Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

CE would make sense as Vettel is on his second one since Bahrain I think. And the first one isn't usable. I would change all three parts to have some margin.

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 20:46
CE would make sense as Vettel is on his second one since Bahrain I think. And the first one isn't usable. I would change all three parts to have some margin.
Which 3? I was just thinking, Ferrari will probably want to avoid a situation in which they automatically trigger a penalty when they introduce their Spec 3 ICE/PU components at Spa/Monza (circuits they're expected to do well at).

MtthsMlw

zibby43 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 21:11
MtthsMlw wrote:
Which 3? I was just thinking, Ferrari will probably want to avoid a situation in which they automatically trigger a penalty when they introduce their Spec 3 ICE/PU components at Spa/Monza (circuits they're expected to do well at).
MGU-K, CE and ES only 2 per season allowed and he is on the limit already.

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 21:15
zibby43 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 21:11
MtthsMlw wrote:
MGU-K, CE and ES only 2 per season allowed and he is on the limit already.
Gotcha. Agreed on replacing those. Won't affect the Spec 3 introduction whatsoever.

jumpingfish

They did it yesterday.

MtthsMlw

jumpingfish wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 21:29
https://cdn.f1ne.ws/userfiles/fia/138670.jpg

They did it yesterday.
They could do that again, FIA doesn't like that I imagine but it's allowed.

amr
amr

They can also change the gearbox with a fresh one. I don't know how many GPs the current one has. I know they have to last 6.

MtthsMlw

amr wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 22:11
They can also change the gearbox with a fresh one. I don't know how many GPs the current one has. I know they have to last 6.
Vettel's does its 5th event, so a change would result in a penalty.

Big Tea

amr wrote:
Can you not change the box 'free' anyway if you do not finish? He could have dropped out last race if they needed one as he was nowhere close to points.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

MtthsMlw

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 22:40
amr wrote:
Can you not change the box 'free' anyway if you do not finish? He could have dropped out last race if they needed one as he was nowhere close to points.
You could but a gearbox is not necessarily a part with which it's hard to do 6 races.

Pyrone89

Someone on Autosport had a theory which might make sense. Except for Austria, Mercedes is perhaps driving well within their limits and therefor nothimg breaks. The other teams however need to go to the edge everytime leading to this breaking of stuff. If Ferrari had the same level of dominance the Merc had they maybe could also run at 95% instead of 100% every time.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Pyrone89

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 21:36
jumpingfish wrote:

They did it yesterday.
Then they lose the units added to the pool yesterday. After 1 team took like 3 engines in one weekend to stockpile they changed the rule if you exceed the limit of PU elements twice in a weekend for the same component. You are then only allowed to use the last introduced one from then on.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

marvin78
marvin78

Pyrone89 wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 00:43
Someone on Autosport had a theory which might make sense. Except for Austria, Mercedes is perhaps driving well within their limits and therefor nothimg breaks. The other teams however need to go to the edge everytime leading to this breaking of stuff. If Ferrari had the same level of dominance the Merc had they maybe could also run at 95% instead of 100% every time.
I say that for years. It's obvious. All these talks about Ferrari have the dominant PU are surely BS. The Mercedes car is the dominant one but in another way. It has so much more in reserve that they don't need full power of all components all the time. They said that themselves a few times back in 2016. If you can cruise nearly every race, you can spare parts. And I don't think other teams had less problems in Austria, they just chose to go full power anyway. Mercedes did not. They are clever as hell and they can use they potential to the maximum. It's really scary.

This is my opinion. It's not based on enough facts to say, it must be true. But I see some logic in it.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Pyrone89 wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 00:43
Ferrari had new PU upgrades in Hockenheim and sure, if you are developing the engine and pushing to the limit (as everyone in F1 used to do all the time), you have a greater chance of problems. But this crap going on in Hockenheim doesn't seem like that.

Seems like some kind of preparation error, perhaps on both cars if not at least Vettel's.

The current team structure at Ferrari is still not right IMO. They've taken a step backwards relative to the Maurizio Arrivabene team.

MtthsMlw

Pyrone89 wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 00:45
MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 21:36
jumpingfish wrote:

They did it yesterday.
Then they lose the units added to the pool yesterday. After 1 team took like 3 engines in one weekend to stockpile they changed the rule if you exceed the limit of PU elements twice in a weekend for the same component. You are then only allowed to use the last introduced one from then on.
But so far they didn't exceed the limit. Is it different then?