2019 cars speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NL_Fer

Re: 2019 cars speculation

More ass-up-in-the-air rake cars

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 21:05

https://static.autoblog.nl/images/wp2018/sf71h-rake.jpg
They are going to have to alter the rules soon or any rear end collision and the front car will be in the cockpit with him, and the halo will only keep the big bits still attached out
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Im sick of adding more rules... it's forever strangling this sport.

VARIANT | one

NL_Fer wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 21:05

https://static.autoblog.nl/images/wp2018/sf71h-rake.jpg
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

theblackangus

Zynerji wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 23:30
Honestly, this is a formula meaning its a set of rules.
You can't have open rules because the cars will be crazy dangerous, and if you don't make rules changes to make the racing better then you will only have 1 or 2 teams competing for the championship. They really need a resource and staffing limit so all teams have roughly the same resource pool.

Are you saying you don't want to see cars be able to follow closer? Because that is what will happen if there are not any formula (rules) changes.

I kind of think the formula should be re-done every few years, or even yearly completely.
This could have the effect that teams wont spend like crazy, and will actually accept formula changes.

I mean serious changes on a yearly or every 3 year basis would be interesting. This year its a crazy future car with covered wheels, in two years it's build the best wingless car, then build the best ground effects car, etc. This would give more teams more chances to get a winning car.
You would have to limit staff though so teams with the most staff don't just win all the time.

Yeah it will never happen because of safety, but... it would be fun to see.

Zynerji

theblackangus wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 14:33
Zynerji wrote:
Honestly, this is a formula meaning its a set of rules.
You can't have open rules because the cars will be crazy dangerous, and if you don't make rules changes to make the racing better then you will only have 1 or 2 teams competing for the championship. They really need a resource and staffing limit so all teams have roughly the same resource pool.

Are you saying you don't want to see cars be able to follow closer? Because that is what will happen if there are not any formula (rules) changes.

I kind of think the formula should be re-done every few years, or even yearly completely.
This could have the effect that teams wont spend like crazy, and will actually accept formula changes.

I mean serious changes on a yearly or every 3 year basis would be interesting. This year its a crazy future car with covered wheels, in two years it's build the best wingless car, then build the best ground effects car, etc. This would give more teams more chances to get a winning car.
You would have to limit staff though so teams with the most staff don't just win all the time.

Yeah it will never happen because of safety, but... it would be fun to see.
Actually, I'm more for sharing info at the start of every weekend.

Set basic rules for the formula, and anything that meets those are free to race as long as they are shared.

This:
Tightens the field
Lowers the barriers to new entries
Removes reverse engineering departments
And lowers teams spending huge for minimal advantage.
Add a MINIMUM cap (75M$) to ensure spending of development.

I know others have shot this idea down when I presented before, but no one can point out why a self balancing system like this cannot work, just political, emotional reasons.

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 15:00
theblackangus wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 14:33
Zynerji wrote:
Honestly, this is a formula meaning its a set of rules

Set basic rules for the formula, and anything that meets those are free to race as long as they are shared.

This:
Tightens the field

I know others have shot this idea down when I presented before, but no one can point out why a self balancing system like this cannot work, just political, emotional reasons.
Can you imagine this happening and bing accompanied by the rider an itemised description of any changes published and the 'item' has to be supplied to anyone who asks for it at reasonable cost :D

Would be a lot of design people changing premises quite often then.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

It would improve the breed.

And no, not purchasable from other teams, they would still need to build their own items.

It would also eliminate 100% of any grey area cheating.

netoperek

Zynerji wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 15:52

And no, not purchasable from other teams, they would still need to build their own items.

That would probably increase grey area cheating. This sport is extremally competitive in its core and as such would promote naturally the teams that managed to hide at least some of their assets and/or leeches that concentrate their resources on copying and improving others ideas. Most of the innovations, I guess, would consist of a part that is clearly visible and naturally shared accordingly and the other part that is as hidden or counterintuitive as possible yet nessary to achieve max performance. What You propose in my view is a spec car with occasional phase shift racing.

theblackangus

Zynerji wrote:

This:
Tightens the field

That would be in interesting idea.
I think the biggest challenge is that it would have a hard time enabling the teams because the car conecpts are different and what may work well for 1 team won't translate to another.
That and there is no way to police it, but it would be cool in theory if those and the political problems didn't exist.

godlameroso

Zynerji wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 15:52

A lot of parts in F1 are still made by suppliers, it's very hard to do some things completely in house. Injectors for instance, brake disks, and calipers, heat exchangers, actuators, that's just off the top of my head.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

theblackangus wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 01:21
Zynerji wrote:

This:
Tightens the field

That would be in interesting idea.
I think the biggest challenge is that it would have a hard time enabling the teams because the car conecpts are different and what may work well for 1 team won't translate to another.
That and there is no way to police it, but it would be cool in theory if those and the political problems didn't exist.
You can't get politics out of F1, impossible, it's gotten too big, the temptation for power in this environment is too irresistible.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

The politics is driven by money, not power. The teams play political games in order to maximise their chances, as they see them, of securing the largest financial benefit.

Even Bernie was driven by money - having more beans means you're more successful and that is what drives his type: having more beans than the next guy. You could give Bernie and his type marbles instead of money and they'd still fight tooth and nail to have the biggest pile of marbles.

"If I have more beans, or marbles, than you then I win. And winning is all that matters."

That would be a simple summary of Bernie.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mszendeczki

simple front wing = complex nose (such as Mclaren)

The bargeboard and sidepod need lot of airflow and a simple front wing is not help for this. The nose will a new tricky area in 2019?

Zynerji

mszendeczki wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 20:47
simple front wing = complex nose (such as Mclaren)

The bargeboard and sidepod need lot of airflow and a simple front wing is not help for this. The nose will a new tricky area in 2019?

https://kepkuldes.com/images/84dee9a2b5 ... 45b5b4.jpg
Would need to 3d print that, and slide it over a carbon fiber thin nose...

I think the mold makers would quit if that thing came across their desk!

Looks cool tho.