Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient
Coefficient

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

CriXus wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:27
GPR -A wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:18
So, if this was the aerodynamic iteration that went into production in early January, then we can expect either a fully refined iteration of the same OR more upgrades by Barcelona.
Or this is the Barcelona update, but rushed out, because of the result of the first test.
Post concept validation muffins are out of the oven.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

F1Fan2018
F1Fan2018

CriXus wrote:
GPR -A wrote:
So, if this was the aerodynamic iteration that went into production in early January, then we can expect either a fully refined iteration of the same OR more upgrades by Barcelona.
Or this is the Barcelona update, but rushed out, because of the result of the first test.
I really dont think you can rush all of this over a few days as others have said it takes weeks for parts to be made, this was the plan all along, maybe 1 or 2 parts have been decided that they need right now but not all of the update they have brought its clearly been planned.

GPR-A

CriXus wrote:
GPR -A wrote:
Barcelona is another 2 and half months away! If you have not already read a post that I posted a few days back, please read it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27911&p=816062&hil ... es#p816062

Link -> How many Mercedes experiments: the W10 simulates the rear steering wheels
Franco Nugnes, 23rd February 2019, 12:25 wrote:The silver arrow in the first test session in Barcelona tried the basic set-up: the front was chosen for the push rod strut, while behind it worked on four steering wheels and the height from the ground. The real Mercedes will appear next week.
Last edited by GPR-A on 26 Feb 2019, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

That's not exactly how it works.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dren

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:35
That's not exactly how it works.
Looks like it curves outward with the high pressure spilling over the top to the lower pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Honda!

dren

The leading upper edge of the side pod opening has two vanes under the horizontal 'wing'. The tie rod is now longer to combine with the lower wish bone arms.
Honda!

Giblet
Giblet

KnottyBwoy wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:14
Mr.G wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 13:59
pantherxxx wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 13:53
What's the point of building a B spec car? I think it means that they had massive problems with their A spec, so they had to bring these rushed out updates. Reminds me of Mclaren last year.
My personal opinion is that they were planing to go with the first concept an in parallel prepare this one and test it during the season. However, during the first week of testing they decided that they need to check it rather sooner than later and bring it now...
I smell fear.
This is the kind of technical analysis I come here. What you smell.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Vanja #66

dren wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:37
Looks like it curves outward with the high pressure spilling over the top to the lower pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That part is not wrong, but that's also not everything to it. Firstly, there are lots of streamlines in that zone, it's not a single one that is flowing trough multiple vortex generators. Those vertical elements are used to enhance the flow turning outboard, consequently decreasing the velocity, increasing pressure and therefore increasing the floor edge vortex. Also, tips of those vertical elements are shaped in a way that disperses the pressure difference creating the vortex.

So, all in all, those elements are used to enhance the floor edge vortex. Vortices created above the floor are minimized, as having low pressure vortex core on an upper surface is counter productive for enhancing downforce of the car.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

w1Y
w1Y

I think people are forgetting that Alison said the goodies were coming this week. This was planned. A decision at some point was made to have extra days in the wind tunnel. Maybe it just wasn't ready though.

The one question I have is why have a completely different end plate of the front wing. Was that just to throw some misdirection out?

Morteza

Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dren

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:54
dren wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:37
That part is not wrong, but that's also not everything to it. Firstly, there are lots of streamlines in that zone, it's not a single one that is flowing trough multiple vortex generators. Those vertical elements are used to enhance the flow turning outboard, consequently decreasing the velocity, increasing pressure and therefore increasing the floor edge vortex. Also, tips of those vertical elements are shaped in a way that disperses the pressure difference creating the vortex.

So, all in all, those elements are used to enhance the floor edge vortex. Vortices created above the floor are minimized, as having low pressure vortex core on an upper surface is counter productive for enhancing downforce of the car.
So it's rotating around the edge of the floor, not above and carried out by the slots. Thanks!
Honda!

Vanja #66

Yup. Slots that teams are adding in this zone (free 100mm for designer, courtesy of FIA not sealing this area in 2016-2017 rules transition) are used to enhance this floor vortex and create a sort of side skirt. I was very skeptical about this at first, as diffuser wants to suck the air from sides as well. However, that air is low quality, due to front wheel wake. Therefore, teams want to secure underfloor flow from wheel turbulence in order to maximize diffuser performance.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

Morteza

AMuS reports this is new

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dren

Nice shot of the new barge board updates.
Honda!

F1Krof

Flow separation gone :P

Wroom wroom