Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 C37

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
michl420

Re: Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 C37

This year, no one can say all cars look the same! Another intersting solutions.

F1Krof

Looks pretty draggy. How are they efficiently going to channel airflow to those sidepods I don't know. Looks very complicated. But who knows.
Wroom wroom

Postmoe

Tattoo- wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 16:18
trinidefender wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 16:12
Wouldn't be surprised if the rear brake ducts were simply not ready for the launch so nothing was fitted
Also front brake ducts are missing! :?
Brake ducts? Where we're going we don't need... brake ducts

Sevach

Still looks like a Sauber though one that had a lot of work put on to it.

The team didn't follow the trend on Ferrari sidepods, they took a small inspiration but went to a different path.
The result is narrower pods which i'm unconvinced it's better than pushed back pods the other teams are doing.

Interesting nose, extreme front suspension and Ferrari like diffuser.

SiLo

Interesting mirror housings too. They are extended on the inside but the vertical section is missing so the driver can see.
Felipe Baby!

Mamba

Sevach wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 18:26
The team didn't follow the trend on Ferrari sidepods, they took a small inspiration but went to a different path.
The result is narrower pods which i'm unconvinced it's better than pushed back pods the other teams are doing.
Is it not a bit soon to write off their approach just so? I know it is a Sauber and will most likely not challenge for the championship (one can dream ey...), but the approach is new and could well have its merits. Who would have thought Ferrari's sidepods of last year were gonna be so widely copied. I mean my reaction last year was WTF have Ferrari done to their car?

Let's wait and see...

MAMBA

Vanja #66

How great to see a radically different car! Thank you Mr Zander! Someone in his team really, really likes to play with inlets. :D

I like this side pod approach because it's very different and will give them a lot of room for improvement. This car is not much further from final spec C36, us usual, in some areas (FW, BB, turning vanes etc), but I have no doubt it will be different in in all of them come Melbourne. Diffuser is Ferrari style, but they are using the second version (with the high central section), the one Ferrari tried a couple of times, but didn't race at all if I remember correctly.

Really looking forward to see how this car gets developed in Season 2018.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PlatinumZealot

Who needs customer parts right. =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

roon

This is the coolest looking Sauber since the F1.08. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Sauber_F1.08)

The sidepod treatment really shows of the benefit of topside rad inlets. They can rake the whole front face back.

Morteza wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 13:50
NathanOlder wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 14:36
=D> =D> well done Sauber, another good looking car to add to the 2018 list. Someone will surely produce an ugly duckling , but whom :?:
The one with a pink livery.

PlatinumZealot

A double benefit of a bigger smoother undercut, an enlarged side pod wing, and more clearance around it. Very good design.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

roon

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 19:05
Who needs customer parts right. =D>
I know, right? Well done. This is why I admire Red Bull fighting for top positions within a manufacturer's formula.

Owen.C93

Steven wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 14:43
As for the S-duct, yes there is one.
In fact, Sauber has two subsequent S-duct exits. One just ahead of the Pirelli logo, and one just downstream of it.

Look's like there's an indent ahead of the first exit to create a higher angle, First team I've seen try that and it should make it marginally more effective.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Zynerji

First: This car is sexxy AF.

Second: If these cars all race as good as they look (even the halo isn't that awful now, and actually adds a bit to the aggressive look from the side due to its profile angle of attack), we are going to have the tightest midfield of all-time. We may have 2-3 breakaway cars, but after that, its may be thousanths between them.

I said the Williams is the Dark Horse bet for me this year, but this car looks very good. I'll stick with Williams due to a bit more convergence, but I cant wait to see these cars on track!

PS: This may be the cleanest rear suspension integration that I have ever seen!
PSS: Is the wing under the mirror actually re-laminating the air to the side-pod top?

Manoah2u

wow, i'm seriously impressed.
I had not expected such detailed car from Sauber.

the amount of intakes is incredible! halo has an aero fairing, great to see a production one with that ready. seems like this is track-ready reveal. front wing is totally revised - logic, really if you see the sidepods et al. Nevertheless, they actually show the front wing that belongs, not just some launch 'non-correct' one to keep it under wraps. the double s-duct is interesting too, the rear end also, and indeed mirrors and suspension. force india nose interesting too.

i like this car a lot, most impressive one yet, more than redbull even - not that that means it should be better (though one must say, we have no clue whether it might), but the total revision and detail is astonishing. As mentioned, the back loogs gorgeous!

car itself looks intimidating.
it would look absolutely phenomenal if it had a martini livery with the shade of red - how amazing would that be.

Imagine Alfa Romeo Sauber 'stealing' Martini from Williams. Would be very nice source of income, and they hopefully could/will finally ditch ericsson in favor of a capable driver. A red Martini Alfa Romeo Sauber - Ferrari with Kubica and LeClerc for 2019? [-o<

anyway, really impressed!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"