beore monisha decided, now that they have money for aero updates, they could have the last years engine, so the car gets as bad as possible.
That's definitely ain't gonna happen with Alfa's name on this car. This alone puts it above Haas in priority list.
true. i was just sarcastic, the past 3 years frustrated me. too much poor decisions. :)

Vanja #66

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 18:04
I think Craig got it a little wrong here. I have no evidence but i don't belive the top radiator has a duct for its self. That would block of the air from the bottom radiator. I think the air from the bottom radiator blows through the top radiator and on its way there it is mixed with a small amount of fresh air from the top inlet. Thus helps reduce pressure loss a little bit.
If they have turning vanes behind radiators directing air straight back and a bit down, than this set up is no problem at all, since you usually have bodywork right above those turning vanes now. :) That was a very nice invention from Ferrari a few years back.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

scarbs

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 18:04
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 12:57
And here’s a diagram by Craig Scarborough:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201803 ... e78375.jpg
The upper radiator is only as wide as the top inlet. Thus the blockage of the radiator below is not an issue. I've actually seen the set up and it looks like there's no duct joining the two rads, just the one from the upper inlet as I've drawn. Sauber have shown over the past few seasons that they can feed a cooler with a duct approaching it at 90 degrees. Many of the gearbox-mounted rollhoop-fed coolers were ducted this way. So the precedent to achieve this has already been set.

Just a sidenote the regs set out a 120mm width for the brake duct bodywork, not 125mm. It's been in the rules for years.

11.4 Air ducts : Air ducts around the front and rear brakes will be considered part of the braking system and shall not protrude beyond a vertical plane parallel to the inner face of the wheel rim and displaced from it by 120mm toward the car centre plane.

That accounts for legality of the outer wishbone vane and the inner one simply meets the symmetry rule, that's applied to the rest of the suspension member.

They are almost certainly for front tyre wake management and nothing to do with the brake cooling.