Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
De Jokke

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

What surprises me is that the 'rake' thing was way blown out of proportion, it seems.
Is was the gamechanger for 2019 and all teams stayed to their low (merc) or high (fer, rbr) rake concept...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

roon
roon

zibby43 wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:33
A pretty fantastic overhead shot of the W10...
Cropped, lightened.

Last edited by roon on 18 Feb 2019, 00:18, edited 2 times in total.

zibby43
zibby43

roon wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 23:54
zibby43 wrote:
Cropped, lightened.

https://i.imgur.com/kpQnQgM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3yeovXu.jpg
Thanks, roon! This shot really emphasizes the outstanding job Merc did with tightening up and narrowing those sidepods, slimming down the engine cover, and opening up real estate on the floor.

roon
roon

zibby43 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 00:15
roon wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 23:54
zibby43 wrote:
Cropped, lightened.

https://i.imgur.com/kpQnQgM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3yeovXu.jpg
Thanks, roon! This shot really emphasizes the outstanding job Merc did with tightening up and narrowing those sidepods, slimming down the engine cover, and opening up real estate on the floor.
The forward region of the sidepods seems quite compact. Maybe this is down to reshaping of the sidepods. The W09 had wider sidepods, but they also had a large undercut. The W10 seems to sacrifice some of the undercut for a narrower shoulder. Perhaps the total interior volume works out to be about the same for both approaches. The rear section of the sidepods for both cars seems similarly narrow.

dans79

It looks like the floor has a bulge on it where the "EQ Power+" logo sits. The floor next to the inside of the rears also looks interesting with circular arcs cut in it.
197 104 103 7

roon
roon

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 23:35
Bump steer and wheel scrub would be crazy if it were a double joint.

One of things i focused on doing when i was doing my chassis design on this very site (if u can find that thread) was trying to keep the bump steer to a minimum for good balance over curbs and such. Also to reduce the inverse effwct when you steer the car and get a massive ride height change.

With the base of the push rod joined to a big swinging arm off the hub it is hard to see how they avoid massive bump steer unless they reeeally wanted the effect of lowering the ride height when the car is steered either way.

The other side of the argument that it is an aero fairing could aslo be the case. But the bulb looks eerily like a shroud for a rod end bearing.
It looks like the pivot is rearward and inboard of the kingpin axis.

That is, if you were to look down the left-side kingpin axis from above, the pushrod pivot would be at about 4:30, and distanced perhaps 60-80mm from the axis. Just eyeballing it from the photo. This should mean suspension compression for the inside wheel when turning, and extension for the outside wheel. Net effect would be a car that leans slightly into turns.

The forces trying to buckle the unaligned pushrod and mounting arm would be carried by the steering arms. Bump steer could be mitigated with a worm drive steering rack.

OO7
OO7

Giando wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:04
Blaze1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 16:57
Okay, I see what you mean. I guess we'll have to wait until Monday for some good overhead shots.
Check this out.

To me, the push rod arm link to the hub is even further backwards compared to the upper wishbone pivot,
so it has to be external to the wheel rim...

http://i65.tinypic.com/az7ygz.jpg
I see what you mean now Giando, good spot! =D>

So when you say "the push rod arm link to the hub is even further backwards compared to the upper wishbone pivot," you mean further inwards, that is to say closer to the monocoque.

EDIT:
I've just seen Roon's post above and can see it's both inboard and rearwards.

OO7
OO7

I'm not sure if I should post this in the Power Unit thread, but if you watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx1Q4ru03hI&t=1m32s it appears that the Mercedes PU may be 'smoking' around the rear crash structure like the Ferrari was last year. It's a short clip, but the smoke seems to be pretty consistent.

PlatinumZealot

roon wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 01:42

It looks like the pivot is rearward and inboard of the kingpin axis.

https://i.imgur.com/vwsesli.jpg

That is, if you were to look down the left-side kingpin axis from above, the pushrod pivot would be at about 4:30, and distanced perhaps 60-80mm from the axis. Just eyeballing it from the photo. This should mean suspension compression for the inside wheel when turning, and extension for the outside wheel. Net effect would be a car that leans slightly into turns.

The forces trying to buckle the unaligned pushrod and mounting arm would be carried by the steering arms. Bump steer could be mitigated with a worm drive steering rack.
That depends on how straight the pushrod is in plan view in the neutral position too whether u get the car leaning in or even diving.

Anyway.. Also another thing to note is that compressing the suspenion takes work! More strain on the driver and there is less spring compression available for suspension dynamics.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM
PhillipM

You're just changing preloads so that's not difficult to work into your travel dynamics, in fact you can make it favorible if you want. Steering loads aren't an issue, F1 power steering systems these days are more than powerful enough to cope with change from pushrod loading - it's no different to castor effect after all.

This is not something new that they need to work out, teams have been doing it for years, it just looks like Merc have pushed it to an extreme with their inboard upper wishbone pivot making it look like a bigger change than it is.

OO7
OO7

Looks like Renault may be doing the same with the pushrod wheel pivot:

ScrewCaptain27

Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

LM10
LM10

OO7
OO7

Heat shield I think.

simieski
simieski

Looks as if they have a temp or other kind of sensor in that area as indicated by the cables speed taped to the side of the crash structure.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.