Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Beautiful shots. Thank you!
Saishū kōnā

MtthsMlw

They gave Vettel the new one after 30mins or so. He only did a couple of laps with it. Interesting that they decided the change for him so quick.

godlameroso

Probably because they wanted to give him a chance to compare the two, seeing as he's raced with the previous iteration, he'd get a good reference within 30 min.
Saishū kōnā

Vanja #66

Yup, as expected, floor changes in front of leading edge. Not too many elements, not too little.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f300v10

Very impressed so far this year with both the quantity and quality of the updates Ferrari are bringing to the SF71H race after race. So far this year we have (not counting different 'track based' rear wings or cooling changes):

Bahrain: Diffusor update 1
China: Bargeboard update 1 (small change)
Baku: Front wing endplate
Spain: halo mirrors, floor with full length slots, rear suspension geometry and diffusor update 2
Canada: Bargeboard update 2 (big change), floor keel, PU upgrade

New parts that have stayed on the car in 5 of 7 races. Night and day different from just a few years ago where the 'improvements' were as often as not a step backwards. Well done to the design team.

LuisFeF1

The new floor of SF71H with 3 new L-shaped fins.

Image[

godlameroso

Looks like it's really important to send airflow under the leading edge of the car. That foot plate behind the bargeboards look to send helical vortecies under the floor. The angle of the foot plate looks like it's aiming a vortex towards the flick up on the lateral side of the floor under the side pod deflector.

Pardon the crude drawing, but here's what I'm seeing as the relevant flow structures in this area.
Saishū kōnā

henra

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 15:39
The angle of the foot plate looks like it's aiming a vortex towards the flick up on the lateral side of the floor under the side pod deflector.
Yup. Looks that way. Could be intended to accelerate/strengthen and also to move slightly downward the vortex going along the side of the floor that is supposed to seal the underside of the floor.

Just_a_fan

You're missing the important vortex created by the barge board and then directed down the side of the car. Without that, and it's effect on other structures, you're only half way there.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 01:45
You're missing the important vortex created by the barge board and then directed down the side of the car. Without that, and it's effect on other structures, you're only half way there.
Correction I'm only 20% there, I'm simplifying things hence the crude drawing, thanks for noticing though. Do you really want to see me do the full car in craptastic paint? :D
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 02:51
Do you really want to see me do the full car in craptastic paint? :D
Yes! :twisted: :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

timbo

I believe these vortex structures are being used as "skirts" to seal the floor.