Renault F1 R.S. 19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Enstone

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 19

We can see some interesting things fellas !

Here we go :

The rear wing with some holes on both side

Differents bargeboards from the 3D renders (something RB14 like)

Seems like there's two supports for the mirrors just like for all the other teams

SBG
SBG

Isn't it a regulation that mirrors have to be mounted at two points

henry

SBG wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 15:53
Isn't it a regulation that mirrors have to be mounted at two points
The regulation is for a maximum of two. One allowed on the survival cell the other directly below the mirror.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

_cerber1

Neno

those bargeboards closer to suspension on the car are illegal in 2019. but they look like those from RS18 so they likely are same ones. either renault didnt bothered putting 2019 ones or certain car parts are still in development.

f1rules

mirrors inspired by ferrari, new frontwing similar to mclaren
open in tab and zoom
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dzi2xdJX4AMkVEp.jpg:large

Mansell89

The black livery around rear and sides hides a lot of the detail we’d be looking for I guess?

Interested to get some testing photos next week to see how far this develops.

By the way, I thought the engine sounded awesome. Anyone else think it had a bit of growl about it that was different to last year?

(Not that it means it will be any better!)

Manoah2u

Mansell89 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 23:15
The black livery around rear and sides hides a lot of the detail we’d be looking for I guess?

Interested to get some testing photos next week to see how far this develops.

By the way, I thought the engine sounded awesome. Anyone else think it had a bit of growl about it that was different to last year?

(Not that it means it will be any better!)
that's just the honey badger you're hearing :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

carisi2k

wesley123 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 12:02
carisi2k wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 23:39
I thought I made my arguments clear that the airbox / engine cover, nose and the sidepod area are too big on the rs19.
How? The sidepod has a rather big undercut, the airbox isn't really special in that regard either, and neither is the nose.

Oh and the rear wing looks like it is larger for some reason as well even if they are all supposed to be the same or similar.
That's probably because the 2019 rules allow for a larger rear wing.
Have you seen all the other 2019 cars launched, especially the 3 teams above them in the pecking order. The airbox/engine cover, sidepods and nose are all much larger. The reason it looks like it has a bigger undercut is because the sidepod is much larger. The red and blue teams undercut isn't as pronounced because the sidepod is tiny in comparison. Having seen other cars I will also say that they haven't done anything with the front suspension either. The silver, red and blue team in particular are extremely tight in this area. Freeing up air to flow to places they need air to flow to.

etusch

djos

Scarbs has put up his video analysis on the RS19.

"In downforce we trust"

rayden

Flying JPS Lotus

Looks like they're running hollow mirrors like the ones on this year's Red Bull.
"Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"

#AeroUruk-Hai

Mat-tes

Very selective picture from Renault, let's see on Monday for more pictures.

- 1 ) New cut on the end of the front wing endplate, probably to spill more flow outboard (above the final i of infiniti).
- 2 ) Looks like the top wing element is shaped into a gurney flap (allowed by the regulation)
- 3 ) Inner element shaped and raised to drive the vortex.
- 4 ) Brake ducts looks to have an additional inlet.
- 5 ) Does the suspension geometry and pickup point look higher than on the rendering or is it just me?
- 6 ) Wing mirror placed as far out as allowed by the regulation with the allowed 2 mounting points (plus Ferrari style casing).
- 7 ) The engine cover looks massive from this angle but the sidepod looks much narrower than last year.
- 8 ) Looks like the aero cat has an additional lower element now (metallic fixation on the lower part of the deflector not visible on the rendering).
- 9 ) There looks to be an additional vane below the crash-structure lower sidepod wing.
- 10 ) Like last year small winglet on the halo for flow attachment.
- 11 ) Similar to the rendering, the DRS actuator is mounted really high out of the flow way.
- 12 ) Floor is different from the rendering, but can't see much in this picture and most likely not final.

No T-wing for now.

With the original picture being so dark, there's a lot of artifact from the brightened picture that makes it tricky to see everything.

Edit:
Because it's quite common I forgot they now have a S duct (above Daniel's 3) and more complex rear wing endplate (McLaren style) compare to their initial rendering.