Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Italian article regarding the mysterious new pedal on Vettel's steering wheel.
No new informations but nice illustrations.

stevesingo
stevesingo

Could it be a method of proportionally controlling MGU-K assist/harvest. Fully released the MGU-K is fully under pre-determined map control. Pulling the lever under acceleration will reduce the assist to 0 at the 50% point and then switch to harvest once past 50% to full harvest at 100%.

Could be useful in controlling wheel spin.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

stevesingo wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 17:43

Would that not be illegal?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marmer
marmer

think its safe to say whatever this is for is driver preference as Kimi is not massively slower than Seb.

brake balance adjuster seem most likely. does anyone have on board footage of kimi and seb on Qual laps at the same track would be good to see if kimi is using a traditional dial and seb is doing nothing as it can't be seen?

nico5

Don't know if anyone ever pointed this out already, but there was a lot of speculations about Ferrari updating their floor in Bahrain or China. Beside the diffuser, on which it was widely debated in the Bahrain weekend, and some possible structural changes, the only visible difference, as far as I can see, is this one in the bargeboard area.
This might have been done to create one extra vortex in the blue edge and to allow the outer longitudinal cut to work with higher pressure air. What do you guys think?

aral
aral

Speculative comments have been removed as this thread is to do with actual elements of the car, and not wild speculation as to what the rotary control change on Vettels car might be for.

stevesingo
stevesingo

nico5 wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 12:50
Don't know if anyone ever pointed this out already, but there was a lot of speculations about Ferrari updating their floor in Bahrain or China. Beside the diffuser, on which it was widely debated in the Bahrain weekend, and some possible structural changes, the only visible difference, as far as I can see, is this one in the bargeboard area.
This might have been done to create one extra vortex in the blue edge and to allow the outer longitudinal cut to work with higher pressure air. What do you guys think?

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/5432/3FhH5I.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/3996/CF4u3g.jpg
I would like to answer, but that would be speculating.

f1316
f1316

stevesingo wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 18:18
nico5 wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 12:50

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/5432/3FhH5I.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/3996/CF4u3g.jpg
I would like to answer, but that would be speculating.
Yeah, I better be careful what I say (god forbid a conversation breaks out) but the talk was that there was a stiffened floor in China. I don’t think this would necessarily be visible - it might just be a change of construction - so don’t know if there’s really any evidence we can point to on this.

Powy
Powy

More on the steering wheels by VET and RAI, but no explanation yet on the mini paddle:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/tech ... to-ev.html

Vanja #66

Bahrain v3 is launch-spec :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

turbof1

About the removed posts regarding the paddle on the steering wheel:

Strictly speaking, any theory on that paddle is going to be speculation. Naturally, because almost nobody with the exception of Ferrari themselves knows what its function is. So in the very strict sense it is against topic policy.

However, it is not unreasonable to have a discussion about it, provided the theories pushed forward make sense, are well argumentated and are made sure they don't extent the "speculation" (in this case let's call it hypotheses) beyond what the paddle does, activates and the usage. It has to be strictly about the SF71H hardware.

We'll be watching this closely how this evolves. It's not F1T's intent to block off meaningful discussion, which it really can be in this case.

Have a good day all!
#AeroFrodo

iulian_florea
iulian_florea

I think you are overdoing it. But it's only my opinion.
Of course, I do not know all the posts that were removed, but in my case it was perhaps a bit zealous since other members embraced the idea. I rarely have good ideas, so it is frustrating to have them censored. :D

NathanOlder

Ferrari car being looked at by the FIA.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2381 ... 18-ferrari
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 20:49
stevesingo wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 17:43

Would that not be illegal?
I wouldn't think so as it is directly under the drivers control.

Zynerji

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 13:30
Ferrari car being looked at by the FIA.

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2381 ... 18-ferrari
more horse ---. Its an open formula with strict rules, and many enforced rules that were never rules in the first place...

Blowing engine maps are unacceptable? Too f#ck1ng bad.