Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bill shoe

Re: Red Bull RB15

Yea I understand the general rationale of cost control, but "5.3 kg" seems a weirdly precise and non-round number given that it's way way lighter than any plausible conventional crankshaft. Was some manufacturer actually at or close to 5.3 kg? That would be truly mind blowing as godlameroso implied.

P.S. yes the new RB has anorexic rear hips, very impressive itself.

PhillipM

Yes, the FIA consulted teams on part weights at the time, don't forget unlike an F20C or even the bike engine an F1 motor isn't doing 100k miles on the road with intermittent oil changes and blasted from cold. You could probably take a good 7-8kg out of an S2000 crank even without a design or material change if you weren't so bothered about longevity.

F1 cranks are running hollow journals too these days, which is a huge portion of weight out.

ENGINE TUNER

trinidefender wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 21:45
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 07:10
Weight and CoG of the PU'S is standardized by the regulations. The Honda pu is no lighter or heavier than it's competition(they are ballasted). The weight of the carbon fiber airboxes above the PU is negligible, it's volume is of much more importance, although less so since the rear wing has been raised. Please stop arguing about nonsense.

The RB15 looks good, but will only go as far as Honda pu reliability(combined with Newey's uncompromising packaging) will allow. They are already planning on taking at least 4 pus this season, if not 5.
"The weight of the carbon fiber airboxes above the PU is negligible" this statement is entirely incorrect. Teams put a lot of R and D into making the roll hoop as light as possible. The reason is that the roll hoop contains the roll over crash protection. There is a lot of carbon fibre up there to create the strength needed.
I was referring to the airboxes, not the roll hoop obviously, as we were talking about the PU weight and CoG.

xavier

Newbie question here. Could it be that having the drag of the radiators on top of the engine, instead of the sidepods, is done to transfer a bit of downforce from the front to the back.

DiogoBrand

xavier wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 04:23
Newbie question here. Could it be that having the drag of the radiators on top of the engine, instead of the sidepods, is done to transfer a bit of downforce from the front to the back.
You are right. Having the center of drag higher up on the car will transfer load from the front to the rear tyres. I just don't think this effect is considerable just by moving a few coolers from the sidepod to the airbox.

rebel

Espresso wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 23:29
I was a bit curious what was hidden in the darkness and put the nose through an image-editor...
Don't mind the arrow....check the (reversed) gills on the side of the nose...

Noob question.
But would these 'gills' scoop up more air, speed & tidy the airflow up?
Looks to me its ment to smoothen and the air before its released over the midsection.
Or would they push the fast moving air under the floor to create a lower pressure?

HPD

Big Tea

DiogoBrand wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 04:39
xavier wrote:
You are right. Having the center of drag higher up on the car will transfer load from the front to the rear tyres. I just don't think this effect is considerable just by moving a few coolers from the sidepod to the airbox.
Just wondering, (again) as long as the strength could be maintained, could a 'radiator' be incorporated into the roll hoop? Being stuck up there in the air stream as it is?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

rebel wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 11:14
Noob question.
But would these 'gills' scoop up more air, speed & tidy the airflow up?
Looks to me its ment to smoothen and the air before its released over the midsection.
Or would they push the fast moving air under the floor to create a lower pressure?
Are you asking about the vanes under the nose?

They have 2 jobs 1) is to reduce pressure under the nose which makes some downforce and helps extract flow behind the neutral bit of the front wing, 2) the footplates are shaped to help manipulate the Y250 vortex coming off the inboard section of the front wing as it progresses down the chassis, keeping it intact and positioning the centre for maximum effect.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

DiogoBrand

Big Tea wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 13:24
DiogoBrand wrote:
xavier wrote:
Just wondering, (again) as long as the strength could be maintained, could a 'radiator' be incorporated into the roll hoop? Being stuck up there in the air stream as it is?
I don't know, but if you took the entire roll hoop for that, you'd lose the clean air to feed the engine intake, and also you'd need more piping than if the radiator is placed further back as they are right now, raising the center of gravity and increasing the overall weight.

paddyf1

DiogoBrand wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 16:05
Big Tea wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:

I don't know, but if you took the entire roll hoop for that, you'd lose the clean air to feed the engine intake, and also you'd need more piping than if the radiator is placed further back as they are right now, raising the center of gravity and increasing the overall weight.
Radiators not in the roll hoop but just back. http://f1i.com/magazine/magazine-techni ... ars.html/3

paddyf1

paddyf1 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 19:08
DiogoBrand wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 16:05
Big Tea wrote:

Radiators not in the roll hoop but just back. RB13. http://f1i.com/magazine/magazine-techni ... ars.html/3

lio007

Do you think RBR might use Toro Rosso for testing the lower-outter-frontwing-section-concept?

etusch

lio007 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 08:46
Do you think RBR might use Toro Rosso for testing the lower-outter-frontwing-section-concept?
by producing one of it, they can test it on their own car.

McMika98

lio007 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 08:46
Arent they already doing that. TR wing looks very promising and clearly a refined design that might have had few iterations of development already. Fact that they already drove the car suggests it was developed at quicker rate than TR is capable of.