Renault F1 R.S. 19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1Krof

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 19

Wroom wroom

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I guess they're playing with putting the tyre temp sensor in that location and so making use of it as a turning vane too. Clever, if so.

I do like how the flap adjuster is shaped as an aerofoil in order to turn the flow and create a vortex. Tiny little detail which they hope will add up to aid performance.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

Now they are testing with rear wing

Via AMuS
Last edited by Morteza on 01 Mar 2019, 16:48, edited 8 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

wesley123
wesley123

What are they testing with this?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dren

Deflection? Maybe the paint shows better on an optical type sensor? Or maybe it'll show flowvis better? Or maybe they are comparing paint types? Not sure.

Edit:

From Autosport live feed:

05:49 The reason for Renault running with its rear wing covered with a white wrap has been explained by our technical editor Jake Boxall-Legge. The team is measuring wing flexure - a day after it had two spars mounted over the front of the nose to monitor areas prone to flex
Honda!

roon
roon

I believe it would be optical sensors mounted in the standard camera housings, for video analysis later. Look closely in the image below. In the driver's right side camera pod, you can see a small porthole pointing at the white circle beneath it.

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 16:38

F1Krof wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 17:59
MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 16:38
I'm assuming some kind of sensors? :lol:
Probably just plain structural elements. They may have done a back-to-back comparison of the wing supported and unsupported.

MtthsMlw

Yes, since basically all FW are designed to flex they're trying out what happends if they don't.

factory_p

roon wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:15
Probably just plain structural elements. They may have done a back-to-back comparison of the wing supported and unsupported.
I read it's not supporting the wing but measuring its flexibility. The wires are connected to linear displacement sensors mounted atop the weird bridge-style structure and encapsulated in an aero neutral foil.

That way they have a direct measurement and can correlate that with the optical sensors pointing towards "target stickers" or white areas of the wing.

roon
roon

factory_p wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 16:35
roon wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 22:15
I read it's not supporting the wing but measuring its flexibility. The wires are connected to linear displacement sensors mounted atop the weird bridge-style structure and encapsulated in an aero neutral foil.

That way they have a direct measurement and can correlate that with the optical sensors pointing towards "target stickers" or white areas of the wing.
Could be although the pillars look machined from one piece. I doubt there are gun drilled long chases through them for necessary wiring. What correlation would be needed? They know the diameter of the black dots in the reference markings. Their displacement can then be observed and measured with video, precision dependent upon pixel resolution.

gambler
gambler

I would put load scale sensors between the wing and the nose in a square pattern. and the same type load sensor at the strut braces on the rear diffuser. The numbers themselves would be interesting to look at with varying tires and chassis set ups alone.

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

I bet on a complete new "parachute" rear wing design for melbourne as aero bigest change , and new breaks systems too ..

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

ReoPTy wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 17:26
I bet on a complete new "parachute" rear wing design for melbourne as aero bigest change , and new breaks systems too ..
Hopefully no need for a re-design not with first few races being med-high DF. they could just remove some of the elements in the wing to trim some DF and balance the car if they need to? Id expect a Low DF version ready for Canada GP. The biggest issue seemed to be the battery systems which weren't working properly during the first test.Renault did a lot of tests on the flexibility of the wings during the days in testing, so hopefully these are fairly settled concepts by now and no big redesign.. Hopefully they've made a step up to the top three and we can have a top 4.. :wink:
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Blackout

Blackout

Open DRS - reduced rake - FW very close to the ground

ScrewCaptain27

AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian