McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: McLaren MCL33

That last rear end picture was from FP2 ? It might be older that diffuser looks like it was 2 iterations ago. No black on the vortex generators so it's not from Hungry test session. I can see green flowvis on the left rear brake so it must have been in a FP somewhere.

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 14:15
PhillipM wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 03:04
M840TR wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 02:50

This wasn't just a test for the sidepods but the undercut and floor too.
That's where they've been having problems, right where they meet the floor between the two sculpted cuts. Just below the 'dell technologies' sticker. The flow from the top of the sidepod and the vortex generators rolls over to the underside there.

I see the "CCC" between the last "L" in DELL and the "h" in Tech on the right side. The air appears to detach there or get turbulent but the flow on the floor is good. I guess the expectation is the air flow stick to the side of that? You can see the air coming down from the top is pulling the air down off the side of the sidepod down to the floor (under hnologi).
I don't really see any detachment. The downwash from the vortex generators is comfortably merging with the air from the undercut and going towards the diffuser. The floor is being sealed nicely too by the elongated cuts.

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 14:26
That last rear end picture was from FP2 ? It might be older that diffuser looks like it was 2 iterations ago. No black on the vortex generators so it's not from Hungry test session. I can see green flowvis on the left rear brake so it must have been in a FP somewhere.
Looks like it's on the starting grid from maybe Austria.

M840TR

Low downforce rear wing testing in Hungary, probably Belgium spec.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 11:04

https://i.imgur.com/YReyH7m.jpg
you can see flowvis on the rear wing. Where you getting these great pictures 840 ?

Notice the images on the TV screen? they look familiar ?

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 14:51
M840TR wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 11:04

https://i.imgur.com/YReyH7m.jpg
you can see flowvis on the rear wing. Where you getting these great pictures 840 ?

Notice the images on the TV screen? they look familiar ?
Nice catch! This is a still from the Hungary testing video about Norris.
Nothing special about images on the screens though. Just few wallpapers etc.

PhillipM

Some of it's right, 2019 work started a while ago, there is a new chassis (it's not more conservative, it's to address the issues they've found and improve the packaging), new gearbox.

The interesting engine talks for 2021 are with Honda as mentioned a while ago. Mclaren has the option of either and Honda isn't averse to coming back to Mcl.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 22:25
Some of it's right, 2019 work started a while ago, there is a new chassis (it's not more conservative, it's to address the issues they've found and improve the packaging), new gearbox.

The interesting engine talks for 2021 are with Honda as mentioned a while ago. Mclaren has the option of either and Honda isn't averse to coming back to Mcl.
What do you mean the new chassis isn’t conservative? Some radical design changes? Will we not see any updates this year anymore?
2021 talks are just talks for now...

M840TR

Kiel probes mounted behind the new front wing to measure airflow.

diffuser

We're not gonna see any major bardgeboard/mid-wing updates. The last bardgeboard update was the last thing they really did specifically for the 2018. I think they've been working, since last year, at redesigning/repackaging the side-pods. They're gonna move some of the contents from the side-pods to above the PU, space vacated by the Honda PU. The new nose was designed to work with the 2019 side-pods. Even the new wing has 2019 reg in mind. That's my guess, my hope, based on what we've been seeing them doing in testing.

charliesmithhd

diffuser wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 18:14
We're not gonna see any major bardgeboard/mid-wing updates. The last bardgeboard update was the last thing they really did specifically for the 2018. I think they've been working, since last year, at redesigning/repackaging the side-pods. They're gonna move some of the contents from the side-pods to above the PU, space vacated by the Honda PU. The new nose was designed to work with the 2019 side-pods. Even the new wing has 2019 reg in mind. That's my guess, my hope, based on what we've been seeing them doing in testing.
Lots of thing to look forward to then. Would the sidepods be more like Ferrari's then?

diffuser

charliesmithhd wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 18:27
diffuser wrote:
Lots of thing to look forward to then. Would the sidepods be more like Ferrari's then?
Lots of the Stuff PP does look RBResque for obvious reasons.

PhillipM

diffuser wrote:
Well, they had new sidepods made long ago, but they never shipped out, guess that was when they found their issues on track and they wouldn't work without more repackaging #-o

I haven't chatted to anyone for a while 'cause I've been on holiday, but the last tie I did they were still going to keep bringing pieces to the car, basically anything that trickles down from the '19 car and will bolt on.

makecry

PhillipM wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 19:16
diffuser wrote:
Well, they had new sidepods made long ago, but they never shipped out, guess that was when they found their issues on track and they wouldn't work without more repackaging #-o

I haven't chatted to anyone for a while 'cause I've been on holiday, but the last tie I did they were still going to keep bringing pieces to the car, basically anything that trickles down from the '19 car and will bolt on.
I am a bit confused here. But if Sidepods were made and ready, why not at least try them out and see how it translates on the track? I am not buying the whole sidepods were made thing and ofcourse I dont mean to offend you nor i m "calling you out", it's just that if they got them made and they were ready, which means it was ready to be bolted on, it also means that they thought it was ready to be used on track or else they would make the part and that it had had a lot of resources put into them so them not trying them out to get an idea is something that is not something I am able to understand.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 19:16
diffuser wrote:

Are you talking about the current sidepods that were introduced in Spain or is this a different spec not seen yet?