McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
McHonda
McHonda

Re: McLaren MCL33

That rear suspension is crazy. :shock:

It scares me when McLaren has crazy suspensions...

GoranF1
GoranF1

Gerhardsa wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:34
I am disappointed.
This car doesn't look like something that belongs in the top 4 (teams wise, not even talking top 4 spots in a race)
Looks not nearly as well designed as the Merc, RB or Ferrari.
I was really hoping for some radical chassis development from a "revived and refreshed" McLaren team over the winter.
But then again, I might be talking or judging to soon. From the look of it, it seems like McLaren has a long way to go.

At least the floor looks wicket!
It looked like that last year as well at the launch it's the way PP thinks.....remember Mclaren's last year aero development in season?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

the EDGE
the EDGE

Gerhardsa wrote:
I am disappointed.
This car doesn't look like something that belongs in the top 4 (teams wise, not even talking top 4 spots in a race)
I was really hoping for some radical chassis development from a "revived and refreshed" McLaren team over the winter.
But then again, I might be talking or judging to soon. From the look of it, it seems like McLaren has a long way to go.

But this isn’t a sculpture competition... nothing looks good, unless the car is a winner, then everything looks excellent all of a sudden

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

McHonda wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:35
That rear suspension is crazy. :shock:

It scares me when McLaren has crazy suspensions...
Yes we clearly remember the mushroom suspensions :wtf:

Gerhardsa

the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:37
Gerhardsa wrote:
I am disappointed.

But this isn’t a sculpture competition... nothing looks good, unless the car is a winner, then everything looks excellent all of a sudden
I hope you guys are right.
Would like nothing more that to see the old man up there fighting Ham, Vet, Ric and Ves.

Thunder

Packaging seems to be quite neat. The Garage Photo shows they have quite some Real Estate on top of the Floor to work with.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

BosF1
BosF1

Thunder wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:31
BosF1 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:14
The sidepods have a huge undercut but seem rather wide at the top, especially compared to other Renault-customer Red Bull. However some people posted on the forum that Renault it self and McLaren might have gone a bit more conservative with the engine cooling and indeed it looks to be that way.

The front wing is more or less the latest iteration of de MCL32 front wing. The barge board area also seems quite similar to the latest iterations. I guess they want mileage at testing (very understandable) and will bolt on the new bits in the second week of testing.
Mr. Prodromou stated a few Weeks ago the Launch Spec will be very basic. But Race 1 Upgrade is in the Works for 2 or 3 Months now and will be quite substantial.
Ah, I missed that newsflash. Sounds really logical given they first need to understand how the Renault engine behaves in combination with their chassis. One step at a time!

DiogoBrand

The sidepod inlet shape reminds me of Ferrari's. With everyone going for tight packaging this year, I wonder wether Red Bull's wide bottom or McLaren and Ferrari's big undercut will prevail.

the EDGE
the EDGE

What I can’t get my head around is where Do the suspension track arms connect to the wheels?

If you follow them down they just seem to disappear, and if you imagine the line continuing they would seem to connect to the bottom of the tire, not the wheel hub. I wonder if there is something strange going on here

markovski19
markovski19

No Renault logo on the nose?

bauc

Compared to the likes of RBR, Mercedes & Ferrari this car looks underdeveloped for sure, but like we've read from reports in the last few days, this is basically a launch spec version, very ''basic'' and I'm safe to call it MCL32-B

What Mclaren needs from this car is stable platform to develop the car, no ugly surprises ect. As they've said, by the first race this car will look dramatically different so I'm expecting a big development push aero wise and smooth PU testing and integration. What they need is 100 + laps x8 days of testing.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Vanja #66

Like many others, I was hoping for more from MCL33, but we have to be honest - changing engines is a big task, and they know more than any other team how important the power unit is. It's a conservative approach, but if it results in only 1-2 technical DNS or DNFs, than it was worth it. If they have no technical DNFs this year, well, that would be something!

I won't give this car too much thought, yet. Let's see it in first few races, I'm really hoping to see something different from them.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Mat-tes
Mat-tes

bauc wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:55
Compared to the likes of RBR, Mercedes & Ferrari this car looks underdeveloped for sure, but like we've read from reports in the last few days, this is basically a launch spec version, very ''basic'' and I'm safe to call it MCL32-B
It's more like MCL33 now and in Australia it will be MCL33-B if you follow that logic since it's clearly a new chassis.

The slots on the floor can make us hopeful that the rest of the car will benefit from a solid update come race one.
The small airbox remind me of the pre 2008 cars.
It probably pointless to look for it right now, but there is no s-duct exit for now. The crazy rear wing end plates of justice are still there, for how long?
I'm just wondering how easy is it to carry over elements from the previous car to bolt it in place, if so that could save a lot of time in building a launch spec and race one update simultaneously.
Last edited by Mat-tes on 23 Feb 2018, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

Postmoe

Holm86 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 09:04
Looks like a stegosaurus on top of the sidepods with all those turning vanes 😄
And that's the longest floor slits I've ever seen
Without the Petrobras livery we lost an opportunity to name it the lizard.

All those turning vanes and the high side pods seem to point to a different concept.

I think it’s nice that it’s this way

Thunder

Neat little Detail:
Also mounting Point for a Monkey Seat / lower T-Wing or whatever they have this Year.
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 1574252544

Edit:
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/966948593625194496
Front Bulkhead seems a bit raised on the outsides to accomodate Suspension Arms. (Left and Right of the 14)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum