McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marco Alves

Re: McLaren MCL33

(...)

Much of the upgrade planned for Australia, Boullier says, is coming for the next race in Bahrain on 6-8 April. "So that should help us." Some parts might not appear until the next race in China.

And one important part of what should have been in Australia - a new nose design which requires a new FIA crash test - is now not expected until the Spanish Grand Prix in May.

(...)

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6326 ... _paid_off/

Flying JPS Lotus

Very interested to see how they'll update their current nose. Is the new nose going to have a completely different philosophy to the current one? Or will it just be an evolution of their current nose? More likely the latter, but I could see the team adding a hole to their nosecone a lot like the team at Milton Keynes. I think that's also a possibility but we'll only know by Barcelona

"Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"

#AeroUruk-Hai

makecry

I feel it has more to do with the S-duct but they are saying it will need a new crash test so it can be significantly different. It's the crash test that is the reason for it's delay.

ivanlesk

makecry wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 01:02
I feel it has more to do with the S-duct but they are saying it will need a new crash test so it can be significantly different. It's the crash test that is the reason for it's delay.
That, and maybe reworking slightly engine packaging to address health pockets and be more flexible with cooling.

They probably could do upgrade for AUS if they hadn't had problems in Barcelona. This way they have two weeks more and Bahrain is a lot closer to delivery parts.

makecry

ivanlesk wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 09:07
makecry wrote:
That, and maybe reworking slightly engine packaging to address health pockets and be more flexible with cooling.

They probably could do upgrade for AUS if they hadn't had problems in Barcelona. This way they have two weeks more and Bahrain is a lot closer to delivery parts.
Save some money in transport costs meanwhile . Australia did work out in the end. They got a good result and they save some money.

About the heat pocket issue, there were some photos which showed burn marks in Australia. It was posted by someone on reddit. I will try to post it here if I find it.

ivanlesk

makecry wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 09:13
ivanlesk wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 09:07
makecry wrote:

Save some money in transport costs meanwhile . Australia did work out in the end. They got a good result and they save some money.

About the heat pocket issue, there were some photos which showed burn marks in Australia. It was posted by someone on reddit. I will try to post it here if I find it.
Yeah, i've seen them.

I don't believe that is big issue but probably stops them to use engine 100% or can't run it for long time on 100%.

Overall, for me they dellivered solid package in first race and can now do some proper development this year. Their devel rate must be very rapid if they want to achieve sometnihg in 2019 and 2020, but enigne and money wize they can't compete with Merc, Fer and Ren.

Thunder

Some Posts have been moved to the Team Thread. Let's keep this topic on the technical side of the Car.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

Really nice close-up of Rear Suspension arm

godlameroso

I never noticed those 2 little winglets. On the bodywork behind the arm, the sun shines on 1/4 of them.
Saishū kōnā

Thunder

godlameroso wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 15:19
I never noticed those 2 little winglets. On the bodywork behind the arm, the sun shines on 1/4 of them.

That's the Crash Structure Winglets above the Diffusor.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

godlameroso

Thanks for that, this shows the main diffuser section quite clearly, it's very nicely contoured. I can't wait until McLaren gets their chassis in order, it has the potential to be quite competitive.
Saishū kōnā

LuisFeF1

In the past Australian GP McLaren introduced a new floor (see big white arrow):

and a new diffuser:

From 6 to 4 vertical fins (green arrows).
The largest fin (colored in cyan) with two vertical cuts.

And also lower part of the rear wing endplate without decorating (see pink arrows)

Bisonas

LuisFeF1 wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 18:57
In the past Australian GP McLaren introduced a new floor (see big white arrow):

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/819/2626 ... ba57_b.jpg

and a new diffuser:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/885/2626 ... 5f21_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/887/2626 ... ca68_b.jpg

From 6 to 4 vertical fins (green arrows).
The largest fin (colored in cyan) with two vertical cuts.

And also lower part of the rear wing endplate without decorating (see pink arrows)
Is the far left and far right edge of the diffuser little different also ?? right above the @LuisFeF1 on the AUS diffuser ??
Seems a little diffrent. Unless the picture fools me.

Xero

Bisonas wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 11:24
Is the far left and far right edge of the diffuser little different also ?? right above the @LuisFeF1 on the AUS diffuser ??
Seems a little diffrent. Unless the picture fools me.
Yes, the edges of the diffuser also very different. First time I've seen a clear comparison like this, it's a huge difference. Has me excited for the rest of the package! Maybe it is radically different after all.