McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL33

Exactly, finally they added these

adrianjordan

Some talk over on the team page of an updated version of the new nose.

Is this correct? Any pics?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

M840TR
M840TR

adrianjordan wrote: ↑
08 Jun 2018, 22:43

Only know that they kept changing nose on Alonso's car between old and new throughout the session

Benii6
Benii6

M840TR wrote: ↑
08 Jun 2018, 22:53
adrianjordan wrote: ↑
08 Jun 2018, 22:43

Only know that they kept changing nose on Alonso's car between old and new throughout the session
Old and new nose? They were trying out different front wings. I don't know where you saw the old nose.

Morteza

Flow-Viz on the front wing too

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon
roon

godlameroso wrote: ↑
08 Jun 2018, 16:34
mclaren111 wrote: ↑
08 Jun 2018, 15:51
08 Jun 2018, 15:25
Still in the design phase possibly? It's really hard to develop that area, it's almost baked into the chassis. So changing that requires a B-spec chassis, it's a huge investment. The payoff would have to be guaranteed before going down that route.

Keep in mind the big changes for 2019. I would only persue now what can be used & fixed for 2019.

At the top is Rear Suspension
The mid wing area doesn't change at all, just lower bargeboard leading edge. Neither does the diffuser, and the front wing won't change things too much. The biggest change comes from the draggier rear wing.
McLaren uniquely running the most complex RW endplates on the grid for a couple years (?) now. I wonder if this'll be maintained in the coming years or not.

daverdfw
daverdfw

roon wrote: ↑
09 Jun 2018, 02:58

Keep in mind the big changes for 2019. I would only persue now what can be used & fixed for 2019.

The mid wing area doesn't change at all, just lower bargeboard leading edge. Neither does the diffuser, and the front wing won't change things too much. The biggest change comes from the draggier rear wing.
McLaren uniquely running the most complex RW endplates on the grid for a couple years (?) now. I wonder if this'll be maintained in the coming years or not.
pretty sure the rules for 2019 will restrict them.

makecry
makecry

Can anyone here explain how McLaren's RW of justice works? I remember reading they reduce drag but it would be good if someone who understands Aero can explain.

roon
roon

makecry wrote: ↑
09 Jun 2018, 05:08

Can anyone here explain how McLaren's RW of justice works? I remember reading they reduce drag but it would be good if someone who understands Aero can explain.
That could be. Can't say for sure, however. Intuition says that they're doing the same thing to the lower edge of the endplate as they are with the top i.e. adding louvers to reduce the pressure differential either side of the endplate, reducing the intensity of the vortexes shed by the wing-endplate complex. Supposedly this reduces drag when compared to a solid endplate in the same general arrangement, or at least this how it is often spoken of.

Looking at the endplate head-on, it's easy to see they have endplate with a distinct lower edge (unique to them), which is louvered in a way similar to the treatment of the commonplace upper endplate louveres. (below)

M840TR wrote: ↑
08 Jun 2018, 19:43

mclaren111

It seems to me the gaps between the top 3 cascades are bigger / further apart than before ??

wesley123
wesley123

09 Jun 2018, 05:59
makecry wrote: ↑
09 Jun 2018, 05:08

That could be. Can't say for sure, however. Intuition says that they're doing the same thing to the lower edge of the endplate as they are with the top i.e. adding louvers to reduce the pressure differential either side of the endplate, reducing the intensity of the vortexes shed by the wing-endplate complex. Supposedly this reduces drag when compared to a solid endplate in the same general arrangement, or at least this how it is often spoken of.

Looking at the endplate head-on, it's easy to see they have endplate with a distinct lower edge (unique to them), which is louvered in a way similar to the treatment of the commonplace upper endplate louveres. (below)

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/wingendplates.html

I bring a mulsannes corner article into this. In LMPs deep endplates are very common, as they, basically, increase the effective wingspan. The small issue F1 has with the 2017 ruleset is that the endplate tucks inboard a little bit below the leading edge of the wing. McLAren has opened this area up, and filled a large part in with vertical elements, effectively increasing endplate depth. This would increase the effective wingspan.

The split vertical elements seem to come from the slots McLaren, and Red Bull had below the wing. Bhall had a great theory about it(which I weren't able to find); Current slots on the topside will push the vortex outside of the endplates. This effectively increases the area that has to push through the air. By injecting air on the underside they try to do the same thing, but keep these vortices contained in between the end plate.

Why these slots are extended further downwards is a mystery to me.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

I think the biggest improvement mclaren can do to this car is to remove those bargeboards (the part under the "ard mille") and install baregboards with larger area in the vertical plane extending higher up the side of the tub. A redesign of the side pod opening would be done subsequent to that too.

This area is where the biggest deficit is to the other teams aero wise.

from the front view, we see how nonexistent it is from the front view. This could be down to their philsophy. Could me more biased towards air entering the sidepods than it is about airflow around the sidepods.
For Sure!!

Jolle
Jolle

ringo wrote: ↑
09 Jun 2018, 16:31
https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/F ... 168826.jpg

I think the biggest improvement mclaren can do to this car is to remove those bargeboards (the part under the "ard mille") and install baregboards with larger area in the vertical plane extending higher up the side of the tub. A redesign of the side pod opening would be done subsequent to that too.

This area is where the biggest deficit is to the other teams aero wise.

https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/S ... 168825.jpg
from the front view, we see how nonexistent it is from the front view. This could be down to their philsophy. Could me more biased towards air entering the sidepods than it is about airflow around the sidepods.
I think the shape of the bargeboards is more or less dictated by everything in front of it and where they want the air to go. It looks like, with the rather low front wishbones, they want to maximise the air going under the sidepod opening and around the back over the DF. The air on top of the sidepod looks more or less stable so they only need small vanes to direct it where they want it.

If you compare this to the other extreme, Mercedes, who have raised their front suspension so high that it blocks the side pod entrance seen from the front, they have more of a tunnel below the lower wishbone coming from the neutral section of the FW and in need of a big element on the sidepod to calm the air again.

So in my mind with McLaren they need to direct the air on that "ard mille"section downwards while (for instance) Mercedes just need it to stay horizontal.

Sevach
Sevach

LuisFeF1

New rear wing:

Second plane curved at the ends (yellow arrow)