Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GPR-A

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

zibby43 wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 00:24
astracrazy wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 00:07
erudite450 wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 23:27

I have been wondering when they'd bring the next upgrade as I have seen anything major since Barcelona.
The advantage they have is they dont “need” to bring one. They can afford to push any upgrades back to work on them more and maybe roll them into other upgrades. Unlike other teams who will be wanting to bring upgrades to the track as soon as.

The german one, if true, maybe is so big because a) its been worked on for so long and b) is two or more rolled into one.
It’s vaporware until there’s a source attributed to it.
You will never hear any upgrades news from Mercedes, until you witness it on a race weekend. They are not like Ferrari where news leaks out to media and makes way into the forums. So, there is no reason to believe it.

mkay

GPR -A wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 10:06
zibby43 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:

The advantage they have is they dont “need” to bring one. They can afford to push any upgrades back to work on them more and maybe roll them into other upgrades. Unlike other teams who will be wanting to bring upgrades to the track as soon as.

The german one, if true, maybe is so big because a) its been worked on for so long and b) is two or more rolled into one.
You will never hear any upgrades news from Mercedes, until you witness it on a race weekend. They are not like Ferrari where news leaks out to media and makes way into the forums. So, there is no reason to believe it.
Usually AMuS is pretty much on the money with regards to Mercedes rumours/upgrades, and they haven't been posting anything about Mercedes in recent GPs which coincides with an actual lack of upgrades.

zibby43

GPR -A wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 10:06
zibby43 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:

True.

Sometimes, there are members here with connections to the teams (relatives or friends that work for them). There was a guy on here during Barcelona testing that said he had a friend that worked for Merc. He said they were worried about cooling issues and didn't think they would be solved until Barcelona.

I was skeptical at the time - that dude turned out to be spot on lol! Anyway, I'm of the opinion that this upgrade is non-existent until there's something that corroborates it.

NL_Fer

Cooling has always been marginal on the Mercedes. Most of the time they get around it by using their excellent one lap speed to start first row, pull away and control the pace.

Other problem is on these start/stop circuits, like Bahrain and Canada, they cannot make use of the W10 strong aero.

Just wait and see, next few races before Monza they will be flying again.

63l8qrrfy6

zibby43 wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 22:27
Mudflap wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 22:23
I hear they are bringing a massive update to Germany that's meant to deliver some outrageous laptime gains.
Source?
I know a few of their engineers very well.
Actually, 6-7 years ago I knew about 50% of their product engineering department in Brixworth, unfortunately most of them have since left.

LM10

Mudflap wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 21:58
zibby43 wrote:
Mudflap wrote:
I hear they are bringing a massive update to Germany that's meant to deliver some outrageous laptime gains.
Source?
Actually, 6-7 years ago I knew about 50% of their product engineering department in Brixworth, unfortunately most of them have since left.
How's the atmosphere in the factory? They must be thinking that it's only a matter of time until their floor wiping with the opponents will end with 2 world titles. Is there anyone who seriously thinks that they are in a kind of contention with the rest?

roon

Mudflap wrote:
Can't wait. Last time they introduced a big update they invented the cape. I assume you mean bodywork or suspension and not powertrain, considering which thread this is. There was testing recently involving front tire sidewall shape--maybe we'll see some tweaks to the suspension aero.

63l8qrrfy6

roon wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 22:49
Mudflap wrote:
Can't wait. Last time they introduced a big update they invented the cape. I assume you mean bodywork or suspension and not powertrain, considering which thread this is. There was testing recently involving front tire sidewall shape--maybe we'll see some tweaks to the suspension aero.
Yeah, definitely chassis side. Was very unspecific about what exactly the package is but said it is expected to easily be the biggest jump they will have made this season when it's introduced.

I hope it will be quite dramatic, last time I heard of an update there were just a few bits spotted by the media.

zibby43

Mudflap wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 21:58
zibby43 wrote:
Mudflap wrote:
Source?
That's a pretty good source, I'd say! :mrgreen:

Thank you for taking the time to share on here. This forum has some really great resources.

roon

Update speculation: radiators & engine cover, RB15 type wheels & hubs, further front wing optimization.

Could higher rad duct inlets improve cooling? Merc the only team using low inlets this year.

zibby43

roon wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 04:58
Update speculation: radiators & engine cover, RB15 type wheels & hubs, further front wing optimization.

Could higher rad duct inlets improve cooling? Merc the only team using low inlets this year.
Merc is also the only team with the low-rake philosophy and a super-slim nose. I'm wondering if these unique design characteristics, together with their front suspension's higher pickup points, are factors that contribute to sticking with the more traditional side pod location.

With the rate at which Merc has developed their FW this year, I think you're probably spot on about further optimization there. Merc's bargeboard refinement in Spain yielded them 3 tenths alone (according to the engineers), and the bargeboards are a ripe area of development this year, so I'm guessing we could see some new furniture in that area.

wesley123

zibby43 wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 05:33

Merc is also the only team with the low-rake philosophy and a super-slim nose. I'm wondering if these unique design characteristics, together with their front suspension's higher pickup points, are factors that contribute to sticking with the more traditional side pod location.
I wouldn't call the sidepods conventional per se. They do exactly the same thing as the other variants do; They all create more area between the sidepod intake and aero devices. The advantage for the merc here is that they don't have to move the sidepod further back and this has probably helped them in the aggressive profiling of the sidepod and appendages.

The pickup points and small nose help creating an unobstructed area towards the bargeboards.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LM10

zibby43 wrote:

With the rate at which Merc has developed their FW this year, I think you're probably spot on about further optimization there. Merc's bargeboard refinement in Spain yielded them 3 tenths alone (according to the engineers), and the bargeboards are a ripe area of development this year, so I'm guessing we could see some new furniture in that area.
It would be very interesting to see which tweaks they would do there. The bargeboard area on the Mercedes already looks like it’s from Star Wars. Pretty amazing that there still are tenths to squeeze out from there.

What’s frustrating as a fan from another team is that Mercedes seems to be developing on another level. It’s like they have tools others don’t have. And every time they put something on the car, the question is not wether it will work, the question is when it will work (after setup refinements).

zibby43

wesley123 wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 08:50
zibby43 wrote:

I wouldn't call the sidepods conventional per se. They do exactly the same thing as the other variants do; They all create more area between the sidepod intake and aero devices. The advantage for the merc here is that they don't have to move the sidepod further back and this has probably helped them in the aggressive profiling of the sidepod and appendages.

The pickup points and small nose help creating an unobstructed area towards the bargeboards.
I was just referring specifically to the traditional side pod location, as picture on the left of this dagram.

The way Merc has shrunk their side pod inward this year has exposed some of the crash structure.

roon

Track temps, gradient above it... Maybe a +100mm higher inlet benefits just slightly from cooler inlet temperatures.