Renault Sport F1 R.S. 18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

Re: Renault R.S.18 Speculation Thread

It seems like a very neat and tidy evolution with a nice livery, so visually I think it’s successful.

There’s nothing particularly new or revolutionary about it, but I do think it’s quite neatly packaged at the rear.

I’m pleased they’ve gone this way though and eschewed the Ferrari sidepods - gives us a good benchmark in order to better understand if it’s the be all/end all.

ENGINE TUNER

Re: Renault RS18

Seems like the Renault powered cars are only using the air box for engine air intake purposes while the Merc and Ferrari teams use the air box for additional cooling/intercooling.

GoranF1

Moose wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 17:45
The only team so far to not use Ferrari style aero structures to push the side pod intakes back. Could that be a misstep?
Mclaren might follow as it is rumored Renault and Mclaren have gone for more safe cooling cofiguration while RB has gone for risky version.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

roon

Re: Renault Sport F1 R.S. 18

Blackout wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 18:02
I like those very long mirro supports though :mrgreen: #ArrwosA2
Good observation. The bases are positioned farther back, nearer to the base of the halo/side headrest. Also, there's a small flap on their topside.

Thunder

Ok, i hope i got all posts merged into this one Topic. [-o<
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Blackout

GoranF1 wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 18:43
Moose wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 17:45
The only team so far to not use Ferrari style aero structures to push the side pod intakes back. Could that be a misstep?
Mclaren might follow as it is rumored Renault and Mclaren have gone for more safe cooling cofiguration while RB has gone for risky version.
RS-17 and RB13 used the rollhoop air for ERS and gearbox cooling... IMO the new ones will do the same.

Vladimir

Conservative design :? I hope it will be aero efficient one.
Nice livery. Very tight body, different suspension from r.s.17.
Seems that the new carbon gearbox is much smaller.

f1316

That’s a really good visual illustration of the improved packaging at the rear.

As has been said, it may be that Renault as the engine manufacturer have been more conservative in terms of approach - Bob Bell talks about reliability as chief objective (https://www.motorsport.com/all/photo/ma ... 07027&s=-6) - and that may be based around the limitations of their engine. Perhaps RB prefer to ensure they’re creating optimal chassis to continue to improve understanding from an aero side, with a conscious sacrifice of reliability, given that they know they’re likely to be using a different engine next year anyway? A bit like how McLaren wouldn’t sacrifice their downforce levels in the Honda.

That said, I do think there’s more to come in the bargeboard area, so they’re probably trying to keep solutions there under wraps until testing.

Manoah2u

i reaaaaaallly like this livery!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Peter1919

Easily the most similar to last year's car out of those launched so far. Will be interesting to see how the Renault compares to other teams which have undergone more changes in the off season.

nokivasara

Peter1919 wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 21:07
Easily the most similar to last year's car out of those launched so far. Will be interesting to see how the Renault compares to other teams which have undergone more changes in the off season.
I wonder how much it will change come melbourne?

Vladimir

I think that we will see something different already at first day test.
Seems that Renault showed us livery and bit of new design, but on R.S.17.
Or not :?

GhostF1

Surely not the final launch iteration.. especially that front wing. It looks extremely basic considering. The barge board area looks to of had minimal development. The tightened and smoothed bodywork is what stars here. I honestly was expecting Renault to show up this year with some obvious innovations. Mmm clearly we will have to wait and see on track performance.

adrianjordan

As others have said, I think there's more to come here. I just can't see this being the final aero package for melbourne.

I think they're starting simple, gaining understanding and developing from there...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️