Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Via AMuS

Via @AlbertFabrega
Last edited by Morteza on 05 Apr 2018, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Maritimer

Needs more temp stickers

Mandrake

Maritimer wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 17:44
Needs more temp stickers
Cause stickers add horsepower as we all know :D

dans79

what section of the car is this? The shot is so close you lose context.

197 104 103 7

bosyber

That's next to the crash structure on the back, the bits on top of the diffuser.

dans79

bosyber wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 18:17
That's next to the crash structure on the back, the bits on top of the diffuser.
Thank you, that explains the shape a lot more.
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

Whats the purpose of the little winglet on the rear crash structure that deflects air downwards just before the diffuser?
It seems like it´s counterproductive since at the diffuser everything is trying to deflect air upwards.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

PhillipM

Vortex generator, possibly countering the one generated by the rearmost winglet?

henra

Really interesting!
I have to admit, I'm not sure what object could be cooled with the air coming from this exhaust?!
Just an additional opening for venting of the main radiators?
Or rather additional radiators for electronics or Oil or other stuff?

Mr.G

henra wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 22:35
Really interesting!
I have to admit, I'm not sure what object could be cooled with the air coming from this exhaust?!
Just an additional opening for venting of the main radiators?
Or rather additional radiators for electronics or Oil or other stuff?
Hot race setup...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

henra

SectorOne wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 20:48
Whats the purpose of the little winglet on the rear crash structure that deflects air downwards just before the diffuser?
Maybe trying to direct the flow in front of the vertical fin more vertically (by keeping the air trapped until closer to the fin) in order to improve extraction of the air on the rear side?

Sierra117

I'm not a trained engineer so I'm prolly gonna say weird stuff but it is a bit of an anti climax to see the car isn't as fast as was made to believe in the reports. I thought it would blitz past in Bahrain with the long straights and the tighter body of the car without needing to use higher engine modes.

Instead we have Ferrari who got pole and the win, having better mechanical grip and being gentler on tyres while incorporating Merc's long wheelbase design. Hopefully the Barcelona updates are good.

Btw what was that oil coming out from the back of the Ferraris? Is that rerouted to avoid the whole oil burning thing? Shouldn't a car spraying oil into the road making it slippery be illegal?
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Maritimer

Sierra117 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 20:46
I'm not a trained engineer so I'm prolly gonna say weird stuff but it is a bit of an anti climax to see the car isn't as fast as was made to believe in the reports. I thought it would blitz past in Bahrain with the long straights and the tighter body of the car without needing to use higher engine modes.

Instead we have Ferrari who got pole and the win, having better mechanical grip and being gentler on tyres while incorporating Merc's long wheelbase design. Hopefully the Barcelona updates are good.

Btw what was that oil coming out from the back of the Ferraris? Is that rerouted to avoid the whole oil burning thing? Shouldn't a car spraying oil into the road making it slippery be illegal?
The Ferrari engines have been spewing since testing, when they fire up it's like an old two stroke billowing smoke everywhere. Lots of seepage somewhere in the system.

Big Tea

Maritimer wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 22:10
Sierra117 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 20:46

The Ferrari engines have been spewing since testing, when they fire up it's like an old two stroke billowing smoke everywhere. Lots of seepage somewhere in the system.
Makes you wonder how they still meet the oil use regs.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aral

This is not a Ferrari thread, but the smoke is just fumes from the crankcase. Overall oil usage is within the FIA limits, so no problem.

Now, lets get back on topic.......