Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
SiLo

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Post by SiLo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:48 am

Big Tea wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:27 am
Bill wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 am
Racing point and Mclaren has these cape so what s so magical about it
I think their secret weapon here was the suspension. Other cars looked as if they were jilting over some curbs while the Ferrari sailed serenely on with all rubber on the ground.
Apparently RB and Merc screwed up their sim setups and then their car setups with suspension, they went too hard. It seemed really noticeable in qualifying.
Felipe Baby!

santos

Post by santos » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:28 pm

SiLo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:48 am
Big Tea wrote:
Bill wrote:
I think their secret weapon here was the suspension. Other cars looked as if they were jilting over some curbs while the Ferrari sailed serenely on with all rubber on the ground.
Apparently RB and Merc screwed up their sim setups and then their car setups with suspension, they went too hard. It seemed really noticeable in qualifying.
Yeah, and i belive that the setup they used was more for qualifying. Getting the track position and control the race, was the strategy. I really doubt that they solved the problems they had just with this upgrade.

aral

Post by aral » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Bill wrote:
It is how it operates in conjunction with other aero devices, especially the outwash front wing.

LM10

Post by LM10 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:00 pm

santos wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:28 pm
SiLo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:48 am
Big Tea wrote:

Yeah, and i belive that the setup they used was more for qualifying. Getting the track position and control the race, was the strategy. I really doubt that they solved the problems they had just with this upgrade.
It's not "just" an upgrade. In addition, it was a significant number of changes

In today's F1, by pure understanding of setting the car up, you can already gain a big amount of time. Remember Mercedes at Singapore last year. There were no upgrades on the car and their explanation of how they made a performance jump was that they simply had an aha-experience and knew how to setup the car to be competitive at such twisty tracks and in slow speed corners. The result was that Mercedes, pretty unexpectedly, was the fastest car there and until this day they're still on the top of slow speed corner performance.

JordanMugen

Post by JordanMugen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:33 pm

LM10 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:00 pm
In today's F1, by pure understanding of setting the car up, you can already gain a big amount of time. Remember Mercedes at Singapore last year. There were no upgrades on the car and their explanation of how they made a performance jump was that they simply had an aha-experience and knew how to setup the car to be competitive at such twisty tracks and in slow speed corners.
Or to the contrary, F1 teams are usually so occupied with updates and upgrades, they fail to set their car up optimally -- even though optimal suspension setups are critical in most other series? :wtf:

zibby43

Post by zibby43 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11 pm

LM10 wrote:
There were no upgrades on the car and their explanation of how they made a performance jump was that they simply had an aha-experience and knew how to setup the car to be competitive at such twisty tracks and in slow speed corners. The result was that Mercedes, pretty unexpectedly, was the fastest car there and until this day they're still on the top of slow speed corner performance.
Mercedes introduced their new brake drums and special wheels last year in Singapore (the wheels that Ferrari later protested, but were deemed legal). It helped them manage tire temperatures, which is the key to turning a fast lap in Singapore.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/revea ... e/3179717/

LM10

Post by LM10 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:20 pm

zibby43 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11 pm
LM10 wrote:
There were no upgrades on the car and their explanation of how they made a performance jump was that they simply had an aha-experience and knew how to setup the car to be competitive at such twisty tracks and in slow speed corners. The result was that Mercedes, pretty unexpectedly, was the fastest car there and until this day they're still on the top of slow speed corner performance.
Mercedes introduced their new brake drums and special wheels last year in Singapore (the wheels that Ferrari later protested, but were deemed legal). It helped them manage tire temperatures, which is the key to turning a fast lap in Singapore.

The rims were already introduced in Belgium. Don't know about the brake drums, though.

You are right about the tire temperatures, but I don't think that their step forward regarding slow-medium speed corners were solely oming from these rims. It made them be significantly faster on race pace. Their tire management during race got better in a massive way.

Polite

Post by Polite » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 pm

LM10 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:20 pm
zibby43 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

The rims were already introduced in Belgium. Don't know about the brake drums, though.

You are right about the tire temperatures, but I don't think that their step forward regarding slow-medium speed corners were solely oming from these rims. It made them be significantly faster on race pace. Their tire management during race got better in a massive way.
In singapore 2018 Mercs introduced a new rear suspension system (multilink like) that was the base for the rear end of the 2019 too, i think.

For Ferrari 2019 Singapore upgrades: will they use em on every next gp or not? In singapore the sf90 was draggy infact Vettel didnt overtake Hamilton at lap 1..

LM10

Post by LM10 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Polite wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 pm
LM10 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

In singapore 2018 Mercs introduced a new rear suspension system (multilink like) that was the base for the rear end of the 2019 too, i think.

For Ferrari 2019 Singapore upgrades: will they use em on every next gp or not? In singapore the sf90 was draggy infact Vettel didnt overtake Hamilton at lap 1..
I'm pretty sure that the upgrades will be used at all other GP's as well since they worked.

Ferrari was again the fastest car on the straights in Singapore, if you check the maximum speeds. Overtaking a Mercedes on euqally fresh tyres and highest engine mode on the short straights in lap 1 in Singapore isn't one of the easiest things in the world.

Polite

Post by Polite » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:32 am

LM10 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:49 pm
Polite wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 pm
LM10 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the upgrades will be used at all other GP's as well since they worked.

Ferrari was again the fastest car on the straights in Singapore, if you check the maximum speeds. Overtaking a Mercedes on euqally fresh tyres and highest engine mode on the short straights in lap 1 in Singapore isn't one of the easiest things in the world.
U are right and i think that too. But even if is not so simple to overtake in the first drs strait, i was sure that Vettel could have overtake Ham: maybe the fact that strait comes after a fast/mid corner impacted on the acceleration advantage of Ferrari out of corners.. or maybe this upgrade is draggy!..
I still think is the second option true.. and i think Ferrari will be in troubles in those Gps were they cant take the first row in qualy.

Sevach

Post by Sevach » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:15 pm

Caped nose at scrutneering, spoon RW.

Morteza

Post by Morteza » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:27 pm

Sochi

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ashwinv16

Post by Ashwinv16 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Baku Spec Diffuser, different leading edge though.
Halo not as bad as we thought

MtthsMlw

Post by MtthsMlw » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Ashwinv16 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 pm
Baku Spec Diffuser, different leading edge though.
What changed in Baku?
This is same one as in Singapore.

Sevach

Post by Sevach » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:46 pm

New and old nose.