McLaren MCL34 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL34 speculation thread

Why would you be sure it's not the tea tray? It looks perfectly like the tea tray, the chassis is arcing down to the floor (can't think of anywhere else you'd have that sort of joint/angle) - you have the usual tea tray stay and it has the holes for mounting the plank and ballast right there.

M840TR
M840TR

proteus wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 21:13
M840TR wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 20:14
No way it's the cockpit. The thing is probably a flashlight or something of that sort.
Well, im sure it aint the T-tray either. It must be from internal structure somewhere. The only thing that pops into my mind is somewhere in the middle - space for a fuel tank behind the driver, without engine mounted on the chasis. The cilinder cant be a flashlight, atleast not from this century.
There's a vertical strut you can see clearly. Nothing like that is in the middle, especially not the fuel tank area.

godlameroso

That's very interesting, if it is the T tray then that's the shape of the tub.
Saishū kōnā

Big Tea

It may help if we can decide what is being done. the one hand looks like a mechanics hand, but does not seem to be doing anything, the other has quite a long thumbnail. Possibly a tec of some sort? What is the red plastic? back of a torch?

It is probably the new pit wall booth :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mattchu

The hand on the right looks like it`s lifting up some kind of cover/flap with possibly the red cap covering up something behind that cover. The light looks like it`s being shone towards the hands, hence the light reflection on the cylinder bit top left.
I`m going for looking back down the hole left when the nose is off. The cylinder would be where the front of the Halo attaches/steering column. No seat fitted.

All guesswork, hopefully they`ll tell us...

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's probably part of the the battery/ERS down there so the red cap could be a warning cover for a connection/coolant port, etc, much like the tags used for coolant, oil, etc.

_cerber1

I think this is a cockpit, visible steering column. Assembly process.

Mungbean
Mungbean

https://imgur.com/a/x9kJDtZ

I lightened the image.. Looks like a mechanic retrieving the top of his Lucozade!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

GoranF1
GoranF1

The picture is strange because it was taken from the engine.
And the engine is tilted 10° to increase diffuser area(a loophole mclaren has found)

Fire away!
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

proteus

GoranF1 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 14:39
And the engine is tilted 10° to increase diffuser area(a loophole mclaren has found)

Fire away!
Goodbye reliability and goodbye testing mileage...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mclaren111

Why so negative ??

_cerber1

GoranF1 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 14:39

Fire away!
How tilt can you increase the diffuser area?

f1rules
f1rules

i think the tilt thing was discovered many years ago, by dont remember who, if mclaren went that route again i have no idea or if its even possible, but this trick was discussed some years ago

PhillipM
PhillipM

No, it's not. Goran's on the wind-up again. I think he's bored this week.
The only diffuser rumours I've heard from anywhere were about the possibility of using the rear crash structure to help link to the rear wing (I assume the crash structure position has changed with the rear wing changes but I haven't looked at the regs).

For trick stuff I have heard rumours that the brake duct changes may let you do funky things with them when the wheels are steered - because they're only defined in a static position (I assume mount them to the suspension members rather than the upright? If someone's got a model of the bounding boxes made up it might be worth a look? Or someone has access to the regs and the tech directives?), but I'd imagine that would be hell for airflow simulation. Mclaren have had enough fun with that already :lol:
That was on another forum though, not from a factory.

proteus

mclaren111 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 14:59
Why so negative ??
If the engine really is tilted, im afraid about lubricating it properly, therefore many problems may occur.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows