Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Morteza wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 19:30
zibby43 wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 18:52
All the upgrades are still on. Good sign.
Not the new front wing though. It's the older spec, but maybe we see it tomorrow
I think in the end they decided to go with the new wings for qualifying.

zibby43

I think that the limited running in practice the past few weekends has hampered Merc's ability to fine-tune their massive update, particularly when it comes to qualifying. Which makes sense. It took almost the entirety of the second week of Barcelona testing (that's a lot of running) for Merc to optimize the "B-spec" car.

Consequently, I think Merc have erred on the side of caution when setting up the car, skewing the balance toward race pace and tire life. Of course, the development race will continue, but after the summer break, I expect that Merc will begin to claw all of the expected gains out of the added downforce.

Matthew Somerfield (@SomersF1) does a good job at explaining how massive the update was - from font to back (also explains the reasoning behind each change). Great podcast for those that may have missed it.

Pyrone89

zibby43 wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 22:21
I think that the limited running in practice the past few weekends has hampered Merc's ability to fine-tune their massive update, particularly when it comes to qualifying. Which makes sense. It took almost the entirety of the second week of Barcelona testing (that's a lot of running) for Merc to optimize the "B-spec" car.

Consequently, I think Merc have erred on the side of caution when setting up the car, skewing the balance toward race pace and tire life. Of course, the development race will continue, but after the summer break, I expect that Merc will begin to claw all of the expected gains out of the added downforce.

Matthew Somerfield (@SomersF1) does a good job at explaining how massive the update was - from font to back (also explains the reasoning behind each change). Great podcast for those that may have missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9Up2oRN2o
Not gonna lie, if they manage to get even more pace F1 is in trouble. This car has 10 out of 12 victories so far making it the most succesful car in 31 years (McLaren 1988)
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

zibby43

Pyrone89 wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 23:06
zibby43 wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 22:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9Up2oRN2o
Not gonna lie, if they manage to get even more pace F1 is in trouble. This car has 10 out of 12 victories so far making it the most succesful car in 31 years (McLaren 1988)
They definitely need to unlock the upgrade's potential in qualifying trim to keep up with Verstappen's Red Bull. And for Spa and Monza, I'm curious to see if Merc will finally run their skinny, low-downforce rear wing that featured serrations on the trailing edge of the maineplane. That RW was only tested in Baku and never appeared in qualifying.

On a side note, the '16 W07 was more successful. 11 of 12 wins to start the season (only loss was the Spanish GP, where Rosberg and Hamilton collided). The W07 went on to win 19 of the 21 races that season. The only other loss was Malaysia, where Hamilton retired from the lead. That car was truly dominant. But, this second part of the discussion belongs in the team thread.

On an on-topic note . . . Red Bull engineers calculated that Merc were 0.3s/lap faster than Red Bull in the race. That's pretty amazing on a circuit like the Hungaroring.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... garn-2019/

wesley123

zibby43 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 04:11
On an on-topic note . . . Red Bull engineers calculated that Merc were 0.3s/lap faster than Red Bull in the race. That's pretty amazing on a circuit like the Hungaroring.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... garn-2019/
They definitely seemed to be much quicker than the .3s named. The ease in which Hamilton closed the 6 second gap was really surprising.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

De Jokke

Next two races will be damage limitation, I'm afraid as we lack power in a straight line
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Pyrone89

De Jokke wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 14:54
Next two races will be damage limitation, I'm afraid as we lack power in a straight line
Monza yes, but Spa also has a lot of corners so I expect the W10 to still win but Ferrari is going to be close. Red Bull will be a distant 3rd in both races so Bottas can add some breathing space for himself in the WDC.

De Jokke

rbr distant 3rd, don't think so!

Bill

Why should Redbull be third in spa it's nonsense they won 2 of last power demanding tracks and ahead of Ferrari in pace . Spa will be a 3 way slog fest

De Jokke

Honestly, I'm expecting merc to be 3rd fastest at spa and Monza due to high drag and too small engine improvements compared to the other 2 teams...

zibby43

De Jokke wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 14:54
You never know. Merc will be introducing Spec 3 sometime after the summer break, and there’s no doubt they’ve worked on packages to improve efficiency. Red Bull will also be taking engine penalties at Spa or Monza.

This is more of a discussion for the team thread though.

turbof1

Gents, PU stuff goes into the PU topic!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23688

Please continue there. I will also move all the PU related posts to there.

And please, don't attack eachother over information given. You can debate if certain numbers are realistic or not, but don't shoot the messenger either.
#AeroFrodo

NL_Fer

That W10 should be fine in Spa. Ferrari is faster on the straigths, but after Kemmel it is all 250-300kph corners, W10 best speed-range.

Pyrone89

NL_Fer wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 19:47
That W10 should be fine in Spa. Ferrari is faster on the straigths, but after Kemmel it is all 250-300kph corners, W10 best speed-range.
I think a little slower than that even, especially directly after the straight.