Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

digitalrurouni wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 05:03
Great images thanks for sharing them.

Very interesting about the rear wing on the Mercedes. I am surprised that they didn't opt for a slightly less draggier option. I guess in their simulator work overall they found that if they have the downforce for the first sector the other sectors being slightly compromised will still make up for the speed loss down the straights?
Yep, plus running a bit more wing will help with tire life during the race on a circuit where the rears take quite a beating.

Merc trialed a very skinny, trimmed out RW in Baku, but ended up reverting to a higher-downforce spec similar to what they had on for scrutineering in Montreal today.

bill shoe

dans79 wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 19:23
Scarabs on the front suspension!
No.

"Scarabs" is the plural form of "Scarab" which was an American V8 racecar series from the 50's and 60's. Kind of like the later Shelby Cobra, but with actual racing success instead of PR fluff-

Usual educational link, etc.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarab_(constructor)

"Scarbs" is the name of a Formula 1 journalist who attends F1 races and has a reputation for understanding technical issues rather than making things up-

Not at all curvaceous like the car, but you can't have everything. He does have a certain reputation for legitimacy, much like the original car.

bill shoe

aaaa

zibby43

(With better lighting, in the area I initially was curious about, the side pod bodywork does indeed look unchanged from Barcelona)

AMuS
Last edited by zibby43 on 07 Jun 2019, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 05:11

Yep, plus running a bit more wing will help with tire life during the race on a circuit where the rears take quite a beating.

Merc trialed a very skinny, trimmed out RW in Baku, but ended up reverting to a higher-downforce spec similar to what they had on for scrutineering in Montreal today.
Yes and for braking, and I think the front needs a minimum amount of downforce for the tyres and they must have to balance that. Plus in qualy they have DRS of course

SiLo

Better to be quicker for longer on Sunday, so making sure the tyres last and are in the window is important.
Felipe Baby!

Jozsusz

zibby43 wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 08:34

(With better lighting, in the area I initially was curious about, the side pod bodywork does indeed look unchanged from Barcelona)
Told you :)

OO7
OO7

zibby43 wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 21:11
Blaze1 wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 20:49
mkay wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 20:02

It's in your head, mate. Neither the team nor the journos have reported any changes in sidepods, and cars have been going through scrutineering...
I would also be very strange to update the sidepods and engine cover in Barcelona and then do the same again only a couple of races later.
I think you were the only one to notice the side pod change in shape in Barcelona (that I can remember).

Fabrega did not report on any bodywork changes in that area. It was impossible for me to tell the difference until you drew those lines in, and even then, it's incredibly subtle.

Good spot on that one.
Glad it was helpful zibby. :)

bosyber

Are those three vanes on the floor between the 1st 'slats' on the side of it, and the sidepod new for this race, or did they appear before?

Edit: never mind, seems they have been there since Spain.

erudite450

GPR -A wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 04:25
Comparison with RedBull and Ferrari.

Mercedes seems to have bigger main plane and aggressive AoA for upper flap. Unlike RB, they are not willing to sacrifice first sector of Giles de Villeneuve, which means they are confident of the grunt they have to overcome the drag on straights. Ferrari experimenting two rear wings.

RB doesn't have t wing, which Merc and Ferrari has!

https://i.imgur.com/ejBMbqS.jpg

https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/R ... 598697.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8YsCBCX4AA ... ame=medium
Redbull are always too melodramatic. "See...we are running less downforce than the others...Mercedes and Ferrari have an "unfair" PU advantage...bla bla bla"

mkay

GPR -A wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 04:25
Comparison with RedBull and Ferrari.

Mercedes seems to have bigger main plane and aggressive AoA for upper flap. Unlike RB, they are not willing to sacrifice first sector of Giles de Villeneuve, which means they are confident of the grunt they have to overcome the drag on straights. Ferrari experimenting two rear wings.

RB doesn't have t wing, which Merc and Ferrari has!

https://i.imgur.com/ejBMbqS.jpg

https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/R ... 598697.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8YsCBCX4AA ... ame=medium
Thanks for the photos. Seems like Merc's RW main plane is flatter (i.e., very low AoA) than Ferrari's and RB's? What would be the effect on downforce/drag?

Morteza

Mercedes F1 rear suspension secret revealed

As the drawing shows, Mercedes has introduced a form of multi-link suspension that follows a similar concept to the front suspension design that Red Bull has introduced.

Piola's illustration depicts the Mercedes suspension from underneath. At (1), there is the front leg of the lower wishbone, at (2) is the front leg of the top wishbone, with the attachment covered by the front rocker linkage, and at (3) is the pullrod.

But the most interesting points are at the rear, where at (4) the wishbone covering also extends to the driveshaft. The main body of the wishbone element is at (5), and the carbon fibre 'body' features a slot gap as it tends further outboard to work the airflow harder at this point.

The design not only helps deliver mechanical gains to better manage rear tyre temperatures – something Mercedes has really got on top of this year – but also brings aerodynamic benefits.

The suspension arms are designed in such a way that they generate a flow that is better aimed for optimising the rear diffuser performance, with an increase in load that does not increase drag.

According to the regulations, only six suspension members may be used per wheel upright - with a traditional wishbone counting as two. Hence, Mercedes appears to have cleverly employed the trackrod - which retains the horizontal position of the rear wheel and controls toe in/toe out - into the rear wishbone geometry.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

atanatizante

Geoff Willis about W10`s suspension and Daimler support:
https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/merced ... a-one-car/
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

Maybe this photo angle could bring light about the supposed sidepode change for Montreal:

Jesus

atanatizante

Jesus