Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BrunoH
BrunoH

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

yap softer rear, also good for rear traction

Tzk
Tzk

Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Well, i wouldn‘t call the german autobild a reliable source either... AMuS is (to me) a by far better source. And if they haven‘t mentioned it yet (same as otger reliavle sources), its probsbly clickbait of autobild...

So, if the ferrari has a squatting rear, it must be a passive system which isnt banned yet. Or its just a soft rear suspension. I also don‘t buy the half sec over the mercs, especially since tge merce seem to run with heavy fuel and mostly for setup purposes.

LM10
LM10

The rear suspension on the Ferrari is now hydraulically controlled. Ferrari wants to totally benefit from their high rake.

So nothing other teams haven't been using until now.

That's the article which was published prior to testing already, explaining it more detailed: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... a/4337138/
Last edited by LM10 on 20 Feb 2019, 01:38, edited 2 times in total.

LM10
LM10

syntaxerror147 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 23:09
LM10 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 23:05
It’s very visible how the Ferrari tiltes under braking. Especially at the end of the long straight. Much more than other cars.
Any footage where you can clearly see this? I tried to find something, but in my opinion there is nothing realy visible, especially when seeing the front of the car.
I haven't found a footage which shows the car from front as it approaches the braking zone at the end of the long straight. If I find some material, I can send it later. If you have the chance to watch Sky F1, have a look tomorrow. They film the front of the cars at the end of the long straight.

Tzk wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 00:00
Well, i wouldn‘t call the german autobild a reliable source either... AMuS is (to me) a by far better source. And if they haven‘t mentioned it yet (same as otger reliavle sources), its probsbly clickbait of autobild...

So, if the ferrari has a squatting rear, it must be a passive system which isnt banned yet. Or its just a soft rear suspension. I also don‘t buy the half sec over the mercs, especially since tge merce seem to run with heavy fuel and mostly for setup purposes.
Which isn't banned yet? So you're sure it's gonna be banned? :)
Btw, it's not a clickbait. I sent the original italian article mentioning it above.

zibby43
zibby43

LM10 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 01:11
syntaxerror147 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 23:05
It’s very visible how the Ferrari tiltes under braking. Especially at the end of the long straight. Much more than other cars.
Any footage where you can clearly see this? I tried to find something, but in my opinion there is nothing realy visible, especially when seeing the front of the car.
I haven't found a footage which shows the car from front as it approaches the braking zone at the end of the long straight. If I find some material, I can send it later. If you have the chance to watch Sky F1, have a look tomorrow. They film the front of the cars at the end of the long straight.

Tzk wrote:

Btw, it's not a clickbait. I sent the original italian article mentioning it above.
Wait, the original article was from an Italian source?

LM10
LM10

zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 01:17
LM10 wrote:
syntaxerror147 wrote:

Tzk wrote:

Just the suspension thing was mentioned in this article (I think at first, but not sure).

The Ferrari clearly tilts more than others under braking. At least that's what I've seen today. I don't know what else should happen in combination with such an article for people to believe that Ferrari has done something at the rear suspension system.

zibby43
zibby43

LM10 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 01:27
zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 01:17
LM10 wrote:

Just the suspension thing was mentioned in this article (I think at first, but not sure).

The Ferrari clearly tilts more than others under braking. At least that's what I've seen today. I don't know what else should happen in combination with such an article for people to believe that Ferrari has done something at the rear suspension system.
Thank you for clarifying!

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Would it be a softer rear suspension, or would it be about tuning the 3rd "heave" spring to provide a better aerodynamic platform?

Kalsi
Kalsi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhVpSHQHbws
This video sadly starts with Seb`s spin.

But then it comes the magic...
At the start of the video just after the spin, an insane amount of rake is visible...
Starting from sec 00:51 the car can be seen tilting in an impressively quick way under braking and acceleration....
Last edited by Kalsi on 20 Feb 2019, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

wuzak
wuzak

MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 23:00
I think the rear axle just lowers under aero load on the straights.. Nothing new and nothing illegal. Some active device would obviously be illegal.
Red Bull have been doing this for years.

cramr
cramr

djones wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:58
Due to the lack of bumps in the engine cover it HAS to be fatter than the Merc?

Given the bumps are due to mandatory mountings that cannot be moved.
The bumps in the Merc are not to cover the engine mounts, I'm sure they have a radiator in there (like past years)

Tzk
Tzk

LM10 wrote:

Perfect, thanks for pointing that out. Will read the italian source now via translate.

Regarding the ban: I was refering to the passive systems, not the possible ferrari solution. Active suspension (like Fric) is already banned, while passive systems aren't (but heavily depending on their exact function). I suspect that the FIA will have a very close look at the system and if it's within the rules ferrari will use it.

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Vanja #66

Bit too much brightness, but we can see the diffuser.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Polite
Polite

Tzk wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 09:57
LM10 wrote:

Perfect, thanks for pointing that out. Will read the italian source now via translate.

Regarding the ban: I was refering to the passive systems, not the possible ferrari solution. Active suspension (like Fric) is already banned, while passive systems aren't (but heavily depending on their exact function). I suspect that the FIA will have a very close look at the system and if it's within the rules ferrari will use it.
Rbr is doing this from Mexico 2018 till now.. Clarified is legal. But now that Ferrari has this, will be banned.. also for Rbr.

Then Ferrari will introduce the front Merc idraulic suspension to make this be banned too.. And every team will have to reverse back to standard system (what Ferrari always claimed till 2016 ;P )

funny story ofc..