Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Drica

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Did anyone notice some puffs of smoke from Valtteri's car during the formation lap? I believe i saw that a couple of times so far in the season, but not limited to VB. And i am pretty sure that it wasn't a lock up or a caliper on fire

zibby43

Drica wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 23:10
Did anyone notice some puffs of smoke from Valtteri's car during the formation lap? I believe i saw that a couple of times so far in the season, but not limited to VB. And i am pretty sure that it wasn't a lock up or a caliper on fire
If it was coming from the area around the rear crash structure, it is likely crankcase oil being vented via the breather tube. Last year, the FIA clamped down on fluids being vented into the intake manifold.

It was very noticeable on the Ferrari last year.

zibby43

I have a question: Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that Merc's straightline speed (relative to Ferrari) improved noticeably this weekend (particularly in Q3)?

If so, was this a result of Merc perhaps turning down the Spec 2 PUs in Canada due to concerns over Stroll's ICE failure (despite Toto's claims they wouldn't do that) or Ferrari's decision to move toward more downforce?

In the speed trap numbers, Hamilton was fairly close to VET, but we just didn't see Ferrari taking huge chunks out of the Mercs in S2.

F1Krof

zibby43 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 00:08
I have a question: Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that Merc's straightline speed (relative to Ferrari) improved noticeably this weekend (particularly in Q3)?

If so, was this a result of Merc perhaps turning down the Spec 2 PUs in Canada due to concerns over Stroll's ICE failure (despite Toto's claims they wouldn't do that) or Ferrari's decision to move toward more downforce?

In the speed trap numbers, Hamilton was fairly close to VET, but we just didn't see Ferrari taking huge chunks out of the Mercs in S2.
Yes, I've noticed that. However I think it was more due to Ferrari putting more wing to cope with the corners rather than Merc turning it up.
Wroom wroom

zibby43

F1Krof wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 00:52
zibby43 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 00:08

Yes, I've noticed that. However I think it was more due to Ferrari putting more wing to cope with the corners rather than Merc turning it up.
Glad I wasn't the only one. Hasn't been much discussion about it thus far.

Drica

zibby43 wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 23:58
Drica wrote:
If it was coming from the area around the rear crash structure, it is likely crankcase oil being vented via the breather tube. Last year, the FIA clamped down on fluids being vented into the intake manifold.

https://i.redd.it/e0wykr9likj01.jpg
Yeah, could be, but still, take a look at this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7vm6TEBrZ2v3oP3eA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3yMTBYq56jF7wNAa9

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 05:19

Glad I wasn't the only one. Hasn't been much discussion about it thus far.
I must admit i didn't notice but i was expecting mercedes to respond to the top speed issue, for one thing with the monster track temperatures meaning they could trim out the the front wing and still have the tyres in the window

It'll be hot in Austria too apparently so it'll be similar there perhaps

wesley123

zibby43 wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 23:58
Drica wrote:

https://i.redd.it/e0wykr9likj01.jpg
The big difference being that On the Ferrari it was on startup/exiting the pits. While here it is half a lap after. Any excess oil or so would most likely already have burned much longer ago.

The team has done quite a few checks the past few races. For example previous race they were looking at the front suspension/braking systems for quite a while. Also gearboxes being checked more rigorously from what I understood.

So far, this only has happened this race weekend.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

pb6797

Pretty sure I saw a puff of smoke on the formation lap in Canada too

F1Krof

pb6797 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 19:59
Pretty sure I saw a puff of smoke on the formation lap in Canada too
+1
Wroom wroom

thedutchguy

French GP, Friday morning:

roon

That central front suspension area looks very clean, like their engine bay. Organized, easy to look at. Easy to work on. No surprise they can change out something like the throttle hydraulics with relative ease.

63l8qrrfy6

roon wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 17:37
That central front suspension area looks very clean, like their engine bay. Organized, easy to look at. Easy to work on. No surprise they can change out something like the throttle hydraulics with relative ease.
Their throttle hydraulic actuators are in the engine vee, not the front of the car.
They still had to remove the plenums and swap the entire PU hydraulic system in Canada.

Not an easy job at all!

roon

Mudflap wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 20:38
roon wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 17:37
Their throttle hydraulic actuators are in the engine vee, not the front of the car.
They still had to remove the plenums and swap the entire PU hydraulic system in Canada.

Not an easy job at all!
Read: relative. Which is to say, the Merc unit has always looked more organized than the other three, less of a rats nest. Looks easier to work on.

I'm not sure about the throttle bodies. I haven't seen anything in photos that resemble throttle plates where you would normally expect them. The Renault engine does, by contrast. But the Merc unit looks like plain runners til the block. They may be higher upstream at the VLM area. The compressor inlet has something along the lines of hydro operated stators. I don't know if it qualifies as a throttle though. Maybe your sources can confirm?

63l8qrrfy6

The throttles are in the usual place, just upstream of the inlet ports. In the picture you're showing the plenum runners would go straight into the throttle body.

I've seen a different shot where it was much clearer.

Compressor inlet vanes are for part load efficiency, not for throttling.