Renault Sport F1 R.S. 18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Renault Sport F1 R.S. 18

cplchanb wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 00:48
what about the off throttle events? wouldnt there be a fluctuation of exhaust gases? Unless they found another clever engine mapping that could negate that...
That was one of the main topics in the EBD years (and in the 90's too I guess) and and one of the main challenges... but they became masters in that.
Todays regulations (which are tighter, al I right?) and the limited fuel will make this even more challenging.

Blackout

Morteza wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 11:57
Via AMuS
Is that a bow-shaped wing, just under the airbox intake ?
Last edited by Blackout on 01 Mar 2018, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

Morteza

Blackout wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:25
Is that a "(" wing, just under the airbox intake ?
Yeah, now that you mention it I see it too.

This is the best shot I could find
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

garyjpaterson

NutritionFact wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:08
Hy guys, it's OT but short.

What is 1 point of DF?
1 out of 100, so variable on every car?

Or is 1 point a clear definition?

I found nothing in search.
I seem to remember someone (Paddy Lowe possibly) saying for them it mean 0.01Cl.

cramr
cramr

garyjpaterson wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:57
NutritionFact wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:08
Hy guys, it's OT but short.

What is 1 point of DF?
1 out of 100, so variable on every car?

Or is 1 point a clear definition?

I found nothing in search.
I seem to remember someone (Paddy Lowe possibly) saying for them it mean 0.01Cl.
And I think this cars with this new regulations are around 4.5 - 5 Cl it's less than 0.25% so I don't think it's much. Maybe under 0.01 sec?

Morteza

New spoiler below the roll hoop and on the helmet, to direct flow into the airbox below the upper inlets.

Via @ScarbsTech
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Blackout

Interesting.
I didnt notice that there is a big opening for that rad, just under the aibox intake :P The black paint doent help.

Enstone
Enstone

Still no aero appendice on the halo ?
Maybe next week... hope they won't bring in only in Melbourne :?

Blackout

Yeah they must start putting things on the halo as soon as possible, it should be their priority number 1, otherwise they'll be slower than Footwork and end up last. Melbourne would be too late man... What are they doing behind the driver's helmet and on the bodywork? seems useless IMHO :?

Enstone
Enstone

Seems like your a bit nuts... aren't you ?!! :D

Of course they should focus on that particular point, cuz test sessions are doing for that... or not, maybe they are made just for fun... :?

Anyway... hydraulics cushions on the RS18 : https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... o-1009940/

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Enstone wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 00:11
Still no aero appendice on the halo ?
Maybe next week... hope they won't bring in only in Melbourne :?
Looking at the shape of the halo, especially at the sides, they have built a fairing that covers the whole item. Mercedes appears to have done the same thing. This should be a better system if it works properly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Nobody is putting their final iterations of halo on until Melbourne, just as much as they need to get the bulk of the air where they want it, it's too easy to copy and an area of new development, even the Mclaren one with the 3 airfoil fingers isn't as complex as they were working on before xmas.

Blackout

Enstone wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 19:51
Seems like your a bit nuts... aren't you ?!! :D

Of course they should focus on that particular point, cuz test sessions are doing for that... or not, maybe they are made just for fun... :?

Anyway... hydraulics cushions on the RS18 : https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... o-1009940/

https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/amp ... 688464.jpg
Seems like you're a bit d***.
Of course they should focus on that particular point
Nope not necessarily, not now. Maybe they should focus on other areas which are more important and challenging. That's what they're doing. And Renault's halo treatement isnt completely standard. And like Lowe said the halo isnt challenging aerowise.

zack!
zack!

Mark4211 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 18:36
RS18 Exhaust-Blown Rear Wing

Source: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 69265.html
Renault has found a whole new trick to generate more downforce. The engineers assemble the exhaust as high as the regulations allow (550 mm above the reference plane). For this purpose, the tailpipe is bent upwards as much as is allowed (5 degrees).

The exhaust gases aim so from below on the main blade of the rear wing. It is specially coated on the underside so that the carbon structure in the heat jet does not start to melt.

The new trick is to bring up to two points downforce while accelerating. And the idea is not easy to copy.

(via Google Translate)
https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/R ... 149523.jpg
Hi guys, a question for experts, from an idiot in aero.
Seems to me there are 2 possible effects of this blown rear wing :
1) dynamise, accelerate under flow, so create (continuously) an increased depression (DF generator).
2) disturb the underflow, detach it from the wing surface, and so segegate the over and under part of the flow (Drage Reduction System, remenber the f-duct)

Are these 2 options realistic /doable ?

Could be used alternately, for example 1) during curves, and 2) in straight lines ?

Could it be possible, that 2) uses a special engine mode (for example full ICE power mode ,wastegates full or widely opened) ?

If true, a) having ultra hot exhausts, and b) close wastegates (and sonic tubes) -bring closer, bring near, assimalted convergent flows-, c) just under the main tube to "leverage", "push" the main exhaust flow would help to concentrate the effect in the middle of the rear wing.

are all these (a,b,c) arguments right ?

And finally, a last question. Is it possible (compliant to regulation), to make d) holes inside tubes, to make a junction between wastegate tubes, an main tube. The idea here, is to create a kind of improved ejection angle (>5 degree), if the wastgate flow can exit upward through the main tube, creating a kind of "ray" able to target directly the middle of the wing ? ie achieve a ray for example from early in the wastegate through midlle of main tube d), to middle of wing (achieving 15 or 20 degree angle, so far better than the regulated 5 degree) ?

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks...
Last edited by zack! on 03 Mar 2018, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.

PlatinumZealot

Morteza wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 17:31
Taint' just a normal diffuser!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏