McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL33

Yes, it's been moved from the cavity in the old nose above.

bill shoe
bill shoe

iichel wrote:
17 May 2018, 14:40
looks like something of a ride height sensor near the trailing edge of the cape?
yes, looks much like a laser ride height sensor.

mclaren111

Amus:

New Bargeboard details.

dp12
dp12

There's still more to play around with the bargebords and the floor and side pods in order to fight with the top 3

f1rules
f1rules

from testing

f1rules
f1rules

AMUS diffuser comparison

f1rules
f1rules

picture of the new floor, very bare behind the bargeboard area where the floor starts, i expect a lot coming there
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dddp6HDWAAA5u7I.jpg:large

personally i would like to see these two features
at front floor also ferrari has these

and the r shaped small vortex generators/flowconditioners

M840TR
M840TR

Compared to others, the engine cover seems to be quite open. Does that indicate that their cooling might not be as good or is it due to the converged rear upper suspension arms?

makecry
makecry

M840TR wrote:
18 May 2018, 15:45
Compared to others, the engine cover seems to be quite open. Does that indicate that their cooling might not be as good or is it due to the converged rear upper suspension arms?
They are using Renault’s stock cooling solution. They said they will design their own once they have more experience. Makes me wonder if that’s the cause of “drag” along with that big fat engine cover. Renault did have issues with drag last year IIRC.

Benii6
Benii6

makecry wrote:
18 May 2018, 21:09
M840TR wrote:
They are using Renault’s stock cooling solution. They said they will design their own once they have more experience. Makes me wonder if that’s the cause of “drag” along with that big fat engine cover. Renault did have issues with drag last year IIRC.
What are you on about? It's obviously because of the new suspension. To me the engine cover isn't any bigger it's just ''more up'' so it covers the converging points of the upper arms. Isn't that the whole point of the new suspension design?

Bisonas

makecry wrote:
18 May 2018, 21:09
M840TR wrote:
??? Renault’s stock cooling solution ??? Never heard that term before. source ??
Going conservative on cooling until they feel more comfortable with the engine, dosn't make it a "Renault’s stock cooling solution". Each chassis has its own signature and its own cooling design and internals.IMO There is not such a thing as a Renault’s stock cooling solution.

makecry
makecry

Bisonas wrote:
18 May 2018, 22:07

??? Renault’s stock cooling solution ??? Never heard that term before. source ??
Going conservative on cooling until they feel more comfortable with the engine, dosn't make it a "Renault’s stock cooling solution". Each chassis has its own signature and its own cooling design and internals.IMO There is not such a thing as a Renault’s stock cooling solution.
Benii6 wrote:
18 May 2018, 21:45

What are you on about? It's obviously because of the new suspension. To me the engine cover isn't any bigger it's just ''more up'' so it covers the converging points of the upper arms. Isn't that the whole point of the new suspension design?

I like how you guys just debunked it without asking for a source or giving me a proper source and completely ignored the "IIRC", Maybe stock solution is a wrong word to describe it but I am not wrong in what I am trying to imply.

But here is Matt Morris' quote in which he says they are not going to try and do anything themselves yet ,
"The cooling and radiator requirements are also completely different, with Morris admitting that McLaren will simply rely on Renault's recommendations for the first year.

"Only with more experience does it make sense to develop something of our own," he said.

I get the point of arguing,discussion and debate but arguments for the sake of arguing is just waste of time.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Bisonas wrote:
Matt Morris confirmed that they're just using Renault's stock recommendations for the radiators/temperatures/capacities, etc, not trying to make a package themselves until next year when they have more data.

the EDGE
the EDGE

PhillipM wrote:
18 May 2018, 22:42
Bisonas wrote:
Matt Morris confirmed that they're just using Renault's stock recommendations for the radiators/temperatures/capacities, etc, not trying to make a package themselves until next year when they have more data.
Your getting your self confused. He said they were following Renaults recommendations. They still design & make the system themselves. Next year when they have a better understanding of the cooling needs he said they can run less conservative on cooling