McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Benii6
Benii6

Re: McLaren MCL33

makecry wrote:
18 May 2018, 22:28
Bisonas wrote:
18 May 2018, 22:07

??? Renault’s stock cooling solution ??? Never heard that term before. source ??
Going conservative on cooling until they feel more comfortable with the engine, dosn't make it a "Renault’s stock cooling solution". Each chassis has its own signature and its own cooling design and internals.IMO There is not such a thing as a Renault’s stock cooling solution.
Benii6 wrote:
18 May 2018, 21:45

What are you on about? It's obviously because of the new suspension. To me the engine cover isn't any bigger it's just ''more up'' so it covers the converging points of the upper arms. Isn't that the whole point of the new suspension design?

I like how you guys just debunked it without asking for a source or giving me a proper source and completely ignored the "IIRC", Maybe stock solution is a wrong word to describe it but I am not wrong in what I am trying to imply.

But here is Matt Morris' quote in which he says they are not going to try and do anything themselves yet ,
"The cooling and radiator requirements are also completely different, with Morris admitting that McLaren will simply rely on Renault's recommendations for the first year.

"Only with more experience does it make sense to develop something of our own," he said.

I get the point of arguing,discussion and debate but arguments for the sake of arguing is just waste of time.

Yes, I remember that quote from Matt Morris and I knew what you meant with ''Renault's stock cooling solution''. But the initial comment you replied to was wondering why McLaren's engine cover was so open at the back. And in my opinion it has nothing to do with the cooling but with the suspension. Just look at Renault's engine cover opening, it's much more conventional.

Bisonas

makecry wrote:
18 May 2018, 22:28
Bisonas wrote:
18 May 2018, 22:07

??? Renault’s stock cooling solution ??? Never heard that term before. source ??
Going conservative on cooling until they feel more comfortable with the engine, dosn't make it a "Renault’s stock cooling solution". Each chassis has its own signature and its own cooling design and internals.IMO There is not such a thing as a Renault’s stock cooling solution.
Benii6 wrote:
18 May 2018, 21:45

What are you on about? It's obviously because of the new suspension. To me the engine cover isn't any bigger it's just ''more up'' so it covers the converging points of the upper arms. Isn't that the whole point of the new suspension design?

I like how you guys just debunked it without asking for a source or giving me a proper source and completely ignored the "IIRC", Maybe stock solution is a wrong word to describe it but I am not wrong in what I am trying to imply.

But here is Matt Morris' quote in which he says they are not going to try and do anything themselves yet ,
"The cooling and radiator requirements are also completely different, with Morris admitting that McLaren will simply rely on Renault's recommendations for the first year.

"Only with more experience does it make sense to develop something of our own," he said.

I get the point of arguing,discussion and debate but arguments for the sake of arguing is just waste of time.
Matt Morris made that quote November of 2017. It was the obvious thing to say and it was a no brainer, especially at the time those comments where made.
Ofc they would follow Renault's recommendations on many things regarding the engine. But in no means that makes the Mclaren's back end and the whole the engine packaging a "Renault’s stock cooling solution".
Sure they will have to rely on the numbers Renault gave them about many things, but packaging the engine and the internals has a lot more things involved than just following Renault recommendations.
I don't disagree that they obviously had to go very conservative at the cooling design, but it was your choice of words that brought up the debate. You just made it sound so absolute.
But yea i understand what you implying. I don't fully agree though.
I do believe Mclaren already have a pretty good idea about the cooling requirements and about future developments on that area.

diffuser

Looking at alot of pictures of the RBR car. When I compared it to the MCL33, I noticed, they've taken alot out of the side pods/ They seem to have put it in above the PU behind the loop hole. The front facing hole of the side pods are 50% to 1/3ird of McLarens. That decreases the front facing foot print enormously.

I wonder if that's something they're gonna work on for next year ....

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
19 May 2018, 19:07
Looking at alot of pictures of the RBR car. When I compared it to the MCL33, I noticed, they've taken alot out of the side pods/ They seem to have put it in above the PU behind the loop hole. The front facing hole of the side pods are 50% to 1/3ird of McLarens. That decreases the front facing foot print enormously.

Yeah, they have a large intercooler in the middle instead of two on the sides like Mclaren. This leaves the mcl33 narrow at the top but not on the sides; rb14 is vice versa. It might indicate that the redbull utilizes the diffuser more whereas the Mclaren the rear wing.

diffuser

The diffuser has very little drag while the rear wing has alot.

DiogoBrand

M840TR wrote:
19 May 2018, 21:43
diffuser wrote:

Yeah, they have a large intercooler in the middle instead of two on the sides like Mclaren. This leaves the mcl33 narrow at the top but not on the sides; rb14 is vice versa. It might indicate that the redbull utilizes the diffuser more whereas the Mclaren the rear wing.
Do they use air/air or water/air intercoolers? If they use air to air intercoolers, having them on top of the engine as opposed to the sidepods could also mean shorter pipe runs, which would benefit engine responsiveness.

roon
roon

M840TR wrote:
19 May 2018, 21:43
diffuser wrote:

The RB14 has two air-to-air intercoolers, one per side, sharing space with the water radiators, as in previous years. Note the following image has an error; the 2017 car is actually a 2016.

McLaren and Renault likely have similar arrangement.

FW17

Only lotus tried a different arrangement with the Renault engine

diffuser

I was wrong.... they still have the coolers in the side pods

They have as smaller opening, more vertically stacked, with little undercut to the sidepods and the sidepods start alot further back. The space between the edge of the floor and the sidepod is larger on the McLaren.

Since the floor is a regulated size and so are the tires and width of the car at the tires just visually make a line from the inside of the rear tire forward.

anyways no biggie....

M840TR
M840TR

Is it possible that they positioned the intercoolers in a more horizontal position for the vortex generators on top to work effectively?

cramr
cramr

FW17 wrote:
20 May 2018, 08:32

http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/lotus-11.jpg
This was a quite common arrangement with the Pre V6-Turbo engines since the cooling requirement were much lower

FW17

cramr wrote:
21 May 2018, 07:55
FW17 wrote:
20 May 2018, 08:32

http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/lotus-11.jpg
This was a quite common arrangement with the Pre V6-Turbo engines since the cooling requirement were much lower
That lotus had a water air inter cooler on the floor and all radiators vertically.

McLaren too had vertical radiators in 2014

LuisFeF1

New rear brake fins in Spain

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
20 May 2018, 21:09
Is it possible that they positioned the intercoolers in a more horizontal position for the vortex generators on top to work effectively?
It's possible but It doesn't look like it from the picture. Plus I think the greater the angle the thinner you can make the radiator.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
22 May 2018, 03:03
M840TR wrote:
20 May 2018, 21:09
It's possible but It doesn't look like it from the picture. Plus I think the greater the angle the thinner you can make the radiator.
Wouldn't the radiator come in stock for everyone from the engine manufacturer based on the cooling requirements?