Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
matt_s
matt_s

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Coefficient wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 18:41
Yeah, at this rate next it'll just have an empty floor with Lewis' lunch box fastened to it.
I've heard it said that Lewis does some pretty balls-out quali laps, but having somewhere specific on the floor to strap his "lunch box" is a new one on me.

:shock:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Nobody, not even Mercedes or Ferrari can build a B spec car in a long weekend. This package was in the pipeline for weeks/months. This wasn't a knee jerk response to the media saying "Mercedes are behind Ferrari".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

w1Y
w1Y

But your also ignoring the comments from Alison early last week who said the goodies were coming this week. You dont just manufacture a spec be in 3 days.

It just seems they werent ready

PhillipM
PhillipM

pantherxxx wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 19:05
My assumption was based on the fact that last year the same thing happened with Mclaren in the winter tests. They built a spec A chassis which wasn't fast enough, and soon the B spec came into the picture.
No, they didn't, not at all, which is why he's laughing.

Mr.G

w1Y wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 19:10
But your also ignoring the comments from Alison early last week who said the goodies were coming this week. You dont just manufacture a spec be in 3 days.

It just seems they werent ready
Read his post again, we all know this is not doable in weekend time, he posted in January...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

GPR-A

Coefficient wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 18:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 18:26
Wynters wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 18:08
Autosport commentary on the update package

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHJ07PQJRFM
5 minutes of my life I won't get back. That video is a waste of time, to be honest. You'll get more from reading posts on here.

Not having a go at you, by the way, just the Autosport stuff these days is pretty hand-wavy guff mostly.
There is an interesting nugget in that video where they state that there are in the region of 1500 components in the update which I think settles the debate as to whether this was planned or panic driven.
Bunch of jokers.

"They have looked at all of the other teams and have come with up that out wash end plate".
Seriously? How can these fools have a job like that?

godlameroso

week 1 was televised, week 2 is not. Anyway it looks like they put the Mercedes chassis in a vacuum sealer.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

Upwash strakes on the RW end plates:

They weren't present initially on the "launch" (for lack of a better word) spec car, and then showed up later in the week.

They're retained on this new spec.

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1100370985293922305

PhillipM
PhillipM

Looks like they've used the LED mounts to box in the strakes too?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The strakes were there previously:

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Unc1eM0nty

pantherxxx wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 19:05
You don't support your opinion with arguments. My assumption was based on the fact that last year the same thing happened with Mclaren. They built a spec A chassis which wasn't fast enough, and soon the B spec came into the picture. This may mean that development has gone in the wrong direction, which they could have noticed in January. Of course, AMUS says that it's just a basic package which was necessary for further development, but I'm still skeptical. I'm not buying the "Mercedes needed more time in the wind tunnel" story. And before you say it is just speculation, the truth is that everything is just speculation here.
ALL the cars you see in Melbourne will look different to those used at testing, it's the same for every team every year !

Yes Mercedes have taken it to the extreme this year but hey, that's what they do.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 21:21
The strakes were there previously:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzSmWhcX4AURoO6.jpg
Oh I know. I mentioned that they were present in the first week of testing. They just disappeared from the RW at various times (looking at some of the photos from the first week).

zibby43
zibby43

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 15:58
Slots in an aerofoil work a number of ways, one of which is to introduce a fresh boundary layer - so after the slot the air flow is laminar, the pressure gradients on such high camber aerofoils is so extreme (the rear of the flap is almost vertical) that the air then transitions back to turbulence and even separates toward the trailing edge. The separation is not a bad thing necessarily and wont mean any loss of downforce, it just indicates that it is being worked to the absolute limit.

A leading edge separation on the other hand would be catastrophic.
I tend to be in agreement with your assessment. Great explanation, btw.

The flow on the critical area on the underside of the wing looks to be fine, honestly.

Peter1919
Peter1919

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 15:55
As has been said already these parts must have been many weeks if not months in the making.

It's the changes to the rear of the sidepod that strikes me most though, this must have cased an awfull lot of work, all the plumbing and internals would need to be re-routed and re-positioned to fit this new profile, that's tons of work right there.
Or they already planned this change and had the internals laid out correctly for this but just went with a more conservative cooling solution for the first week of testing

Tomtom851
Tomtom851

Why did they show a camouflage image before the tests? I'm going to stay confident.