Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Red Bull RB15

Maplesoup wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 09:17

Maybe this is also a little bit of a chance to give a "screw you" too Riccardo. If they win his home race there are going to be a lot of questions for him about the choice that he made to move to Renault.

I would doubt that a team would actually push forward development just for that reason, but I would also imagine some ego's are a bit sore about him leaving for their ex-engine supplier.
I doubt this very much. The teams move on very quickly between drivers and everyone will be focussed on the coming season. They certainly wouldn't rush through an upgrade as a "f*** you!" to a previous driver, no matter how many big egos there are in the team.

One thing they will want to do is be much quicker than Renault, as a team, and preferably they will want to be higher up the grid than they were with the Renault engine. That's the corporate "f*** you" that the egos would be looking for - but then only because it helps their championship aspirations.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

garygph
garygph

PhillipM wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:41
godlameroso wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:35
I would say it's a performance upgrade. Newey is excited and confident about it's potential so it was rushed out.
I'd say some of that, some because of the test issues they had, and probably mainly because of the crashes wiping out all their spare parts anyway.

If you've got changes in the wings to resolve issues and you need to rush new parts through anyway because of crash damage - may as well take a risk and push through the development pieces you have in progress instead of stopping to make more of the first package.
Agree with both the above. I also think that they may not have been totally convinced that Honda would deliver but now are more than just happy and have a massive surge of enthusiasm especially from Newey who is in a position to drive it forward ( advanced expensive additional work) and get it approved.
I am REALLY looking forward to this years season!

BwajSF
BwajSF

I say redbull are doing bluff after bluff and keeping Good and Positive news for Honda and their partnership in the media. Redbull have not shy-ed away from praising honda so so much for thier reliability in the winter testing,
But the interesting fact is that it was Honda (not redbull) after testing on their first meet with media said they had some packaging issues which might cause trouble in races in future so the are going to revise the packaging of Redbull.
As Usual redbull side gave no peep about this news..

Revising the packaging means the aero of the car's rear end air flow is supposedly going to change and to accommodate them certain changes in aero (Upgrades) need to be placed in the car. And Redbull house as usual making that also a positive news by saying they brought their upgrades 2 races earlier... may be if they didnt thier car would have had cooling problems.

We are know how much of hot air Horner & Helmut keep feeding the media with.. in a couple of days we will know..
Personally.. I m calling Helmut's statement n all positivity from Redbull a big Bluff...

Wouter

BwajSF wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 11:39
Honda said they had some packaging issues which might cause trouble in races in future so the are going to revise the packaging of Redbull.
Revising the packaging means the aero of the car's rear end air flow is supposedly going to change and to accommodate them certain changes in aero (Upgrades) need to be placed in the car.
RBR doesn't need to to revise the packaging of the engine in the car
They still had +/- 4 cm of space around the engine, but Honda
admitted that they had made the engine unnecessarily compact.
Honda has now placed a few heath shields between the engine parts themselves
and placed some parts slightly differently.
So there is no need at all for RBR to change the car for the engine.
The Power of Dreams!

BwajSF
BwajSF

Wouter wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 11:54
BwajSF wrote:
Honda said they had some packaging issues which might cause trouble in races in future so the are going to revise the packaging of Redbull.
Revising the packaging means the aero of the car's rear end air flow is supposedly going to change and to accommodate them certain changes in aero (Upgrades) need to be placed in the car.
RBR doesn't need to to revise the packaging in the car because of the engine.
Are u sure?? Cause Honda in their media briefing meant it would be a problem..
And also the support pillars that were connected from floor to exhaust in second in-season testing... aiding to the vibration from engine.. drama... but yeah Saturday we will all know.

Wouter

BwajSF wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 12:09
Wouter wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 11:54
BwajSF wrote:
RBR doesn't need to to revise the packaging in the car because of the engine.
Are u sure?? Cause Honda in their media briefing meant it would be a problem..
And also the support pillars that were connected from floor to exhaust in second in-season testing... aiding to the vibration from engine.. drama... but yeah Saturday we will all know.
Yes, I am sure.
Honda also said it wasn't a problem at all! Only if they didn't fix it, it perhaps could cause problems.
In Japan they have placed heat shields in the engine section and the problem was solved.

The "support pillars" were temporary, because the new reinforced floor was logically not ready yet in Barcelona.
Those vibrations have now been resolved.
The Power of Dreams!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Capharol wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 01:52
SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:46
Capharol wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:37

not only a stretch, but a completly wild guess
In F1, speeding development isn’t an easy task, unless you are cutting some corners or not delivering the “finished” product... A big team like RBR doesn’t build 30 days of contingency into their development plans... If they are rushing upgrades that weren’t supposed to be ready until China, that means that they think that even when they may not be finished, they need them as soon as possible to rectify an issue or improve performance that the original plan didn’t indicate they would need so soon.

Teams will continue development until the final possible moment... So, if they are rushing upgrades that weren’t supposed to be ready until China, it’s probably because they think that they need that additional performance right now... Is it because they think that with it they can win in Australia or is it because they feel that without them they would be too far behind? I believe is the latter one, but we will find out in a couple of days
well i heard rumours that the parts they bring now were so promising that they rather have them in Melbourne already.
Nothing was broke, it wasn't bad or they were behind, it's just they (again rumour) they gained significant time with these parts

if this is true we will never exactly know, but let see and may the best team/driver win
We will know very shortly!!! It’s going to be great to finally see the cars in action and let the testing speculation die (and the in-season speculation be born!, haha)...

So, if Red Bull is still behind both Ferrari and Mercedes (which don’t seem to be bringing many updates), even with the new parts... Would you agree that the car from testing was “slow”? I mean... If they were a few tenths from Ferrari and this upgrade is bringing them additional pace, they should match them or beat them, right?... But what happens if they don’t? Who will we blame? The chassis? The engine?

Can it be Saturday already? :)

etusch

You are planning to blame something by starting from saturday not even sunday but they are saying it is only visible that who is where after a few races.
I expect at least a podium from first race

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

etusch wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 15:03
You are planning to blame something by starting from saturday not even sunday but they are saying it is only visible that who is where after a few races.
I was just basing my assumption on what is been said in this thread, that the RBR is only a few tenths away from Ferrari, so if they are rushing an upgrade that wasn’t intended for another 30 days it has to be to beat Ferrari... The whole argument is in regards to 2 premises, one is that the team is bringing the new parts to be further at the front, the other one is that the team is behind their targets for the beginning of the season and need this upgrade to stay close to Ferrari, Mercedes (which will also proof that everything that Marko says it’s either a lie or has to be taken with a huge “cliff” of salt)

Why Saturday? Because on qualifying we should be able to see the team performance, in the race, the result could not be related to the team’s performance, but external factors.

Capharol
Capharol

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 16:55
etusch wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 15:03
I was just basing my assumption on what is been said in this thread, that the RBR is only a few tenths away from Ferrari, so if they are rushing an upgrade that wasn’t intended for another 30 days it has to be to beat Ferrari... The whole argument is in regards to 2 premises, one is that the team is bringing the new parts to be further at the front, the other one is that the team is behind their targets for the beginning of the season and need this upgrade to stay close to Ferrari, Mercedes (which will also proof that everything that Marko says it’s either a lie or has to be taken with a huge “cliff” of salt)

Why Saturday? Because on qualifying we should be able to see the team performance, in the race, the result could not be related to the team’s performance, but external factors.
you are thinking the others stop developing =D>
in the Merc topic there is talk about updates that bring them a second .... should we all now think Merc will win without any problem?
your way of thinking is one dimensional, you're basic thinking is already offline ....but hey ppl will always find something to bash on RBR-Honda so... i don't really care if you or others think if it's bogus or taking it with a "cliff" of salt because i look it at it from every angle i can imagine....

and you know what? not even the AUSGP can determine who is really infront because it is a specific track where overtaking is very difficult, I even think till Barcelona we can't really say who is better :wink:

Bumper cars
Bumper cars

Nobody is bashing RBR-Honda... This is simply a healthy discussion/a bit of speculation if the "China upgrade" is a much needed fix or really an upgrade.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Bumper cars wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 18:47
Nobody is bashing RBR-Honda... This is simply a healthy discussion/a bit of speculation if the "China upgrade" is a much needed fix or really an upgrade.
Exactly! There is 2 thought process in regards for them to be rushing an upgrade, either it is because it will give them a chance to really fight at the front of the grid or it is to supplement deficiencies to their car that would have got them closer to the midfield than it would to the front... This isn’t the usual upgrades “planned” for Melbourne (which I’m sure they will also have), this is them reducing development on those parts by 30 days and that’s what creates suspicion in regards to where they really are in the pecking order.

Due to Gasly’s crash, there is no actual data to validate where they are in the grid and the data that exists places them closer to the midfield than it does to the front

HPD

Remember.
We are in a technical thread :)

Capharol
Capharol

HPD wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 18:54
Remember.
We are in a technical thread :)
my mistake, i took it to far offtopic….

Again from what i heard these updates would bring them a gain of a few tenth, and this was meant as "on top" as what they already had
Last edited by Capharol on 13 Mar 2019, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

China upgrade means the engine has passed the cooling and reliability tests with flying colours! Normally teams start the fly away races with big cooling holes when they are not confident in the reliability or when the packaging hasn't bee ironed out yet. I take it as a positive this China upgrade is being brought forward.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏