Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 11:10
Both cars are using the normal wastegates layout in FP1.
Yes and Kimi uses a wider (the older) engine cover, but Vettel the new one.

I wonder why they don’t test the wastegate layout again, though.

DVB

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 11:10
Both cars are using the normal wastegates layout in FP1.
Curious if they will run FP1 normal and FP2 with special layout, to decide what to use at FP3 / QF. They are busy for sure!
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

MtthsMlw

AMuS

Vanja #66

MtthsMlw wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 12:01
Just had an idea about this development from a post in Merc thread. With extremely high camber airfoils, it's possible to experience stall on top surface (top surface on F1 car), which could result mess the flow enough to stall the bottom surface as well as the flap. Incredibly, this happens when AoA is smaller than optimal (and air can't follow the convex curve).

So, what if the goal is to reduce drag at higher speeds by stalling the rear wing when the rear end dips down, by reducing AoA of rear wing? Outboard parts of the wing would still have attached flow producing downforce to keep the car down.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GoranF1

My freah impresions from the track:

Ferrari has a very very very differet sound to all others including custemers Ferrari's.
The sound change takes place when Kimi and Vettel exit last corner and push throttle pedal to the end.
The rise in decibels is amazing, it feeels like they were driving V8 engines, everybody on the grand stands were amazed by it....it feels so much more power than others.
I think due to power advantage they will have speed edge tomorrow in the dry.

In terms of drivers Kimi has so much more confidence in the wet than Vettel...throws the car around like rally...Vettel in the wet takes normal corner lines no risk and is visibly slower.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

roon

GoranF1 wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 17:31

Ferrari has a very very very differet sound to all others including custemers Ferrari's.
The sound change takes place when Kimi and Vettel exit last corner and push throttle pedal to the end.
The rise in decibels is amazing, it feeels like they were driving V8 engines, everybody on the grand stands were amazed by it....it feels so much more power than others.

In terms of drivers Kimi has so much more confidence in the wet than Vettel...throws the car around like rally...Vettel in the wet takes normal corner lines no risk and is visibly slower.
Thanks for that. Any video, by chance? Seems to confirm wastegate(s)-open acceleration mode.

MtthsMlw

roon wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 17:39
GoranF1 wrote:

Thanks for that. Any video, by chance? Seems to confirm wastegate(s)-open acceleration mode.
https://mobile.twitter.com/mr_john_hous ... 6144096260

https://youtu.be/UW91_eqQRR0 1:03

It's been like that since pre-season testing but no one could explain it.

LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 17:59
roon wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 17:39
GoranF1 wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mr_john_hous ... 6144096260

https://youtu.be/UW91_eqQRR0 1:03

It's been like that since pre-season testing but no one could explain it.
Isn't this the sound of the wastegate opening? Sounds similar here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHsM63dH-yE&t=58s

MtthsMlw

LM10 wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 18:17

Isn't this the sound of the wastegate opening? Sounds similar here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHsM63dH-yE&t=58s
Yes it is but after people noticed it no one really investigated what that could mean.

LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 18:18
LM10 wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 18:17

Yes it is but after people noticed it no one really investigated what that could mean.
Oh, apologies. I missed the post of roon before.

It is noticeable that it's only on the Ferraris, indeed. And it's not only in practice sessions when you could argue with low boost pressures.
I think we will never get the full answer on that.

GoranF1

It could be wastegate but other cars sound nothing like the Ferrari.

MtthsMlw

GoranF1 wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 23:40
It could be wastegate but other cars sound nothing like the Ferrari.
Are we talking only about the Ferrari or Haas and Sauber as well? Is it the same sound you heard today that you can hear in the videos I posted earlier?

GoranF1

Not on custemer Ferrari engines, sounds 3 times lounder than on those videos.

Juzh

GoranF1 wrote:
You gotta have some magic powers to spot 0.02s difference over a whole lap in just one corner.