Scuderia Ferrari SF72H Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10
LM10

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF72H Speculation Thread

carisi2k wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 22:53
The halo treatment looks interesting on that supposed sf72 image. It looks like the teams are trying to find a way to flatten the halo and give better vision for the driver.
Teams aren’t allowed to change the Halo itself.

carisi2k

I know that but the coverings over the halo can be changed. The slim sidepods with the entry treatments I expect to see on just about every car this year. Ferrari and Red Bull will have an advantage in this area since they pioneered these designs.

Gibbs
Gibbs

carisi2k wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 22:53
The halo treatment looks interesting on that supposed sf72 image. It looks like the teams are trying to find a way to flatten the halo and give better vision for the driver.
Take a look at Paolo Filisetti's other front view drawings from 2018, this is just the way he draws the halo and it should be noted that many of his drawings have areas which are exaggerated.

I would have thought however that it would make logical sense to go slimmer with the bodywork and sidepods to minimise the interference from the increased turbulence caused by the front wheels in both cooling and aero. If this is the case, Ferrari may have an advantage this season from the last two years of development on their unique sidepod designs and the remaining users of a conventional sidepod design may be forced into using Ferrari style sidepods as well. Of course this is speculative as I'm uneducated in aerodynamics and could be completely wrong :P

godlameroso

Some obvious things, I'm sure they're pushing the limits on cooling, smaller more efficient heat exchangers, neater engine installation are all planned I'm sure. Ferrari was very innovative in 2018, and I'm sure that will carry over. The front and rear wings will probably take around the start of the European leg before they squeeze out the most from them.

From then on it'll be all about improving the diffuser and bargeboard performance.
Saishū kōnā

Polite
Polite

hi everyone

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... t/4325682/

670 chassis Fia test omologation

claimed a narrow body work.

F1NAC

could we see aggressive approach to those vertical fins near the floor edge. They could help sealing to accommodate loss of sealing with new FW regulations?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Polite wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 21:40

Hey Polite, maybe the article has been edited but where did you see it say anything about narrow body work?

It does state that - like Mercedes - the wind tunnel results suggest they've already reached the downforce levels of last year despite the changes to the front wing regulations.

mani517
mani517

Interesting speculation about Ferrari 2019 chassis

https://ca.motorsport.com/f1/news/longe ... 9/4326761/

Speculation coming out of Ferrari has hinted that it may well have been tempted to go longer again this year. This is the result of a potentially longer transmission to move the engine away from the rear wheels – which has helped free up the possibility for a radical rear axle.

If Ferrari has gone down that route, then to help comply with the regulations (because the car's weight distribution is defined by the FIA) it will likely need to have to move its front wheels forward.

Doing that could then free up new ideas for some more aggressive sidepod solutions, which is an area where Ferrari has led the charge in recent seasons.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

The well-known Formula One blogger and insider Leo Turrini, who is notoriously close to anything that has to do with Scuderia Ferrari and is actually considered the unofficial voice of the Maranello team, reports on the latest news regarding the development of Scuderia Ferrari’s 2019 Formula One car, which will be revealed on February 15. Here are some of the most important points indicated by the famous Italian blogger and journalist Leo Turrini on his quotidiano.net blog:

– the Scuderia Ferrari technicians who have been working on the 2019 car are cautiously optimistic (first data showing are positive and provide hope for a strong package). So why cautiously? Because of the new regulations. The Maranello team is confident it has identified the right solutions but the technicians do not know what Red Bull and Mercedes have in store for next season.

– it is a well known fact that in the last two seasons, once it came out of the garage for the first tests, Scuderia Ferrari’s car was strong and showed a promising potential in the first part of the season. However, both in 2017 and 2018, the Maranello team’s problems came in the second part of the championship, more specifically after the summer break, when Ferrari’s directions for development were not the right ones. This will be one of the most important aspects on which the Italians side intends to focus in 2019.

Polite
Polite

Mr. Fahrenheit wrote:
19 Jan 2019, 17:17
Polite wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 21:40

Hey Polite, maybe the article has been edited but where did you see it say anything about narrow body work?

It does state that - like Mercedes - the wind tunnel results suggest they've already reached the downforce levels of last year despite the changes to the front wing regulations.
Not in that article, but in the rumors it s claimed to be very thin.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

I expect the trend of increasing overhead cooling to continue, especially with the wider more effective/efficient/higher rear wing. That will allow even slimmer sidepod radiators, to further increase air over the diffuser.

Regarding the fuel tanks, I expect possibly the same size or even smaller fuel tanks than in 2018 regardless of the allowed increase in race fuel usage. Overall drag should be lower for the 2019 cars than for 2018, and thus fuel usage should also be lower.

If longer, it will only be for downforce generating purposes, but most probably with a lower rake.

PhillipM
PhillipM

They'll go with the bigger tanks because it allows them to motor against the MGU's to store even more electrical energy on the tracks with high consumption anyway, Mclaren have.

Big Mangalhit

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 06:05
I expect the trend of increasing overhead cooling to continue, especially with the wider more effective/efficient/higher rear wing. That will allow even slimmer sidepod radiators, to further increase air over the diffuser.

Regarding the fuel tanks, I expect possibly the same size or even smaller fuel tanks than in 2018 regardless of the allowed increase in race fuel usage. Overall drag should be lower for the 2019 cars than for 2018, and thus fuel usage should also be lower.

If longer, it will only be for downforce generating purposes, but most probably with a lower rake.
Why do you think drag will be lower? I would think exactly the opposite. They banned wheel blowing and controlled much of the out wash from the wing so I imagine the tyre drag will increase a lot cause those two were mainly made to reduce it. Also the total surface of front/back wing will be bigger which can mean more total drag

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Big Mangalhit wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 10:33

Why do you think drag will be lower? I would think exactly the opposite. They banned wheel blowing and controlled much of the out wash from the wing so I imagine the tyre drag will increase a lot cause those two were mainly made to reduce it. Also the total surface of front/back wing will be bigger which can mean more total drag
Before answering I must admit that my knowledge of aerodynamics is very limited. I have zero knowledge of how the out wash front wing contributed to drag creation, or the blown front axle either.

The front wing changes will supposedly cover up the face of front tires at least 25mm more than last year, and the tires are a major contributer to drag(the single largest). Also the larger wing span, longer chord and higher placement of the rear wing will all lead to more efficient downforce production from the rear wing and thus allow the teams to run a lower angle of attack, thus also reducing drag.

Overall I can't honestly tell you if the drag levels will be higher or lower, but I would guess lower as that was supposedly one of the aims of the "overtaking technical group" to help increase close racing.

turbof1

I personally think drag levels will be higher. Maybe not as a result of the aerodynamic changes, but because of the 5kg higher fuel limit, which will allow more wing to be run for the race.
#AeroFrodo