Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
M840TR

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Post by M840TR » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Big Tea wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:09 pm
Blaze1 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:37 pm
Isn't that exactly what all the differentials up and down the grid have been doing for a very long time now?
I believe so, is that not 'steering' (assist) with the rear wheels?
Well it wouldn't steer the wheels though, so no.

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 am

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:17 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 pm
Erm... that's just an article from a Journo. Are you new here? haha.
But seriously though, there are easier ways to cool the rim.
Prove it's for heating the tyres if you're so sure..
:roll:
Blistering and Graining has been Mercedes and most other teams real problem this year. Two opposing effects. One from to hot a tyre surface the other from cold abrading of the surface. The teams generally want to have the bulk temperature of the tyre in the working zone instead of too hot or too cold the surface of the tyre. The use tyre blankets, the adjust the suspension geomtery, they use different tyre pressures.. to gain and maintain temperature mostly.. but do it too aggressively and you end up blistering... get it wrong and you get graining.

In my estimations increasing the contribution of the brakes to heat the tyres and do it in a controlled way, allows you a fairly low risk heat source and gives you the opportunity to dial back the aggressive suspension settings on the car. Now you have less blistering and graining risk.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

PlatinumZealot

Post by PlatinumZealot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:50 am

Big Tea wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:41 pm
So anyone know for sure 'split torque' is not legal?
Driving the outside wheel more than the inside wheel could be a considerable advantage on tight corners, not sure about in general though
That is exactly the function of the adjustable diffrentials for decades now. :wink:
The drivers adjust the locking percent to "loosen" or "tighten" the differential. Driving the outer wheel more or both wheels evenly. Driving outer wheel more give more rotation in the corner, driving both wheels evenly gives more positive drive out of the corner. I haven't even mentioned the effects on corner entry... This is from an armchair point of view by the way. I have never driven a car with adjustable differential before.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

SiLo

Post by SiLo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:05 am

What a picture. Looking from the top down makes the bargeboard area look so much more complex than I thought it was.
Felipe Baby!

Big Tea

Post by Big Tea » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:07 pm

PZ
That is exactly the function of the adjustable diffrentials for decades now. :wink:
The drivers adjust the locking percent to "loosen" or "tighten" the differential. Driving the outer wheel more or both wheels evenly. Driving outer wheel more give more rotation in the corner, driving both wheels evenly gives more positive drive out of the corner. I haven't even mentioned the effects on corner entry... This is from an armchair point of view by the way. I have never driven a car with adjustable differential before.

What I am saying is that the article in just-a-fan;s post (P80) about Merc using the gearbox for 'steering' is probably correct, but nothing new.

Opps, messed up the quote, sorry
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

djones

Post by djones » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Has there been any information on the PU Hamilton used last race?

Leaking oil all weekend and multiple hesitations in power delivery.

subcritical71

Post by subcritical71 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:41 pm

djones wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:31 pm

I read after the race Toto said the engine was fine. I think the leaking oil was from the relocation of the crankcase breather pipe, wasn't it?

zibby43

Post by zibby43 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:28 pm

djones wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:31 pm

In the post-race debrief, Shovlin said all is well and that “hesitations” have to do with engine mapping.

Sierra117

Post by Sierra117 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:28 am

From FP3 hopefully the airflow from the front wing is a bit visible

dans79

Post by dans79 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:10 pm

Anyone have any theories as to how Merc took such a massive step forward?

mantikos

Post by mantikos » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Sierra117 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:28 am
From FP3 hopefully the airflow from the front wing is a bit visible

https://i.imgur.com/rQxpI7j.png
Do you have a video instead?

subcritical71

Post by subcritical71 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 pm

dans79 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:10 pm
Better tyre management and therefore more options on strategy(?) Ever since the heater/cooler fins on the wheel rim showed up they haven't had the dramatic falloff of performance during the race.

LM10

Post by LM10 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:11 pm

subcritical71 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 pm
dans79 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:10 pm
Better tyre management and therefore more options on strategy(?) Ever since the heater/cooler fins on the wheel rim showed up they haven't had the dramatic falloff of performance during the race.
Better tyre management did not give them the edge on one lap pace (despite their tyre management got better as well). Mercedes is the fastest car on slow corner parts at the moment and at the same time I don’t remember them having any problems at starts such as spinning wheels in recent races. So something gave them much better traction and that’s the big improve they made.
Better traction and better tyre management are two things influencing each other in a positive way anyway.

bosyber

Post by bosyber » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:17 pm

The improved traction out of slow corners is what they keep saying is something they learned after the Spa race debrief on where they were losing that and how to improve. Not sure whether set up or suspension tweak, but from that I'd guess something in setup?

SiLo

Post by SiLo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 am

It was a suspension change in Spa, and then what they learned from the Spa race helped them solve their issues. I think Toto is quoted as saying that.

It also ties in with Ferrari having tyre issues and having to turn down their engines to make them last the season, whilst Merc are able to continue to run their engines in higher modes for longer.
Felipe Baby!