McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: McLaren MCL33

Via @eboullier
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GoranF1

Last years car looked "naked" as well compared to others, and then it had the best in-season aero development rate off all, it is the Peter Prodrumou way.

Livery very Mclaren💪
Last edited by GoranF1 on 23 Feb 2018, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

JPBD1990

Very interesting floor! The first of its kind I can remember? But as someone above said... if it does not meet the edge, and is one continuous line, I would have thought that is not legal?

f1rules

but tiny airbox intake
BosF1 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:14
The sidepods have a huge undercut but seem rather wide at the top, especially compared to other Renault-customer Red Bull. However some people posted on the forum that Renault it self and McLaren might have gone a bit more conservative with the engine cooling and indeed it looks to be that way.

The front wing is more or less the latest iteration of de MCL32 front wing. The barge board area also seems quite similar to the latest iterations. I guess they want mileage at testing (very understandable) and will bolt on the new bits in the second week of testing.

Bisonas

Well, the sidepods are overall wider than the cars with the Ferrari solution, but the air inlets are smaller than last years.
The undercut though below the inlets is one of the most aggressive we have seen so far, and i guess Mclaren is placing the bet there, directing and channeling as much air as possible through the undercut.

I see they are quite confident with cooling, cause the sidepods air intakes are on the small side of things, and the roll hoop air intake is maybe the smaller we have seen.

BosF1

How on earth do you climb into this car as a driver? If you step on the sidepod, your feet will get pierced by all those vertical vanes. If you climb in the car via the nose, you encounter that huge halo. Best solution is to get in via the engine cover over the airbox and jump into the seat? :lol:

jagunx51

............!!!!

CjC
CjC

Can not wait to read Gary Anderson's review on Autosport for this.... :roll:
Just a fan's point of view

GoranF1

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:26
Can not wait to read Gary Anderson's review on Autosport for this.... :roll:
God i hope he says its terrible...

cliffgamerz

Why on top down view the rear tyre diameter is less than that of front, dont tell me its because of bad camera angle or actually the wheel diameter is shorter on rears for 2018 #-o

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GoranF1

Rear suspension is very strange

the EDGE

That must be the flatest suspension geometry I’ve ever seen, front & back

Thunder

BosF1 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:14
The sidepods have a huge undercut but seem rather wide at the top, especially compared to other Renault-customer Red Bull. However some people posted on the forum that Renault it self and McLaren might have gone a bit more conservative with the engine cooling and indeed it looks to be that way.

The front wing is more or less the latest iteration of de MCL32 front wing. The barge board area also seems quite similar to the latest iterations. I guess they want mileage at testing (very understandable) and will bolt on the new bits in the second week of testing.
Mr. Prodromou stated a few Weeks ago the Launch Spec will be very basic. But Race 1 Upgrade is in the Works for 2 or 3 Months now and will be quite substantial.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Gerhardsa

I am disappointed.
This car doesn't look like something that belongs in the top 4 (teams wise, not even talking top 4 spots in a race)
Looks not nearly as well designed as the Merc, RB or Ferrari.
I was really hoping for some radical chassis development from a "revived and refreshed" McLaren team over the winter.
But then again, I might be talking or judging to soon. From the look of it, it seems like McLaren has a long way to go.

At least the floor looks wicket!