McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
trinidefender

Re: McLaren MCL33

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 May 2018, 19:19
Holm86 wrote:
02 May 2018, 09:51
Is this car really that draggy? It's hard to believe just looking at it, of all the cars it has the most minimalistic bargeboard area, it has one of the smalles sidepod/air intake openings, it doesnt have all kind of appendages stuck to it.

Is the lack of top speed more related to some internal cooling problems? Not allowing them to run the engine at its fullest? I think it could be the case. And maybe that's why they had to postpone the major update till Spain, because they found out about their cooling problems in pre season testing, and revising the entire cooling package takes time.
https://image.ibb.co/i4hq4H/6.jpg

All other things neglected, their side pods (i.e. internal aero) isn't as sophisticated as Red Bull's, seeing how wide side pods are. That's more frontal area and that's more drag by default. Again, just this, nothing else.
Isn't that a bit simplistic of a view. Red bull has less of an undercut. The McLaren undercut doesn't extend as far out as the width of the sidepods.

Secondly the roll hoop inlet and bodywork behind it is easily the thinnest of any team presenting less frontal area there.....however there is the rear wing behind it....

M840TR

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 May 2018, 19:19
Holm86 wrote:
02 May 2018, 09:51
Is this car really that draggy? It's hard to believe just looking at it, of all the cars it has the most minimalistic bargeboard area, it has one of the smalles sidepod/air intake openings, it doesnt have all kind of appendages stuck to it.

Is the lack of top speed more related to some internal cooling problems? Not allowing them to run the engine at its fullest? I think it could be the case. And maybe that's why they had to postpone the major update till Spain, because they found out about their cooling problems in pre season testing, and revising the entire cooling package takes time.
https://image.ibb.co/i4hq4H/6.jpg

All other things neglected, their side pods (i.e. internal aero) isn't as sophisticated as Red Bull's, seeing how wide side pods are. That's more frontal area and that's more drag by default. Again, just this, nothing else.
For some reason they make it tighter on the top as opposed to the sides; but the sidepod inlets are still much smaller than last year
https://formulaone21.files.wordpress.co ... .png?w=840

Vanja #66

It is a bit simplistic view, but it's also a general rule that has rare exceptions. However, in general, McLaren tends to run very high rear wing AoA compared to other teams, there's more drag to that as well.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Thunder

Speculation about the upcoming Barcelona Update have been moved to the Team Thread. Pleas only Discuss what's actually on the Car in here.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

McMrocks

ian_s wrote:
04 May 2018, 17:42
Macklaren wrote:
04 May 2018, 17:35
no, it just doesn't apply this year because of wider floors
so they widened the floor but didn't widen the floor hole rule. wow FIA, just wow.
Floors stayed the same width. However they changed the rules to allow these cuts. It baffles me and i don't know why but they did that.

Last years floors had the same width and the cuts had slots to make them legal

ScrewCaptain27

McMrocks wrote:
07 May 2018, 19:25
ian_s wrote:
04 May 2018, 17:42
Macklaren wrote:
04 May 2018, 17:35
no, it just doesn't apply this year because of wider floors
so they widened the floor but didn't widen the floor hole rule. wow FIA, just wow.
Floors stayed the same width. However they changed the rules to allow these cuts. It baffles me and i don't know why but they did that.

Last years floors had the same width and the cuts had slots to make them legal
I guess it’s just common sense. For once they simplified the rule rather than just banning the whole concept.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

makecry

The X-wing (?) seems much bigger here than previously?

GoranF1

It's slotted now.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

makecry

GoranF1 wrote:
10 May 2018, 10:00
It's slotted now.
There was a slot between Kimoa and the logo. That part is hidden, the new slot is in the middle. Uhmm.. Well at least found something new lol.

GoranF1

This wing is much wider and also is much more towards the front of the car....if you look old pictures the old wing started right where the sidepod starts.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

makecry

GoranF1 wrote:
10 May 2018, 10:07
This wing is much wider and also is much more towards the front of the car....if you look old pictures the old wing started right where the sidepod starts.
It does seem like it but this photo seems to say otherwise, it was in front of the car before too.

I wanna see that nose. .

Del Boy

PhillipM wrote:
04 May 2018, 15:47
M840TR wrote:
04 May 2018, 15:05
Source?
A friend, that works somewhere...but if you check back a year or two you'll see he's been right pretty often ;)
What I don't know is if they're new designs or just replacements for damage.
Phillip, Hmm do we know somebody at the same place? (LH area) BTW you are correct 3 different floors made and finished last week.

FW17

There is nothing new just some additional find and slots to existing elements.

The major change would have been a new sidepod, that obviously has not happened. Barge boards are just an evolution of the previous

Morteza

New turning vanes

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PhillipM

Those tie-wraps aren't parrallel - the old Mclaren under Ron Dennis wouldn't have stood for that! :lol:

Those turning vanes look they they still only just managed to get them out in time - there's still sanding marks and fairing compound on the rear!