Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sierra117

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

pimpwerx wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 00:07
ringo wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 00:14
Why i disagree with scarbs is blowing hot air through the wheels cannot keep heat away from them. You are actually putting heat into them. What he is saying would make sense if the wheels were already hot, and fresh cool air is being blown in to drive away that heat.
Cooling of the wheel is better done by having a brake duct that simply diverts air into the rim annuls.
I think the cooling theory makes the most sense, just based on how Merc behave on the grid. They consistently remove the rear tire warmers before the fronts. If they wanted to heat the tires with these wheels, they would keep the warmers on the rears longest. This is not the case, so they're somewhat undercutting the purpose of these wheels, if they're really for heating the tires.
Pretty much yeah, further supported by the fact that Lewis had cold tyres when controlling the pace in Singapore, which is a notoriously difficult track on tyres. It's possible it's not a specifically "cooling" thing going on, but rather proper heat circulation which eventually translates into "cooling", relatively speaking.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Sevach

PhillipM

Don't forget convective transfer from the hub itself through the wheel is a decent source of heat input - drillings there may reduce heat transfer that way. Not everything is aero.

ringo

Sierra117 wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 01:49
pimpwerx wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 00:07
ringo wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 00:14
Why i disagree with scarbs is blowing hot air through the wheels cannot keep heat away from them. You are actually putting heat into them. What he is saying would make sense if the wheels were already hot, and fresh cool air is being blown in to drive away that heat.
Cooling of the wheel is better done by having a brake duct that simply diverts air into the rim annuls.
I think the cooling theory makes the most sense, just based on how Merc behave on the grid. They consistently remove the rear tire warmers before the fronts. If they wanted to heat the tires with these wheels, they would keep the warmers on the rears longest. This is not the case, so they're somewhat undercutting the purpose of these wheels, if they're really for heating the tires.
Pretty much yeah, further supported by the fact that Lewis had cold tyres when controlling the pace in Singapore, which is a notoriously difficult track on tyres. It's possible it's not a specifically "cooling" thing going on, but rather proper heat circulation which eventually translates into "cooling", relatively speaking.
It just looks like there are simpler more elegant solutions than this. A duct would do the trick just fine. The duct would simply direct air directly on the rim. This proposal now is saying air will be warmed and forced through tiny holes, barely come in contact with the spokes and go back out the wheel.. Just doesn't seem right.
If any thing there is a more specific purpose for this design. It may in fact be a cooling out for something else.
But i guess we can wait to hear official commentary on this.
For Sure!!

Big Tea

Maybe the problem is not heat (or cool) but consistency of temperature or temperature difference.
The could holes be to control the spread rather than the actual temperature?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Yes. Could be to keep the hot air central and off the barrel of the wheel. But only just*.. There are restrictor holes in the plate.. Meaning they want to keep some heat in there. But at the same time the inner barrel of the wheel is kept cooler.

I hope someone askes mercedes this weekend. Or use the thermal camera on it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

wtf Mercedes didn't use their rims even after the stewards said they where good to go?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13974 ... n-mercedes
Mercedes still refrained from using the design in Mexico, and Whiting hopes a technical directive will provide further clarity on what is acceptable.
197 104 103 7

aral

And in both GPs they were off pace and had tyre problems !

Just_a_fan

They are trying to win the constructors' title in a way that Ferrari can't later challenge.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CriXus

aral wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 21:33
In Mexico, Merc had problem with the front left tire.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

LM10

CriXus wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 21:36
aral wrote:
It was not only them and it was not just the front left tyre.

Not saying that the absence of the rims made them struggle in the last 2 races, but it surely is noticeable that until USA they had nursed the tyres like no other team and then suddenly were no where being as nice to them as before. Of course we can pretend that in Austin they had balance problems and in Mexico there also was no link to the rims like Toto told.. but like I said, it is noticeable at least.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 21:35
They are trying to win the constructors' title in a way that Ferrari can't later challenge.
If it's been deemed legal They should run it.
197 104 103 7

F1Krof

I believe this has to do with something that they are planning in the future, not just for the remaining two races. I believe they must have something in the pipeline, something even better than it is now that they want to use it for the next year as well. That's why they want to be 100% sure so that they can commit to it and start developing for the next year's car.

They don't want to face another 2017's suspension saga when Ferrari asked for clarification long after they've developed their concept.
Wroom wroom

WaikeCU

CriXus wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 21:36
aral wrote:
I think Vettel had graining on the left front as well, but it didn’t affect Ferrari as much as the Mercs.

ringo

It seems that the perforate donut shaped plate could be an insulator. It may preven thermal conduction from the very hot hub to the rim. The holes may be just to keep this particular piece cool. Notice the grooves underneath, to miminize thermal contact with the rim as much as possible. They also can allow cooling air to escape.

Toto says that the tyres weren't turned on at all in the Mexico Race. This is very mysterious. As it would suggest the tyres were too cold. Why can the other cars get them to work?
I am wondering if this is down to the suspension setup, or even tyre pressures.
For Sure!!