Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pyrone89

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Sky says 4 tenths advantage while running detuned engine and less efficient max cooling bodywork. Expect an advantage close to a second when running their normal engine modes and more efficient bodywork :oops:
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

NathanOlder

[-o<

Hope your right 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

De Jokke

I don't think that's correct. Ted Kravitz (sky) said that 30 minutes into FP2,

Ted on Mercedes' pace
"Mercedes quickest by four tenths... and what's particularly impressive is that this is the bigger, and supposedly slower bodywork.

"This is the 'we've got to cool the car down' bodywork they've got on today, which they've got to run because it is absolutely roasting hot. That is slower, the team confirmed that because it's bigger and less aerodynamically efficient.

"So not only have they got the pace, but also the improvements they've made in other areas of the car have made up for the deficit they are giving away by having bigger bodywork to improve the car."

afterwards Ferrari went faster.
If the heat doesn't go away, merc is toast, just like Hamilton thought.
I hope I'm wrong but for now they don't have any pace advantage (in this heat) as they cannot run the highest engine modes and the slimmer bodywork.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

De Jokke

Di resta:

"It's the first and middle sector where the Ferrari is getting the job done. Good in high-speed corners and seemingly very efficient on the straights.

"Mercedes claw back in the last sector, but not enough."

Pyrone89

De Jokke wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 16:37
I don't think that's correct. Ted Kravitz (sky) said that 30 minutes into FP2,

Ted on Mercedes' pace
"Mercedes quickest by four tenths... and what's particularly impressive is that this is the bigger, and supposedly slower bodywork.

"This is the 'we've got to cool the car down' bodywork they've got on today, which they've got to run because it is absolutely roasting hot. That is slower, the team confirmed that because it's bigger and less aerodynamically efficient.

"So not only have they got the pace, but also the improvements they've made in other areas of the car have made up for the deficit they are giving away by having bigger bodywork to improve the car."

afterwards Ferrari went faster.
If the heat doesn't go away, merc is toast, just like Hamilton thought.
I hope I'm wrong but for now they don't have any pace advantage (in this heat) as they cannot run the highest engine modes and the slimmer bodywork.
But the heat IS going away starting this evening.
Ps: someone has made a sport out of rating every post I make as negative. Pretty childish

De Jokke

Let's hope mate, I would like to see merc trashing the competition on home soil.

digitalrurouni

So the bodywork we are seeing today is NOT going to be the bodywork we will see tomorrow?

erudite450

digitalrurouni wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 21:08
So the bodywork we are seeing today is NOT going to be the bodywork we will see tomorrow?
It remains to be seen what they decide to do. Since the ambient would be much cooler tomorrow and on Sunday, they might revert back to the tighter bodywork.

aral

Another reminder......Please restrict your comments to the actual car. Comments about practice etc belong in the GP thread.

zibby43

Bottas' opinion of the new cooling package

"We’ve made some progress on our cooling; we would have struggled massively to run here with the package we had in Austria, but with the new package we could actually complete some good long runs."

Andrew Shovlin on the evaluation of new parts and pecking order in the heat

"We were seeing over 39°C in the second session which was pretty hard on the tyres and the car, not to mention the drivers and the team in the garage. We had quite a few new bits on the car, some for performance and some to improve the cooling. So far, it all seems to be in the right direction but there is so much overheating on the tyres today that it is hard to know where we stand"

"In terms of pace, some runs were a bit better than others but our overall feeling is that in these temperatures, we’re probably sitting a little bit behind Ferrari. We’ve got some useful learning from the sessions today and it’s been a good test of the car, but we’re expecting a big drop in temperature for the remainder of the weekend. With the cooler temperatures there is a good chance of rain which should keep things interesting."

De Jokke

Hmm, this doesn't seem good at all. Looks like we went backwards... :cry:
I hope those bright minds at Brackley can figure it out quickly. Ferrari (and rbr) likely to spoil the party unless a magical swing turns things upside down.

Pyrone89

De Jokke wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 13:12
Hmm, this doesn't seem good at all. Looks like we went backwards... :cry:
I hope those bright minds at Brackley can figure it out quickly. Ferrari (and rbr) likely to spoil the party unless a magical swing turns things upside down.
This has happened before, with Merc suddenly being best again in Q3. So dont worry. Especially if it rains the W10 is the best due to the superior chassis.

De Jokke

Yes but this time they really seem to struggle.
They are even slower than the competition with the slimmer bodywork on. And the thing really surprising me: they are losing time in the final sector!!!
And in the rain, I think the RBR has better pace around the H-ring atm than the merc. (Fer in the wet not too sure)

Pyrone89

De Jokke wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 13:20
Yes but this time they really seem to struggle.
They are even slower than the competition with the slimmer bodywork.
And in the rain, I think the RBR has better pace around the H-ring atm than the merc. (Fer in the wet not too sure)
Nah mark my words. All part of Toto’s and Ham’s show ‘it was a really hard job, thanks everyone for working so hard, best crowd ever’ :lol: :mrgreen:

De Jokke

Just got this info from their twitter:
"Don’t have a definitive answer on the lack of pace in P3. Be pushing to be closer for Quali"

So they are in trouble :roll: What a shame, just as it's their 200th race and celebrating 125 years of mosport
Last edited by De Jokke on 27 Jul 2019, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.