McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL33

Rake seems similar to last year.

RZS10

Redragon wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 15:10
The only way to do from two different pictures is to access the EXIF data of the pictures to know what lenses were used for the shots, that would give you a more precise metering of the distance but unfortunately the high of the camera from where it was taking from is not on the EXIF so it would be still a close call but not precise at all.
yea ... i've changed the wording of the post because i kept running into issues whilst doing it ... kept adjusting the old car using wing endplates, rim height etc .. the left rear is guesswork based on the front left's position and a tiny bit of wheel one can still see

Big Mangalhit

Wasn't the rear endplates slots forbidden or did I dreamt it? If they are indeed forbidden is that only provisional or legal?

bonjon1979

RZS10 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 14:21
One way to get a somewhat more valid wheelbase comparison with shots from a similar perspective but different zoom/lens is trying to get to the center of the car on the axles after making sure the wheels have the same diameter (checking top to bottom since that does not change as much or at all with perspective)... but it's harder to do on real pics than in this shitty example made in paint
https://i.imgur.com/OBu9fhj.png

edit: ok i've done it with a similar result ... :roll:

https://i.imgur.com/LCiAjKe.png
These photos prove how ridiculous it is to try and discern exact wheel base lengths from different photos, taken with different lens, from different angles on different days. It's pointless.

marvin78

You see so many pointless things here. The people like to do those things. So let them.

Redragon

Big Mangalhit wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 15:44
Wasn't the rear endplates slots forbidden or did I dreamt it? If they are indeed forbidden is that only provisional or legal?
I think is next year

cyclon

Redragon wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 15:49
Big Mangalhit wrote:
I think is next year
IMO aero must be set free or completely banned!
No real progress (synonym to F1) since every radical aero gets banned!
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

FrukostScones

cyclon wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 15:53
Redragon wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 15:49
Big Mangalhit wrote:
I think is next year
IMO aero must be set free or completely banned!
No real progress (synonym to F1) since every radical aero gets banned!
only advertising then^^
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PhillipM

For a reason, we'd have 10G capable cars and dead drivers if you had no regulations.

Also, I'm surprised the rear suspension isn't being talked about more, they've done similar to mercs front lower wishbone from previous years with the rear upper - morphed it into one arm where it's in the airflow, and they've even pushed the pullrod mounting out so it's on the arm more than the upright.

Seems like quite a lot of sacrifice on the compliance/kinematics for aero back there and yet the actual engine covers aren't all that tight - something else to come in that area to complement it?

cramr

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 13:12
5. is it me, or does it look like mclaren's halo is seated higher?!!!!
doubt it! Halo is a standard part provided by FIA with a 20mm offset around for aero covers... Maybe the rake setup or something is creating some visual effects

michl420

mclaren still keeps the airbox narrow over the entire distance. With the renault engine, i expected they use it more for cooling.

Avocado

Sebp

What is it with McLaren and radical rear suspension design?

Remember these? development/20862/a-closer-look-at-mcla ... suspension
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

GoranF1

Cooling problem?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."