Toro Rosso STR13 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: Toro Rosso STR13 Honda

Post your Performance Predictions in the Team Thread please: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26882
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

johnny comelately

Zynerji wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 18:39
It looks like STR could copy the blown rear wing pretty quickly if they so desired... I think just relocating the waste-gate exhaust pipes directly under the main exhaust, it should be right there.

I did notice that they also have a naked lower element to their rear wing already as well...
Do the rules prohibit cutting the end of the tailpipe at an angle?

cramr

johnny comelately wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 09:16
Zynerji wrote:
It looks like STR could copy the blown rear wing pretty quickly if they so desired... I think just relocating the waste-gate exhaust pipes directly under the main exhaust, it should be right there.

I did notice that they also have a naked lower element to their rear wing already as well...
last section has to be circular and max 5°up. Besides that the exit need to be within a certain window behind rear wheel and Y/Z position.

Don't expect many teams using blown RW, this was investigated since day 0 of these new engines, especially coming from a blown "diffuser era" and the benefits were proven to be small if any

johnny comelately

cramr wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 10:15
johnny comelately wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

last section has to be circular and max 5°up. Besides that the exit need to be within a certain window behind rear wheel and Y/Z position.

Don't expect many teams using blown RW, this was investigated since day 0 of these new engines, especially coming from a blown "diffuser era" and the benefits were proven to be small if any
OK, thanks for that.
It would still be circular viewed from behind :wink:

henry

cramr wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 10:15
johnny comelately wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

The exact wording is
The entire circumference of each exit should lie on a single plane normal to the tailpipe axis and be located at the rearmost extremity of the last 150mm of the tailpipe.
Not hard to find. It’s in the section labelled “Exhaust Systems”. I wish people would read the regs and not resort to people like you and me to do it for them.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Sevach

STR12 Abu Dhabi vs STR13 test spec

Morteza

Via @F1debrief
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

techman

looks like there is a wing above the front wishbone suspension. to aid stability during turning.

Sevach

techman

honestly i am not a fan of adding downforce on this halo.. redbull isnt doing it. and it add more drag. that what str dont want. best to go down redbull way. mercedes not running them either.

Godius

via AMuS

Moose

techman wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 09:50
honestly i am not a fan of adding downforce on this halo.. redbull isnt doing it. and it add more drag. that what str dont want. best to go down redbull way. mercedes not running them either.
They're not adding downforce with it - the wings are following the curve of the halo, not consistently flicking air upwards. They're trying to fill in the space behind the halo with fast moving air, reducing its drag, not trying to generate downforce.

PhillipM

techman wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 09:50
They're not adding downforce, they're keeping the flow attached by turning around the bar, even a casual glance at which why the foils go should show that. #-o