Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shady

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

If I was a betting man, I would think that 'diffuser strakes' will be added to the cape before the end of the season. I expected them last season, but there may have been no need to introduce. Similar to the way the cooling vents were added to the shark fin last season.

jh199

Does anyone know why Mercedes has a purple light beneath the roll hoop camera? I've seen the green, yellow and red lights but never purple. Does it indicate a sort of pit out mode for the car?

(And please remove this post if it's not technical enough, maybe it belongs in the team thread)

Morteza

Right-click and open in a new tab for full resolution
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon

Morteza wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 00:41
Right-click and open in a new tab for full resolution
https://i.imgur.com/0zcbI5g.jpg
What's compliant for roll in this arrangement? What's the mass/body above and integral to the steering rack?

Edit- According to motorsport.com, the roll bar is a torsion spring installed only on the driver's right side rocker. Apparent when you see that only one is filled with extra componentry and a locking key.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Maritimer

shady wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 22:16
If I was a betting man, I would think that 'diffuser strakes' will be added to the cape before the end of the season. I expected them last season, but there may have been no need to introduce. Similar to the way the cooling vents were added to the shark fin last season.
Would stakes in the cape be legal? I feel like they would see it as a diffuser then

shady

Maritimer wrote:
02 May 2018, 04:54
Would stakes in the cape be legal? I feel like they would see it as a diffuser then
I am not sure.. but theres a cape there, and other teams have vanes... so, Im not sure what in the body work rules would prohibit it. They already have slits on the outer most edges on the trailing edge of the cape.. just a hunch.

wesley123

Maritimer wrote:
Why would they? Outside of that, they can think it is a diffuser, but doesn't change any fact that attached surfaces all fit according for the rulebook. That wouldn't make sense because then you are challenging the whole rule book based on the definition of words.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan

The rules define where you can put bodywork. They don't define what that bodywork does or is called. If the cape and any strakes fit within the allowed box for bodywork then it's legal.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Maritimer

shady wrote:
02 May 2018, 19:31
Maritimer wrote:
I am not sure.. but theres a cape there, and other teams have vanes... so, Im not sure what in the body work rules would prohibit it. They already have slits on the outer most edges on the trailing edge of the cape.. just a hunch.
I don't know either, I was under the impression having a blatant diffuser behind your front wing sitting in the Y250 neutral zone would be frowned upon. The way it sits right now you can argue it merely functions like the separate vanes each other team use aside from Williams, guiding air rather than generating its own discrete downforce.

bill shoe

ImageWhy does the pitot-tube fin have 3 different pitot tubes?
Guesses-
1. different readings from different tubes provide estimate of turbulence.
2. if one pitot gets clogged with a spec of dirt, the other two pitots that still agree can be identified as correct and so good data continues.

MtthsMlw

I don't see anything new yet.

Source

f1316

I don’t know: looks like a pretty extreme low-drag nose/front wing solution :wink: :lol:

F1Krof

Don't expect too much really. Knowing from previous seasons, they don't normally bring any big updates, just refinement of what they already have.
Wroom wroom

Morteza

@ScarbsTech
New Sauber-like fins on the joint between the top wishbone and upright

Also some close-up shots

Photos via AMuS