Renault F1 R.S. 19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 19

Thermal cameras for the tires on the front wing

Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JordanMugen

carisi2k wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 03:47
The car is lacking everywhere and both Daniel and Nico know it. It lacks reliability, handling and even PU performance. Even the Mclaren is faster.
Medium-speed downforce is OK! :wink:

Everything else: terrible. Lol.

aral

Please, if you want to talk about the team, do so on the team thread. This thread is about the actual RS19

Blackout

carisi2k wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 03:47
The car is lacking everywhere and both Daniel and Nico know it. It lacks reliability, handling and even PU performance. Even the Mclaren is faster.
Nope. Engine performance is there, like Hulkenberg and Prost said and the datas confirm that. The chassis is the problem this time (like Hulk also said) because it didnt improve enough compared to 2018 and still has big weaknesses (mainly the same weaknesses as 2018).

carisi2k

Except results show that PU performance isn't there. If it was there then why did Daniel try to pull off that ill fated move under braking at turn 3 instead of being able to do it on the straight bit with DRS assistance.

PhillipM

Because if you don't have enough traction you'd be waiting another half a lap.

digitalrurouni

carisi2k wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 12:45
Except results show that PU performance isn't there. If it was there then why did Daniel try to pull off that ill fated move under braking at turn 3 instead of being able to do it on the straight bit with DRS assistance.
I think PU performance is there look at McLaren. However as was pointed out the chassis isn't which explains Ric losing one of his most potent weapons- his late braking dives.

JordanMugen

Blackout wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 08:19
Nope. Engine performance is there, like Hulkenberg and Prost said and the datas confirm that. The chassis is the problem this time (like Hulk also said) because it didnt improve enough compared to 2018 and still has big weaknesses (mainly the same weaknesses as 2018).
So....

Engine performance - OK
Mid-speed downforce - OK
Traction - Poor
Ride control - Poor
Braking - Poor
[ Downforce consistency - Poor (if the rear end instability is due to aerodynamics?) ]

So... What is the pathway to fix the car? :wink:

Firstly, I think they should improve the braking performance. Ricciardo lacks his trademark braking confidence and both drivers had excessive brake locking in Baku. How can that be fixed? Would changing to an alternative brake supplier help (apparently Renault uses different brakes than Red Bull), or is the problem due to suspension geometry, shock absorbers or aerodynamics?

On the other hand, Renault will go to smooth medium-speed circuits like Barcelona and Renault will likely perform OK, as these types of circuits will not exaggerate the flaws of the RS19. But is it really OK to leave problems unfixed!?

factory_p

carisi2k wrote:
Daniel saw an opportunity, he went for it but forgot the RS19 doesn't have the supreme braking of his previous car. He admitted he rushed into overtaking Kvyat when really he should have waited for the next start/finish straight.

dren

I'm guessing low front down force and/or the front wing being pitch sensitive and dumps down force when pitching forward during hard braking events.
Honda!

JordanMugen

dren wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 15:18
I'm guessing low front down force and/or the front wing being pitch sensitive and dumps down force when pitching forward during hard braking events.
I see! Could the problem be related to the Renault having the highest rake of any 2019 F1 car? :?:

[High rake would be fine if Renault's air flow management was sophisticated enough to pull it off, but doesn't seem like it is.]

dren

JordanMugen wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 18:09
dren wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 15:18
I see! Could the problem be related to the Renault having the highest rake of any 2019 F1 car? :?:

[High rake would be fine if Renault's air flow management was sophisticated enough to pull it off, but doesn't seem like it is.]
It didn't work so well when the wing was ripped off Ricciardo's car in AUS being close to the weeds.
Honda!

carisi2k

factory_p wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:33
carisi2k wrote:
Daniel saw an opportunity, he went for it but forgot the RS19 doesn't have the supreme braking of his previous car. He admitted he rushed into overtaking Kvyat when really he should have waited for the next start/finish straight.
He rushed because he knew he didn't have the straight line power to get past kyvat. The RS19 has many many bad points and the PU is amongst those.

Mclarensenna

carisi2k wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 23:03
factory_p wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:33
carisi2k wrote:
He rushed because he knew he didn't have the straight line power to get past kyvat. The RS19 has many many bad points and the PU is amongst those.
I think also he went from the redbull easily the best braking car on the grid to Renault one of the worst braking cars on the grid. Even without that the most Ric would have got was 8th. Renault seemed slower than they were last year in Bakhu.

Renault needs to make some serious changes to how that organisation is run as it does not matter who you put in that car, Ric, Alonso, Hamilton, Verstappen, it will get lapped by the leaders in every race it is that slow and off the pace.

factory_p

carisi2k wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 23:03
He rushed because he knew he didn't have the straight line power to get past kyvat.
Yet he got past some Ferrari and Merc powered cars down that straight. This doesn't really add up, does it?

I'm not implying the Renault has mega top speed or the PU is better than another PU or anything, don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to stay objective.